I know I'm late here, but Holloway vs Oliveira 2 makes no sense to me

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MMA, Aug 25, 2015.

1. MMA

MMA Silver Belt Platinum Member

I know the ending was anticlimactic but hopefully some of you saw the same thing I saw (i.e. how the fight went): Holloway was tooling him and outpacing him bigtime.

Holloway tooled him completely. Oliveira is a sick fighter but his striking style is pretty flat footed and plodding, only his kicks really have power and he stands totally upright with little in the way of defensive movement.

Holloway is on his toes with great movement, he's much faster, more accurate, hits harder, and is just in general a stylistic nightmare for Oliveira. It really didn't take long to see that.

Oliveira's only chance to win would be a hail mary sub (didn't look like that would happen) or landing one of those big kicks (not even close). As it was, Oliveira was already fading badly when it ended and didn't seem to have a thing to offer Holloway.

So yeah I know the ending sucked but it's not like it was some close fight or some great match we need to see again. Despite the wonky finish, it was entirely clear who the better man is in that matchup. Holloway's win is legit and there's just no need to run it back IMO

2. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

Holloway was winning the first fifth of the first third of the fight. He looked great, but it was too early to know how things were going to unfold.

I have no problem with a rematch, but I'd rather see Holloway fight someone else fairly quickly while Oliviera heals up.

3. MMA

It wasn't too early

Oliveira was ready to quit already

4. Arkridge

Arkridge Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

The fight didn't last two minutes...

5. Redhawks100

Redhawks100 Gold Belt

Please, stop. He looked decent while the fight lasted but did no significant damage. A rematch is in order especially since it shouldn't have even been a win for Holloway to begin with. Should be a NC.

6. Sgt Smith

Sgt Smith Bassed God

I second this, it was way too early to tell. I wish Charles a speedy recovery, but don't want to see Max on a shelf.

7. IngaVovchanchyn

Well if I've learned nothing else from Sherdog this summer, I know for a fact that body shots do not sap a fighter's will to fight.

8. Koro_11

Koro_11 Silver Belt

I wouldn't mind a rematch, but if they find them both another top 10 opponent soon I wont mind that either.

9. SwitchOrSpladle

SwitchOrSpladle White Belt

anyone know any updates or how long oliveira has to recover from the esophogeal tear? I didn't see anything on the front page

10. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

There is no such thing as a Hail Mary Sub.
    There are several steps and positions involved with getting a submission, which need to be done against a guy who also knows those steps and positions.

On the other hand, any heavy fisted guy can land a punch in a split second against a more skillful fighter...

11. KhabibTheBeagle

KhabibTheBeagle Papi de la Sherdog

Max should stay busy, but they really should have a rematch. For closure, if nothing else.

Are you trolling when you say Max tooled Oliveira on the feet? He threw more strikes, but Oliveira blocked or got out of the way of most of them. Charles landed a nice knee to the body as well, so it was competitive. FAR too early to make a conclusion of how the fight would go, and nothing of significance had happened to make me think otherwise.

12. Forever Young

Forever Young Balls Deep Belt

TS, I strongly disagree with your opinion, and while I generally feel that your opinions are poor, this one is particularly abhorrent.

you couldn't have just deleted the thread???

13. chickenlip

chickenlip Navy blue belt

The Mayberry lounge by way of Staten Island, NY
    Its very unfair to say that based on less than half of one round. If Oliveira got a takedown in the first round the fight could've went in a different direction, but we didn't get a chance to see that. I hate rematches but this one should definitely happen

14. Paradigm

Paradigm Gold Belt

seriously...maybe I was watching a different fight than TS. I didn't see anything conclusive in that short time.

15. Arrrrgh

Arrrrgh Black Belt

This.
    It's like the TS has never seen a fight where the guy who won the first round ended up losing...
    And he didn't even have the round in the bag yet.

16. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

Guys come back. Momentum shifts. Losing guys can get subs. One punch could change the fight. The fact remains that the fight was not ended because of a fight. The question remains unanswered. Who would win that fight?

17. MMA

Sometimes a fight doesn't need to last long to see who's better

this was one of those times

Do you legitimately wonder who's the better fighter at this point? You shouldn't. It was pretty damn clear.

They're 23 and 25 years old. They'll almost definitely fight down the line at some point.

The point of this thread is that many fans see a fluky injury finish and automatically want a rematch because 'anything can happen in a fight' and the other guy could have won.

Is it within the realm of possibility that Oliveira would have won? Sure. Was it probable considering how the fight was playing out? Not at all. Do I sit here wondering who would have won? Not at all. Do I need to see a rematch to get closure? Not anytime soon.

18. IngaVovchanchyn

Holloway by eso****us-bar.

19. GoldenGloryFan

GoldenGloryFan Purple Belt

Holloway looked the far better striker and I figured Oliveira was in trouble when Max easily avoided being taken down but you can't really say Oliveira doesn't deserve a rematch because he was being out performed for the first two minutes of the fight.

20. Shoot Boxe Hero

Shoot Boxe Hero We are Rizin!

Holloway was winning for 2 minutes, as we all know every winner is determined by the first couple of minutes you cant possibly come back from 2 mins of losing...

You're an idiot. Oliveira didn't even get rocked or dropped, it was just a couple of mins of Max landing more strikes.