I just re-watched Can Velasquez vs Denis Stojnic

And man ohhhhhh man, there was a thread earlier about the toughest chins in MMA and after watching that fight, Stojnic's name should have definitely been mentioned in that thread.

Gets TKO'ed and someone makes a thread about how good his chin is...

That spinning elbow Schaub hit him with was really hard as well, but Rothwell just flailed back like an angry bear

Gave us one of the funniest knockouts in mma history.

Did arvoloski actually tko/ko him? Or was it like the Cain fight where the ref stopped It because rothwell used his face as protection

Gave us one of the funniest knockouts in mma history.

Did arvoloski actually tko/ko him? Or was it like the Cain fight where the ref stopped It because rothwell used his face as protection

this highlight vid shows some of it but not the finish but i remember it being pretty brutal where he finished him on the feet, not a lights out KO but kinda close iirc, not like the cain fight for sure

He also, IIRC, stuffed quite a few takedowns in that fight. Stojnic was better than a 5ft 9in heavyweight ever should be, IMO!

cain vs stojnic is cain's best striking performance ever. It shows that he has very good, diverse striking.

Big Nog might be considered better by some but only because it's a higher profile performance. I really think getting caught aside, Cain can stand with JDS, at least a lot better than Frank Mir (who lasted almost 2 full rounds)

The stoppage was one of the most awkward endings to a fight that I can recall. Cain was throwing steady pitter patter GnP. The ref eventually pulled him off. Cain stood up and reset, thinking it was a standup.

Very anti-climactic finish; Joe pointed it in the post-fight interview.

Cain has no finishing ability for resilient fighters. If you don't flat out quit, only a ref stoppage will end it and that's not going to happen with Stojnik and Rothwell-like GnP versus a champion like JDS on bottom. Short of a cut or a controversial stoppage by a shit ref, it'll be near impossible for Cain to stop Junior IMO.

The stoppage was one of the most awkward endings to a fight that I can recall. Cain was throwing steady pitter patter GnP. The ref eventually pulled him off. Cain stood up and reset, thinking it was a standup.

Very anti-climactic finish; Joe pointed it in the post-fight interview.

Cain has no finishing ability for resilient fighters. If you don't flat out quit, only a ref stoppage will end it and that's not going to happen with Stojnik and Rothwell-like GnP versus a champion like JDS on bottom. Short of a cut or a controversial stoppage by a shit ref, it'll be near impossible for Cain to stop Junior IMO.

it was the correct choice. Denis had taken a kicking and was going nowhere.

it was the correct choice. Denis had taken a kicking and was going nowhere.

I don't disagree. Notice how I never said it was a "bad" stoppage; it was an awkward one.

It's a testament to Cain's finishing ability, or lack thereof.

Most epic mispelling since Big Nig?

Haha I remember that thread. Then someone posted a pic of Kongo...

TS I don't really remember that fight, will look for it now to refresh my memory

Edit - Just rewatched it. Cain looked great and showed alot of diverse striking, but I didn't see many big bombs to the chin. Denis got beat the hell up, showed toughness to survive the first round but that's about it.

Last edited:
He never had pillow hands, lol.

That was Sherdog being Sherdog
I think even his coach said that he has learned to develop power. Sort of making it clear they didn't think he had power before. If you have a bunch of fights where you literary punch a guy a few hundred times and never fail to visibly hurt or knockout your opponent, then you clearly don't have a lot of power.

Gets TKO'ed and someone makes a thread about how good his chin is...

I bet you hate it when anybody suggests Cabbage had a great chin. 6 TKO/1KO losses? Yeah right!

(!)

Back