I just dont understand this Brady-Rodgers stuff. Sorry

Brady has never had any help and has single handedly won 5 Super Bowls, please try to keep up

Brady lead the league in passing with Deion Branch and David Givens as his two best receivers. He was a goal line stand away from the Superbowl with Reche Caldwell as his best receiver.

Rodgers never had a receiving core as bad as the Patriots in 2006.

Rodgers also never had these two targets:

Brady had Moss for like 1.5 seasons and Gronk misses half of every season with injuries; what the hell is that supposed to prove?

The main argument to make for Rodgers against Brady is that Belichick is the GOAT coach while McCarthy is mediocre or even bottom tier. Both QB's have been throwing to guys at WR who don't do shit once they leave, and haven't had a true workhorse RB since the Bush administration.

I’m not going to get in a wall of text debate with you but this caught my attention. Brady’s started 261 games and Rodgers has started 152(drafted later and didn’t start for 3 seasons). That’s almost 7 seasons worth of football so I’d say that it’s pretty lopsided.
Tough shit. Riding the pine is part of the sport. Speculating that he would have been just as great during those early years if he had been good enough to be put ahead of Favre, which the coaches clearly didn't think he was, is yet more speculation. Furthermore, this dismisses the entrenched observation (across all major sports, not just the NFL) that production and performance deteriorate sharply correlating to game-age, not just chronological age. That's a shitload of hits that Aaron never had to take while he matured in his safe little cocoon. Those are miles on the odometer.

Tom was winning while Aaron was cheerleading.
I’ve never even heard of QBPR and it’s apparently so obscure that Google hasn’t either. You also seem to be confusing records with statistics because most of your list are records (most in a season)

Stats show that per attempt Rodgers throws for more yards, more TD’s, and fewer interceptions - that is an undeniable fact. So any of the season records you listed are a result of more passes thrown and/or an outlier that resulted in one season from Brady veering away from his statistical mean
It's an acronym, dude. It shouldn't be hard to figure out I abbreviated "QB Passer Rating".

Still a better metric for determining the QBs who go deep, and that's in spite of the fact QBPR doesn't have a reverse wins-value weighting built into its formula.

not only is Rodgers more talented but just look at bradys competition. he plays in the worst division in football. the rest of the teams in his division have 5 playoff wins since 2001. the Pat's start every season 5-1 minimum. For the first 13 years of bradys career he only had to beat one guy to make it to the super bowl, manning, whereas the NFC is a gauntlet every fucking year. he's got 8 fucking super bowl appearances in his career. that's unreal. more a testament to the lack of competition than greatness.

Huh? Who did they beat in the Superbowls then? Teams from their own division? I guess I wasn't paying attention who plays who in the Superbowl.

It's an acronym, dude. It shouldn't be hard to figure out I abbreviated "QB Passer Rating".

Still a better metric for determining the QBs who go deep, and that's in spite of the fact QBPR doesn't have a reverse wins-value weighting built into its formula.

Well you’ll have to provide a link because I can’t find jack shit about it unless it’s this one which looks like a complete troll job - Brady is 11th and Rodgers is 18th, both behind juggernauts such as Trubisky and Fitzmagic on the season:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Not surprised you think the best metric would be a rating system that accounted for wins, convenient since the Pats are 13-6 without Brady since he took over compared to 7-14-1 for the Rodger-less Pack. That 68.4% win rate for the Patriots is better than any other team in the league since 2001 if I’m not mistaken

Anyway, I’m out - no one’s changing their mind over anything posted here. I jumped in when you said we couldn’t measure talent (true) but we can certainly see and appreciate it. I’ve never seen Brady do anything that I didn’t think Rodgers (or others) could do better given the same circumstances, meanwhile I see Rodgers do things every week that Brady could never dream of - just look at the 55 yarder from last night

The GOAT said it himself when talking about how Rodgers would fare on the Pats: “He’d throw for 7,000 yards every year. He’s so much more talented than me.”

Brady lead the league in passing with Deion Branch and David Givens as his two best receivers. He was a goal line stand away from the Superbowl with Reche Caldwell as his best receiver.

Rodgers never had a receiving core as bad as the Patriots in 2006.

Don’t think he ever had a defense as good as the patriots in 2006 either.

Tough shit. Riding the pine is part of the sport. Speculating that he would have been just as great during those early years if he had been good enough to be put ahead of Favre, which the coaches clearly didn't think he was, is yet more speculation.

To your own point coaches must’ve thought Brady wasn’t as good as Bledsoe considering Brady began on the bench and only started when he did because Bledsoe almost had a career ending injury. That’s not really a fair argument since the coaches hand was forced in the case of the patriots.

