I know I'm not the only one. Have the left swayed you towards the right?

Lifelong democrat, the party no longer represents myself, or my interests.

Or sanity, hard working people, and personal accountability.

I used to focus on arguing against the "right" more so than the "left" in the past, in American terms, since I saw them as more capable of committing irrepairable damage. But the right-wing ideology has seen reform after being subjected to a lot of criticism and is starting to employ a more sensible approach to running a society, than in the past, away from blind patriotism, religious fervor and interventionism. People are no longer arguing in favour of conservative ideology merely based on "tradition" and because "that's how it's supposed to be" and how it says so "in the word of God", but people are actually using factual evidence and statistics nowadays to argue in favour of conservatism and small-scale governing.

Right now, it is simply more practical to focus on the inconsistencies and point out the major flaws in leftist thought. Until the left is forced to under-go a proper self-criticism, and take another look at what kind of a world they are wanting to build for the next generations, it's going to be hard to conduct any type of dialogue due to the type of dogmatic insistence that they will be on the "right side of history" regardless of how many fuck-ups there will be along the way.

I used to be much more tolerant and open minded to the left. I could never understand those who would view the left as literal enemies who are going to destroy America. Well, I understand now. I no longer have any tolerance for their ideas nor their corrupt political representatives.

They (along with neo-con republicans tbf) have made a disaster of things. Wars all over the place, $20T in the debt, 10-30 million illegal immigrants in our country just chillin, jobs going over seas, racial and social upheaval, corruption everywhere you look. I mean got damn. It's literally could not be worse.

It's time for the adults to take over for a while and clean house.

You know I thought the exact same thing years ago on sherdog. I remember when posters like smasheroffaces would say that libs were trying to destroy America I would laugh and call him a fucking idiot. And he was an idiot but now i understand that there was some validity to what he was saying.

I used to focus on arguing against the "right" more so than the "left" in the past, in American terms, since I saw them as more capable of committing irrepairable damage. But the right-wing ideology has seen reform after being subjected to a lot of criticism and is starting to employ a more sensible approach to running a society, than in the past, away from blind patriotism, religious fervor and interventionism. People are no longer arguing in favour of conservative ideology merely based on "tradition" and because "that's how it's supposed to be" and how it says so "in the word of God", but people are actually using factual evidence and statistics nowadays to argue in favour of conservatism and small-scale governing.

Right now, it is simply more practical to focus on the inconsistencies and point out the major flaws in leftist thought. Until the left is forced to under-go a proper self-criticism, and take another look at what kind of a world they are wanting to build for the next generations, it's going to be hard to conduct any type of dialogue due to the type of dogmatic insistence that they will be on the "right side of history" regardless of how many fuck-ups there will be along the way.

Good post.

Agreed. I would add that underlying reasoning on which an opinion is built is more important than the actual opinion. For instance, conservatives and I agree that abortion is wrong but my opinion is based on personal accountability and deep adoration of life whereas their opinion is based on following the word of god who happens to say it's wrong. You see where I am going? Remove god from the equation and their position is susceptible to going 180.

It is for this reason that we should evaluate and categorize people based on reasons behind their opinion, not the opinion itself.

Last edited:
Half of the Europe turned right because of what left pro immigrant anti christian politics have done.

But i guess most people dont really identify with lefr or right. When things were "ok" under all left wing goverments in Europe, people were cool with it. Most of my friends who vote right wing now dont really see themselves as Conservatist, they just want some change. Some radical steps, someone who's gonna get shit done.

I despise conservatism and always will. but the left has managed to make me hate them as much, with their Social Justice Crusade, open border policy and apology of Islam.

both sides are composed of useful idiots spreading ther stupid ideas, hordes of sheep blindly following them (and thinking that somehow their party is defending their interests) and a handful of cynical careerists on top, making profit off them.

Agreed. I would add that underlying reasoning on which an opinion is built is more important than the actual opinion. For instance, conservatives and I agree that abortion is wrong but my opinion is based on personal accountability and deep adoration of life whereas their opinion is based on following the word of god who happens to say it's wrong. You see where I am going? Remove god from the equation and their position is susceptible to going 180.

It is for this reason that we should evaluate and categorize people based on reasons behind their opinion, not the opinion itself.

