I just got my @$$ whooped

johil d'o said:
I can see already that you are going to have to learn to get over your own ego. Training in BJJ is not about trying to impress everyone else in the room. It's about making progress, given whatever base line you are starting from. If you don't "leave the ego at the door", you'll one day find yourself avoiding classes or other training partners that you fear might get the best of you.
I agree. Although arrogance is often good during competition, when training you should hang your ego at the door. After every practice, I ask my training partners if they noticed any mistakes or errors. My main goal is to learn, so it is ok to be submitted by your mates sometimes. I generally try rolling with more and more experienced people until my submission frequency is about 50% or less. How else do you learn but by rolling with people of equal or greater skill, after all! (Of course, I'll roll with those with less experienced than me too, for the same reason.) That's also why I enter every tournament I can... I care more about the experience of rolling with different people to test myself than actually winning (although precious metals are really nice).

Wow... define stereotype..... I can see where you all would say ego I would just remind you that you have only seen one statement from me and to assume ego basedon one statement would be foolish think about some of the things you say during the course of a day. What are some of the things peopel owuld say about you if they only took one sentence or one thought out of your entire life. But oh well. message boards thrive off of drama. Best to you all.

dsatt said:
Wow... define stereotype..... I can see where you all would say ego I would just remind you that you have only seen one statement from me and to assume ego basedon one statement would be foolish think about some of the things you say during the course of a day. What are some of the things peopel owuld say about you if they only took one sentence or one thought out of your entire life. But oh well. message boards thrive off of drama. Best to you all.

People would hate me and you're right, none of us know you.

This is a good board, if you post questions people will help, if you achieve something people will congratulate you.

There is the occasional unhelpful and arrogant poster here but like you say, you shouldn't judge them on one statement.

Good luck with BJJ!

Soid said:
I've been training for 7 months, and still get choked, subbed, owned by everyone. Deal with it.

I'm right there with ya

Back