I just suck in fighting... how do you really improve in fight sports?

<Lmaoo>

7_1430485565.jpg

Dude, you're shorter than my wife.
On the bright side you're still ahead of @AndyMaBobs, who I believe is shorter than the average woman in my country.

On the bright side you're still ahead of @AndyMaBobs, who I believe is shorter than the average woman in my country.

Whats king manlet height? shin is around 5'7 you said andy is under that. What height can get a manlet some recognition around here
(''No height'' maybe a suitable answer too in the case that manlets cant get any recognition)

quit being such a manletphobe! Manletpride! Equal rights for Manlets! Manlets are hobbits too! Us manlets stick together!

MNRO9Tc.jpg

quit being such a manletphobe! Manletpride! Equal rights for Manlets! Manlets are hobbits too! Us manlets stick together!

MNRO9Tc.jpg

YEAH!!! MANLETS UNITE!!! WE SHALL TAKE OVER THIS WORLD FOR THE ASGARD!!!

(I'm also 5'7" like you shin and I am actually heavier then you for some reason)

@j123 has manletphobia to the extent that he is certainly under 5'5 feet himself. It's like the guy that yells out "who farted?" as to not raise suspicion after letting one go.

I'm 5'7 - / 170cm, same height as Shin- The average woman in your country is pretty tall, it's like 160cm in the UK

@j123 has manletphobia to the extent that he is certainly under 5'5 feet himself. It's like the guy that yells out "who farted?" as to not raise suspicion after letting one go.
6'5 online

You manlets and giants take a step back and explain my poor ass how to get better so it gets beaten less.

How do you get from a beginner to mid?
Explain all these advanced stuff as positioning, implementing footwork and etc.

You manlets and giants take a step back and explain my poor ass how to get better so it gets beaten less.

Have you tried asking your instructors for advice on something you want to improve on? Have you tried asking for advice on stuff you want to improve on from the top boxers in your gym? Or any boxer that beats you up in sparring?

Actually here's a better question how long have you been training?

Drill the basics. Its what youll always fall back on. Advanced things have to be tested and understood to be able to pull it off. If you cannot implement footwork and are sparring you should drill it shadowboxing. As my coach says "sitting ducks get shot"

Drill the basics. Its what youll always fall back on. Advanced things have to be tested and understood to be able to pull it off. If you cannot implement footwork and are sparring you should drill it shadowboxing. As my coach says "sitting ducks get shot"

What I do not understand from footwork is when I have to do lateral movement. I try to do it in defence, but in offensive situations it is hard for me to go lateral and change directions and angles and etc.

My coach tells me to surround. I understand how to cut and stop escaping someone, by punching from the side they want to escape. That is okay. But surround ??? Like what the fuck does it mean to surround? How do you suround someone if you are not in a close distance... they just turn? Or that is the idea to make them turn and look for oppenings? This is the stuff I do not understand the most.

What I do not understand from footwork is when I have to do lateral movement. I try to do it in defence, but in offensive situations it is hard for me to go lateral and change directions and angles and etc.

My coach tells me to surround. I understand how to cut and stop escaping someone, by punching from the side they want to escape. That is okay. But surround ??? Like what the fuck does it mean to surround? How do you suround someone if you are not in a close distance... they just turn? Or that is the idea to make them turn and look for oppenings? This is the stuff I do not understand the most.
Hours long of shadowboxing. Doing your footwork drills hundred thousand of times. The exercises no one wants to do because they are not interesting on the surface are the things that helped me the most. No shortcuts from that imo.

I said it before: drill. Put the footwork and evasion into the striking drill itself. Pacquiao has good exits after his combos, and he ingrained it.

I think he's telling you to corral/herd. Establish your strikes (e.g. establish your jab) so that it is feared. Then by getting into position/location of throwing a jab, you use the opponent's fear to make him go/retreat to a certain location in which he is disadvantaged. Then corner him and crowd him. That's surrounding (from what I know).

I mean I am comfortable with my combos, I am comfortable on the pads and etc. I d say I have a decent technique, but when it comes to put it together in a fight I suddenly suck.

being able to do it on the pads is one thing, in sparring is another.

Being able to do it in sparring is one thing, being able to do it in a fight is another.

Bas Rutten quote: If I told you to walk a 2x4, hey easy right! no problem, you could do it with your eyes closed. Now walk across that 2x4 that is 1000 feet in the air......whoa! suddenly much more difficult, yet the task has not changed, all you need to do is walk across that 2x4. This is just an analogy, anyways, this is why you see some guys who are great on pads but not so much in fighting, great in sparring but no so much in fighting, and you also see guys that may not be so good on pads or sparring, but fight well.

being able to do it on the pads is one thing, in sparring is another.

Being able to do it in sparring is one thing, being able to do it in a fight is another.

Bas Rutten quote: If I told you to walk a 2x4, hey easy right! no problem, you could do it with your eyes closed. Now walk across that 2x4 that is 1000 feet in the air......whoa! suddenly much more difficult, yet the task has not changed, all you need to do is walk across that 2x4. This is just an analogy, anyways, this is why you see some guys who are great on pads but not so much in fighting, great in sparring but no so much in fighting, and you also see guys that may not be so good on pads or sparring, but fight well.
So it is a mental thing then?

Even if you are a great fighter, there's always going to be someone faster and stronger than you. You may not know them yet, but they always come along.

I boxed competitively for a while knowing I wasn't going to be the best and that I was going to lose sometimes. But I'll be damned if that reality was going to get me down. I did it as a personal challenge, to get in shape and learn a sport..not because I expected to become the next Bernard Hopkins. It really was just about having fun and just getting better every time.

I think you be fine if you adjust your expectations a bit. You'll loosen up a bit and learn from every experience.

I said it before: drill. Put the footwork and evasion into the striking drill itself. Pacquiao has good exits after his combos, and he ingrained it.

See now this is a hard thing to do. My spar partners are ...
SP jabing him looks pointless as he just hooks around it. I do the same to be honest. It is not that we fear jabbing each other but there is a respect and fear of the hook counter. So it is hard to establish a jab.

The other guys are bigger and taller. Especially one of the guys is like 20 cm higher. How the heck do you establish a jab?

One of.the guys is good in slipping in to counter jab against my jab. But I have.figured out a way to step to my left and jab in order.to nulify his preferred.

I am mostly able to pressure most of.these guys, but my SP guy due to pure will. They are afraid because I am not afraid to take punishment when advancing. And heck I take some good shots often. Way too often for my liking in order to corner them and do some damage. I am quite decent actually in cutting the.ring and getting people on their backfoot, however I take lots of damage to get there.

Lastly I am unhappy about my counters and exchanges when put on defence. Like I suck at punishing people for mistakes and attacks.

So two major problems - entries and counters. I figured I can work on my entries to make them safer by drilling the whole package and not just the single and combo punches but I have no guidance in that...

Take 1-2-slip out-2 for example. It does not work for me. If they counter with a jab okay. But if they counter with 1-2 I land on their cross. So I stopped using it... and lots of fucking questions ...

I think he's telling you to corral/herd. Establish your strikes (e.g. establish your jab) so that it is feared. Then by getting into position/location of throwing a jab, you use the opponent's fear to make him go/retreat to a certain location in which he is disadvantaged. Then corner him and crowd him. That's surrounding (from what I know).

Back