I just watched the most ridiculous shit on National Geographic

my kali guru's always respected the dog brothers they disagreed with the training methodolgy. I always thought what they did was more realistic and usefull than constantly just drilling though. its probably just because i hate drilling things over and over again.

No, when I want something realistic, I look for something realistic. Running up to someone swinging a stick like a lunatic isn't realistic.

Have you ever seen a streetfight. I haven't seen every streetfight but have seen my fair share to now how people who dont know what they're doing fight. They either throw wild looping punches, grab the other guys shirt and throw wild looping punches, and I've even seen some one grab a pipe and swing it wildly at someone before. And in the FMA's, all their weapon techniques transfer to empty hand.

Do you really think some joe shmoe is going to throw pretty little jabs at you in a streetfight? NO. The DogBrothers are legit and they practice in my opinion the most realistic martial arts for self defence.

Dog Brothers have been around for a lloooooong time and they trained with Machado bros. - they are a good friend of the original pre-UFC BJJ scene.
Yeah mate Dog Brothers have been on the scene for many years.
Their old panic-training (or whatever it was called) which consisted of padding
your whole body then beating the crap outta each other was insane.

People seem to be under the impression if you're getting the shit beat out of you, it's good and realistic.

Wouldn't it be nice to learn how to NOT get beat up?

why do you have to rip on other people for having fun? so what if they dont have formal training

I'm not ripping on them, it just seems dangerous.

There's probably a better way to train.

They DO have formal training, it's call Filipino martial arts/stickfighting primarily.

All that shit they do, it's how to effectively crush someone's skull in with a fucking heat-treated ratten stick which can fuck you up about 9000 times harder and faster than a haymaker can.

If you wanna talk about "realism" or "hardcore" these are the LAST guys I would talk shit to in their face. I train Muay Thai 4-5x a week and preparing for smokers and I would say that I'm an alright fighter, but let's be real, even if you are professional MMA fighter, it's pretty goddamn hard to beat a guy armed with knives, sticks, and tazers and fights FULL CONTACT learning how to use those things as dangerously as possible.

So yeah, Dog Brothers have been around for AGES and are basically the epitome of "realistic and dangerous training." Don't like it? That's cool, it's not for everyone definitely. But to call them "retarded" or things like that? Why don't some of you fucking nerds show up at one of their meets and talk some shit, they would probably shatter your kneecap if you actually manned up to "spar" with them.

They DO have formal training, it's call Filipino martial arts/stickfighting primarily.

All that shit they do, it's how to effectively crush someone's skull in with a fucking heat-treated ratten stick which can fuck you up about 9000 times harder and faster than a haymaker can.

If you wanna talk about "realism" or "hardcore" these are the LAST guys I would talk shit to in their face. I train Muay Thai 4-5x a week and preparing for smokers and I would say that I'm an alright fighter, but let's be real, even if you are professional MMA fighter, it's pretty goddamn hard to beat a guy armed with knives, sticks, and tazers and fights FULL CONTACT learning how to use those things as dangerously as possible.

So yeah, Dog Brothers have been around for AGES and are basically the epitome of "realistic and dangerous training." Don't like it? That's cool, it's not for everyone definitely. But to call them "retarded" or things like that? Why don't some of you fucking nerds show up at one of their meets and talk some shit, they would probably shatter your kneecap if you actually manned up to "spar" with them.

From the way you describe them, maybe the show made them look bad. One of the guys they focused on clearly didn't know how to fight. They made him a "dog brother". Another guy basically just used his 300 pounds to end the fights quickly because these guys call off the fight once one guy is in a slightly dangerous position.

*shrug*

I would suspect NG down played the Dog Brothers for TV. A full on bout between Brothers could only be shown on pay-per-view if at all. That stuff is full on nasty violent. When people on here talk about how training dangerous targets like throat shoots or groin attacks would send you to the E.R., they are right. The DB do it and do send each other to the E.R..

I'm not ripping on them, it just seems dangerous.

There's probably a better way to train.

safer sure, they will even tell you that. Better, that on the other hand is open to debate, atleast for the Dog Brothers.

Funny. They aren't too far from wrong though. Guys these days are left with their masculinity gradually dying out as they sit in a cubicle somewhere and return to their wife and children in the evening to check e-mail, help with dinner, and go to bed early. I don't know if guys need to beat the shit out of someone. But I think they definitely do need to find ways to be men in healthy outlets.

The first rule of Fight Club is...:icon_chee

This. While I have no desire to train with the Dog Brothers I do respect their frankly insane mental toughness and fighting ability.:eek:

Interestingly, while the DB's promote their own system - and yes, Shertards, it IS a full martial arts system - they rarely talk trash about other styles. They seem content to do their own thing. And they are happy for anyone who thinks they know better to meet them on the mat...:icon_twis

No, when I want something realistic, I look for something realistic. Running up to someone swinging a stick like a lunatic isn't realistic.

You've never spent a weekend in Scotland, mate..:icon_lol:

It looks amateurish honestly. Sure I'm sure it hurts to get beat hard with a stick but none of these guys looks out of the world skilled or athletic or anything. It almost looks like LARPERS with real sticks.

So call me whatever but I will knock on these guys. It looks like toolville..

You should know your history about the Dog Brothers before you judge them. They have been around a long time and know what they are talking about. Long before the days of UFC. Even more important you should know about Kali/silat/escrima.

Those guys are pretty hardcore to fight with only fencing helmets. I've sparred the same way and got a pretty good beating. I walked away with several bruises and a large blood filled goose egg on my forearm.

When you grow up you will learn not to judge other styles. Kali/silat/escrima etc is one of the founding styles for Jeet Kune Do which is directly linked to modern MMA. Also when the Spaniards invaded the Philippines they learned empty handed fighting techniques that changed western style boxing to what we know it today.

Next time you make a thread try not being a douche it would get you further.

what you guys see as a lack of skill or "wild swinging" is due to your untrained eye. The dog brothers and their system is as legit as they come. They are a stickfighting style and the only way to train with any aliveness is to actually fight with sticks. Combat is rarely beautiful in it's rawest form.

YouTube - Dog Brothers - Los Trique

jump to about the 2:00 mark when they start adding strikes to their style.

It looks amateurish honestly. Sure I'm sure it hurts to get beat hard with a stick but none of these guys looks out of the world skilled or athletic or anything. It almost looks like LARPERS with real sticks.

So call me whatever but I will knock on these guys. It looks like toolville..

Go to one of the Gatherings and call them Tools. Like the Dr Pepper ad, what's the worst that can happen?:icon_twis

Back