Indeed. I'm not so concerned with people's opinions, even the more disagreaable ones, but how they have come across them, and why. Someone who is simply a part of a greater collective, is of little concern to me, because none of their ideas are truly their own, and have not developed as a result of life experiences and attained knowledge, but rather the emotional impulse to be part of a large, supportive group.

It is easy to parrot someone else's ideas, but much, much harder to develop your own. Not that all of mine are my "own" either, I would consider such a thing impossible without having lived in a cave for all of my life, which I haven't.

I will respect a leftist with original ideas much more so than a right-wing groupie. That so-called right-wing person may very well be a leftist tomorrow if the balance of power shifts in the other team's favour. There is no content to their character, and dialogue with such people is a waste of time in general, since they do not really have much invested into what they are saying outside of using the "proper" arguments and terminology in an effort to stay within the acceptable parameters of the in-group.

People who identify themselves as either left or right are simpletons, imo. I'd be embarrassed to categorize myself in such a way.

I completely understand where you're coming from but, here's my two cents.

If you identify as a left leaning individual and you believe in the things that you do for reason then stay that way. The left and Democrats in general have turned into a bunch of losers that don't know how to win and have forgotten about the people they claimed to support.

There is an identity crisis amongst left-leaning individuals and especially the parties that claim to represent them, but at the end of the day, It doesn't mean that progressive liberal values aren't worth it anymore it just means that we have piece of shit spokesmen who are bought and paid for and don't have enough of a spine to fight for anything they "supposedly" believe in.

Don't let the losers of the left push you towards ideologies that don't agree or identify with.

But that's just me...
The Left's agenda is to take every dumb white male college student, shove their dick and balls so far up their own pelvis, they're considered women and can march in solidarity with all Feminist, pro women marches.

Then on the weekends these same dick and ball shoved "men"??? can walk behind the 5 actual black ppl in BLM and march towards a future riot black friday sale.

I don't know if I've been swayed right as much as I've just been swayed to just dislike the PC crybaby liberals.

The Left's agenda is to take every dumb white male college student, shove their dick and balls so far up their own pelvis, they're considered women and can march in solidarity with all Feminist, pro women marches.

Then on the weekends these same dick and ball shoved "men"??? can walk behind the 5 actual black ppl in BLM and march towards a future riot black friday sale.

That's the the regressive left-wing. That doesn't define all left leaning people.

That's like saying all righties believe the earth is 6000 years old and the devil tricked people into believing evolution.

When I joined the Democrats in 1997, for me it was all about supporting the working class and protecting our rights, specifically the 1st and 4th amendment.

But they are now run by Hollywood, wallstreet and smug entitled identity politics professors. No room for the middle class anymore.

Yes. It would appear that the left has no endgame, they just want to belittle everyone and micromanage shit that doesn't matter to me. I'm not gonna feel bad about saying Merry Christmas. Get a life. I can get with saving the whales and shit like that, but speech micromanagement and gotcha politics have become overwhelming and progressively :) more and more petty.

I think the true political spectrum is tyranny vs liberty or authority vs freedom and what the left now represents is increasingly tyrannical and authoritarian. I think their insane stance on Islam has also driven many people away.

I used to quite happily refer to myself as liberal with some left leaning views, and I still am in the classical sense, but now I am loathed to use those words in relation to myself because of the disgusting people who have hijacked the terms.

No, it's not some 0 sum game. The left moved farther from me, but so did the right. But I didn't go anywhere.

i have some liberal views ( I'm pretty big on sustainabiity and the environment, pro choice, more gun restrictions, less military spending, etc.), but I'm right when it comes to issues like immigration, welfare, states having more rights, healthcare, etc.

I guess I'm just an independent, i dont identify fully with Liberals or conservatives

It's funny how many people are totally incapable of evaluating issues on their own and coming to a conclusion and instead base their positions entirely on kneejerk reactions to whatever is happening in front of them at any given time.

Its funny how mentally weak a lot of people are to follow mainstream media, societal narratives, and cling to it for dear life. Women and feminism. BLM. Just the super powers of collectivism.

How so? I don't really see it this way. The way I see it, the Democrats have simply lost any credibility they might have had and so the GOP looks more attractive relative to that observation. If anything the GOP just keeps getting worse, just not as dramatically as the Dems have.

I find it astonishing that more people haven't gone independent, choosing instead to stay on this see-saw of self-deception.

Back