I just wrote my car off

Be warned - Lexus/Toyota's 8-cylinder vehicles are less reliable than their 6-cylinders.

How much less reliable? No idea. I just know they're more prone to have mechanical failures.

And I wouldn't be too sure about that $20K estimate, especially since gas prices have skyrocketed, and the 2008 ISF gets 18MPG.

But hell, if you can get some sucker to buy it now, do it.

for sure, it’s the nature of the beast when you are dealing with 420 hp

it has some issues like the valley plate leak but people have put 300K+ miles on it.

used car prices have skyrocketed due to the chip shortages and it’s about to get worse because Hurricane Ida flooded hundreds of thousands of cars.

ManheimUsedVehicleValueIndex-LineGraph.png

I’m a part of the lexus isf groups and I’m well aware of the prices of these vehicles. If I put my car for sale for $20K tomorrow someone would buy it. These cars are hot. Plus I live in Cali which boosts the prices as well.

only 3K remaining in the US.

I’m not even interested in selling it though. Probably gonna appreciate in 10 years once it starts becoming a collectible vehicle.

It depends on the policy you have. If you have comprehensive coverage, the insurance company is required to make you whole. That can be done in three ways.
1. Repair the vehicle you have.
2. Replace the vehicle with another one of the same make, model, mileage and condition.
3. Pay you the amount of money it would cost to replace the wrecked vehicle.

Do your homework. Find out what vehicles like the one you had are selling for in your area. A local dealer has a 2014 Ford Fusion with 111,000 miles listed at $11,500.

Insurance companies often try to give you a low ball price. Tell them you want them to find a replacement vehicle and they are more likely to get to the actual value.

Last edited:
for sure, it’s the nature of the beast when you are dealing with 420 hp

it has some issues like the valley plate leak but people have put 300K+ miles on it.

used car prices have skyrocketed due to the chip shortages and it’s about to get worse because Hurricane Ida flooded hundreds of thousands of cars.

ManheimUsedVehicleValueIndex-LineGraph.png

I’m a part of the lexus isf groups and I’m well aware of the prices of these vehicles. If I put my car for sale for $20K tomorrow someone would buy it. These cars are hot. Plus I live in Cali which boosts the prices as well.

only 3K remaining in the US.

I’m not even interested in selling it though. Probably gonna appreciate in 10 years once it starts becoming a collectible vehicle.
Good info. Sold a Nissan I bought in 2017 for more than I bought it for to Carvana a month ago

Like a quarter of it is completely fucked, thankfully not the side I was driving in...much to the dismay of many of you I'm sure. The axel is completely buggered.
It's a 2014 Ford Fusion I bought from new at around 26k. What happens in these situations if it's a write off? Do you get any money back at all?
fusion ? is that a mondeo ?

The Insurance company will give you book value. They choose the book they use. Should be some money in there for you. As long as you are OK, any material item can be replaced. In the next few days monitor your back and neck, sometimes accidents take a few days to manifest. I suggest doing some nude stretches. Maybe film it, im no expert back doctor, but I'll take a look.

Had phone in front pocket on vibrate. Phone rang repeatedly, eyes fluttered, toes curled, then BAM!

when did you buy it, and is the loan still active or paid off?

In the world we live in now car prices are actually inflated. When they give an offer here’s what you need to ask

“what is the method you used to value the vehicle?”

Have them give you as much info as possible. Do not hint that you’re looking to get more, they’ll shell right up and will become rude and unresponsive.

Once you know the method, do your research. Find out what it’s accounting for and what it’s not. The only method that really will give YOU the full value is NADA. Everything else has areas of weakness that can be exploited or criticized.

Additionally, any upgrades or add ins that didn’t come standard with the car, start thinking about those for leverage. You can get several thousand more than what they’ll initially offer you if you play this correctly
2014 Ford Fusion SE, bought it new in 2014 for 26k, it's all paid for. This is going to be a nightmare for my other half, I can't sort it out at work.

The Insurance company will give you book value. They choose the book they use. Should be some money in there for you. As long as you are OK, any material item can be replaced. In the next few days monitor your back and neck, sometimes accidents take a few days to manifest. I suggest doing some nude stretches. Maybe film it, im no expert back doctor, but I'll take a look.

The insurance company has no choice but to do what is stated in the policy they sold. Their responsibility is to make their policy holder whole. That means replacing the vehicle less any deductible. The adjuster will attempt to spend the least amount possible and try to tell the policy holder many things to accomplish that. Many people aren't well informed so they can get by with it. It can be a good idea to take the policy to a lawyer or at least tell the adjuster that you will. I've had people tell me that insurance companies decide who is at fault. Only a court can decide who is at fault.

In the 1970s I crashed a vehicle on ice. The insurance company offered a very low price. I went around to dealers to check prices. I found one dealer who advised me to use the 3 magic words. Find another car. Book prices don't mean anything. All that matters is what it costs to replace what you had.

Completely my fault. The guys I smacked into were okay but I can imagine they will claim whiplash or some other injury. And I wouldn't blame them for that.

Then it depends on what type of coverage you have. If you only have liability insurance then you’re SOL and won’t get anything for your vehicle. If you have collision coverage then you will get a pay out on your car based on some value, often Kelly Blue Book value, but it depends, less your deductible.

Then it depends on what type of coverage you have. If you only have liability insurance then you’re SOL and won’t get anything for your vehicle. If you have collision coverage then you will get a pay out on your car based on some value, often Kelly Blue Book value, but it depends, less your deductible.
I think my husband paid $500 deductible last night, it's all a massive blur. That was a decent car, first one I've bought fresh of the forecourt. Got us from east to west coast and I've gone and fucked it up, I feel bad for my husband, he really liked that car.

Back