I just watched the most ridiculous shit on National Geographic

SpineBreaker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The title was "Fight Club: No Limits" and it was about the "Dog Brothers", a bunch of redneck looking dudes who put on fencing masks and beat each other up with sticks and/or crappy martial arts skills. The sticks are apparently heavy enough to cause bleeding so I don't know what the fencing masks are going to do. They talk about needing to beat people up because men are naturally aggressive and if you don't get it out of your system you might go on a murdering spree or something...

There was a lot of talk about how it's a result of living in a violent society, and I can't help but wonder if these guys just watched some UFC and wanted to feel cool about themselves too, and they say winning and losing doesn't matter so that they can feel good about themselves and not have to worry about the possibility that they're wasting their time.

lmao I saw the same shit! ive always noticed theres alot of shit like that ever since mma blew up in america. Ive always wondered if its because they dont have what it takes to compete in mma

Well that's the thing. They obviously don't, that's why they're using sticks.

The think I don't get is, do they think this stuff would really help them for a real life situation? That's what the description on my TV said, it's to simulate something real, but they aren't learning anything realistic.

I don't get it.

I watched it awhile ago.
I think they have a few short doco's on the dog brothers and their whole stick fighting club thingo that they do

Dog Brothers have been in existance long before the UFC. They're well known among the arnis/kali/filipino stick fighting crowd.

The title was "Fight Club: No Limits" and it was about the "Dog Brothers", a bunch of redneck looking dudes who put on fencing masks and beat each other up with sticks and/or crappy martial arts skills. The sticks are apparently heavy enough to cause bleeding so I don't know what the fencing masks are going to do. They talk about needing to beat people up because men are naturally aggressive and if you don't get it out of your system you might go on a murdering spree or something...

There was a lot of talk about how it's a result of living in a violent society, and I can't help but wonder if these guys just watched some UFC and wanted to feel cool about themselves too, and they say winning and losing doesn't matter so that they can feel good about themselves and not have to worry about the possibility that they're wasting their time.

The dog brothers aren't a product of the UFC craze, though I do admit that sort of crowd typically isn't right in the head.

They've been around quite a long time, and one the first groups in America to adapt a realistic training regimen (in that they were actually practicing to hit each other). The training becomes useful when you can apply it against a resisting opponent successfully. Just like when a MT guy spars at 75%

Funny. They aren't too far from wrong though. Guys these days are left with their masculinity gradually dying out as they sit in a cubicle somewhere and return to their wife and children in the evening to check e-mail, help with dinner, and go to bed early. I don't know if guys need to beat the shit out of someone. But I think they definitely do need to find ways to be men in healthy outlets.

So National Geographic discovered a people group who never heard of hockey?

Yeah I saw that a while ago and didn't care about it until they said that no-one won and then that just seemed stupid to me. Also I don't understand why they were so on board with fighting with these knife taser things which seemed ridiculous seeming that one guy would be like a mechanic and another was a martial arts instructor which seemed crazy.

Funny thing to read from nerds without experience. Dog Brothers are RBSD (reality based self defense) guys who train for reality. Fighting may look fancy and cool when GSP and Anderson Silva does their thing. But normal people fight ugly.

So what do you look for when you look for realistic self defense? you look for the ugly and brutal stuff.. Like Krav Maga, Senshido, Tony Blauers sprear-system, Defendo, and other system like that.

Funny thing to read from nerds without experience. Dog Brothers are RBSD (reality based self defense) guys who train for reality. Fighting may look fancy and cool when GSP and Anderson Silva does their thing. But normal people fight ugly.

So what do you look for when you look for realistic self defense? you look for the ugly and brutal stuff.. Like Krav Maga, Senshido, Tony Blauers sprear-system, Defendo, and other system like that.

No, when I want something realistic, I look for something realistic. Running up to someone swinging a stick like a lunatic isn't realistic.

funny that this is brought up I found sherdog while looking for dog brother shit years ago. My feeling is different strokes for different folks. the tv show may have been retarded but go ahead and step in and you will be pleasantly suprised. saw an old vid of a guy split his knee wide open at one of those meetings so it for sure is not for everybody. as mentioned above they are well respected in the arnis/kali/escrima circles.

No, when I want something realistic, I look for something realistic. Running up to someone swinging a stick like a lunatic isn't realistic.

What do you think is more realistic than what they are doing? From what i've seen they do full contact sparring with sticks, shock knives, grappling, punching and kicking, pretty much everything you could do or might be attacked with in a fight.

Funny. They aren't too far from wrong though. Guys these days are left with their masculinity gradually dying out as they sit in a cubicle somewhere and return to their wife and children in the evening to check e-mail, help with dinner, and go to bed early. I don't know if guys need to beat the shit out of someone. But I think they definitely do need to find ways to be men in healthy outlets.

yea really

Can't say I would ever do that, but I fail to see how it's not realistic. It's just like Filipino stick fighting except using things that you would have lying around your environment that aren't sticks. And they go live. We at sherdog are always talking about the necessity of going live and they do just that.

WOW. This thread shows how many TUF noobs are on Sherdog, even in the training forums.

Dog Brothers have been around for a lloooooong time and they trained with Machado bros. - they are a good friend of the original pre-UFC BJJ scene.

They are a pretty hardcore outgrowth of Filipino Martial Arts, and you guys dissing them is like a fighter dissing a army soldier for not taking punches

Back