Movies I just realized a plot hole in Days of Future Past

I'm Shawn Spencer

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And it isn't time travel related.

I'm watching it on FX right now, and they're at the scene when young Professor X and Magneto are talking to each other on the plane, after they break Magneto out of the pentagon. Magneto says he didn't kill JFK, he was trying to save him. Prof X asks why he would try to save him. And Magneto tells him that JFK was "one of us." Implying he was a mutant. Prof X is surprised to hear this.

But WHY? Professor X's whole thing is being able to find mutants, anywhere on the planet, using cerebro. Right? So Professor X of all people would for sure have already identified JFK as a mutant!

Bet those writers didn't think of that! lol but other than that I really like this movie, and it's very well written (especially for an X Men movie).

Oh, and WHY did Magneto say to Wolverine "Imagine if they were metal" when Wolverine popped his claws out? That's so stupid. Does anyone have an answer for that?

???
fassbender-649149.jpg

Maybe jfks power allowed him to shield his mind from cerebro.
but not from bullets

Oh, and WHY did Magneto say to Wolverine "Imagine if they were metal" when Wolverine popped his claws out? That's so stupid. Does anyone have an answer for that?

he probably wanted wolverine on his side, and possibly control him once he had the adamantium.

Man, magneto would have wrecked shop in the final battle from endgame.

Did Professor X have Cerebro in 1963? I thought he would have invented it later.

I can't really remember the timeline of the movie though.

Did Professor X have Cerebro in 1963? I thought he would have invented it later.

I can't really remember the timeline of the movie though.

DOFP was in 1973, and yeah he had Cerebro. In 73 he didn't have his powers, though. But he did in First Class, which was a decade earlier. And they had Cerebro in First Class. There's a scene where Prof X is finding a bunch of mutants in First Class. So he would've identified JFK at some point in the 60's I'm sure.

That sounds like a legit one.

What's always bothered me about the scene was how the hell did they capture Magneto in the first place?

Unless he's already trapped in some glass or plastic prison, he's pretty much impossible to stop.

Also inb4:

Someone who doesn't understand what "internal consistency" is says something like "you're worried about that in a movie with people flying and shooting eye lasers?"

What's always bothered me about the scene was how the hell did they capture Magneto in the first place?

Unless he's already trapped in some glass or plastic prison, he's pretty much impossible to stop.

Good point! Magneto did say "they took me down" or "they took me out" before he could completely curve the bullet away from JFK. But yeah, how would they have even done that?

And I was about to say how did they even know to take HIM down anyway? Unless he was waving his arms around during the events. But then I remembered the events in First Class, and it's likely the Secret Service was aware of who Magneto was and what he could do. So it's likely that they might recognize him. So that part actually makes sense.

The Irish are impervious to psychoanalysis

DOFP was in 1973, and yeah he had Cerebro. In 73 he didn't have his powers, though. But he did in First Class, which was a decade earlier. And they had Cerebro in First Class. There's a scene where Prof X is finding a bunch of mutants in First Class. So he would've identified JFK at some point in the 60's I'm sure.

Oh I see.

1963 was when JFK was assassinated.

Maybe he was surprised to hear it from Maggie but not to know it.
Also inb4:

Someone who doesn't understand what "internal consistency" is says something like "you're worried about that in a movie with people flying and shooting eye lasers?"
Well I wouldn't say that is too far afield unless we want to include wobbly usage of "plot hole." It's all just compensating for some of us simply being unable to abide the idea we just didn't get it or went down the wrong path.

7B64A735-419C-4C20-86D9-8E1F4479E7D9.gif

Maybe JFK's mutant power laid dormant. Probably triggered when he and Robert eiffel towered with Norma Jean.

Were Wolverine’s claws bone or metal in the past in DOFP? I don’t remember, haven’t seen it since it was in theatres.

How did Wolverine get his metal claws back after losing them in the Wolverine. To me that’s one of the biggest plot holes/loose ends of all time.

Were Wolverine’s claws bone or metal in the past in DOFP? I don’t remember, haven’t seen it since it was in theatres.

How did Wolverine get his metal claws back after losing them in the Wolverine. To me that’s one of the biggest plot holes/loose ends of all time.
I think the question you want to ask is whether his claws were metal in the future. When he goes back in time he goes back to the point before Brian Cox bonded his skeleton. The metal wasn't technically removed yet.

I don't know if it's ever been explained, because his claws are metal by LOGAN, which further presents the idea of multiple or altered timelines, which means anything is possible, even do-overs.

I think the question you want to ask is whether his claws were metal in the future. When he goes back in time he goes back to the point before Brian Cox bonded his skeleton. The metal wasn't technically removed yet.

I don't know if it's ever been explained, because his claws are metal by LOGAN, which further presents the idea of multiple or altered timelines, which means anything is possible, even do-overs.

I knew they were metal in the future in DOFP which was inconsistent with the ending of Wolverine, but I couldn’t remember their status in the past of DOFP because I couldn’t remember if that was supposed to be before or after the weapon X stuff.

Back