I just wrote my car off

fingercuffs

36CFIST
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Like a quarter of it is completely fucked, thankfully not the side I was driving in...much to the dismay of many of you I'm sure. The axel is completely buggered.
It's a 2014 Ford Fusion I bought from new at around 26k. What happens in these situations if it's a write off? Do you get any money back at all?

Like a quarter of it is completely fucked, thankfully not the side I was driving in...much to the dismay of many of you I'm sure. The axel is completely buggered.
It's a 2014 Ford Fusion I bought from new at around 26k. What happens in these situations if it's a write off? Do you get any money back at all?

Hope you didn’t get hurt<Oku04>

Matters,
Where you at fault..?

I've had my insurance company consider my car "totalled" after an accident. They will attempt to give you the least amount of money as possible and if you want more than their low offer you must be willing to argue with them for extended periods of time. Glad you're ok.

Glad you're ok. It will likely depend on how good your insurance is. Good luck.

when did you buy it, and is the loan still active or paid off?

In the world we live in now car prices are actually inflated. When they give an offer here’s what you need to ask

“what is the method you used to value the vehicle?”

Have them give you as much info as possible. Do not hint that you’re looking to get more, they’ll shell right up and will become rude and unresponsive.

Once you know the method, do your research. Find out what it’s accounting for and what it’s not. The only method that really will give YOU the full value is NADA. Everything else has areas of weakness that can be exploited or criticized.

Additionally, any upgrades or add ins that didn’t come standard with the car, start thinking about those for leverage. You can get several thousand more than what they’ll initially offer you if you play this correctly

Glad you're ok.

Good luck with your insurance company, dealing with them can sometimes be like pulling teeth

What exactly happened?

If you were involved in an accident at the fault of another driver, (providing they have insurance) you should be entitled to trade in value of your car, plus rental, plus pain and suffering.

Be prepared to haggle over your car's value, and keep mentioning you've got pain and injuries from said accident.

It all adds up.

Good luck.

Hope it wasn't single car, (your fault) accident.

Damn that sucks dude. Sorry for your loss

This all depends on the state and your coverage.

MN is a no-fault state so here if you have full coverage your insurance company has to compensate you for the loss. Like others have said they will try to low-ball you on the value.

If you have just minimum liability if the accident is your fault you get jack shit. If the other person is at fault their insurance company should pay you for your loss and they're even more likely to try to shaft you.

Some policies have full replacement coverage meaning they will pay you the full amount it costs to buy a similar vehicle as to the one you lost (same year, milage..etc).

Glad you're ok! If your insurance writes it off, you'll probably get the current blue book value.

You bought a new car at 26K miles?

Edit - oh, you meant $26K.

Yeah, you fucked up by buying a new American-made car.

I bought my 2016 Lexus for $30.K in 2019 and it had 11K miles on it. Its going to last me decades.

Hell yeahhh

I just got a 2008 Lexus ISF … 420 horsepower

119K miles only $12K rebuilt title… been working on it bit out like $2K into it

I could resell for $20K

ima keep it though… at least 5-10 years

Lexus/Toyota all the way

Hell yeahhh

I just got a 2008 Lexus ISF … 420 horsepower

119K miles only $12K rebuilt title… been working on it bit out like $2K into it

I could resell for $20K

ima keep it though… at least 5-10 years

Lexus/Toyota all the way

Be warned - Lexus/Toyota's 8-cylinder vehicles are less reliable than their 6-cylinders.

How much less reliable? No idea. I just know they're more prone to have mechanical failures.

And I wouldn't be too sure about that $20K estimate, especially since gas prices have skyrocketed, and the 2008 ISF gets 18MPG.

But hell, if you can get some sucker to buy it now, do it.

Back