No, yours is a shortsighted argument that takes for granted the very thing demanded of it to demonstrate.

What is talent? Prefontaine believed it was a myth. I do not, but the problem with talent is its ephemeral nature. It's impossible to concretely gauge when defined in an abstract sense as you guys are using it, here. Is it Tom's 40-yd dash time? Because if we are assessing physical attributes Aaron isn't the most talented QB we've ever seen, either. I used to enjoy the more philosophical think pieces by T-Nation S&C coaches over a decade ago. A moderator named @Urban turned me onto a theologian with a specialty in track & field named Dan Johns, and I always appreciate the more philosophical approach to his articles. Few are better acquainted with the nebulous nature of the talent debate than these coaches. Dan once wrote a piece where he mused on the fact the most talented ultrarunner in history likely wouldn't be perceived as an extremely athletically gifted person in our culture because our sports revolve around strength and power, and these exceptional ultrarunners often had more mediocre potential for those pursuits. He mused on the fact the least controversial way to define talent was as the "capability to perform a certain task."

So what task is Aaron able to perform so well towards being the best QB that Tom cannot? The truth is the question of what it takes to be great at QB is as controversial and slippery as the question of how to define or quantify talent itself. There's always disagreement about where to focus a player's practice & gym sessions: what capabilities to develop. There is heated disagreement between coaches and scouts who will be the most valuable or talented recruit. You can talk about his weak arm, but it hasn't prevented Tom from marching down that field.

In the broadest sense I believe talent, the way it is being treated here, is similar to general strength carryover. The guy with the biggest squat might not be able to beat the guy with the best leg extension, but take those two around-the-world on leg day, and the guy who squats more is going to win. He has more "talent" (in this sense absolute strength of the legs and posterior chain).

You guys believe Aaron has the greater natural squat strength. I did, too, then Tom appeared in 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls, and won 2. Dude was 40 playing for it last year. So how do you prove that Aaron is more talented? The notion is that if you were picking teams with a rookie Tom Brady and rookie Aaron Rodgers both available you would take Rodgers. This decision would hinge on the belief that Aaron would prove more capable/successful with a wider array of teams than Tom would.

Where is the evidence for that? Because the one poster showed quite well, I think, that Tom has seen a revolving door of personnel, and he has managed to succeed wildly and consistently regardless of the other names on the lockers.

Objectively wrong. The "achievement" metric isn't just rings. Apparently this is confusing more than one of you (which is bizarre given how many of you are aware of my extreme distaste for this ESPN-driven talking heads logic with regard to basketball).

I most certainly did not point out Super Bowl wins as the "only" measuring stick. It's about regular season wins, longevity, and production, too. Aaron's shelf is light.

I find the level of irrational naysaying that Brady & the Patriots provoke to be one of the more curious phenomenons in American sport.
Wrote a novel and literally said nothing.

Well you’ll have to provide a link because I can’t find jack shit about it unless it’s this one which looks like a complete troll job - Brady is 11th and Rodgers is 18th, both behind juggernauts such as Trubisky and Fitzmagic on the season:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Not surprised you think the best metric would be a rating system that accounted for wins, convenient since the Pats are 13-6 without Brady since he took over compared to 7-14-1 for the Rodger-less Pack. That 68.4% win rate for the Patriots is better than any other team in the league since 2001 if I’m not mistaken

Anyway, I’m out - no one’s changing their mind over anything posted here. I jumped in when you said we couldn’t measure talent (true) but we can certainly see and appreciate it. I’ve never seen Brady do anything that I didn’t think Rodgers (or others) could do better given the same circumstances, meanwhile I see Rodgers do things every week that Brady could never dream of - just look at the 55 yarder from last night

The GOAT said it himself when talking about how Rodgers would fare on the Pats: “He’d throw for 7,000 yards every year. He’s so much more talented than me.”
Your reading comprehension is failing again. I didn't assert (nor did I imply) that Tom has the higher QBPR. I just dismissed the QBR as a weaker advanced metric between the two (because it is). Unlike Win Shares or VORP formulas in basketball, and unlike OPS+ or WAR in baseball, it's an advanced stat that ESPN is hoisting on the fan base which I think weights performance too heavily based on team results. Who needs it? That's why we have win percentages and rings. I'm actually letting you off the hook by dismissing it. Why are you pursuing this?
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/qbr_single_season.htm

Top 50 best single-season QBR finishes all-time?
Brady: #1, #14, #17 (tie), #24, #26, #32, #41 (2x), #46
Rodgers: #5, #17 (tie), #38

Wrote a novel and literally said nothing.
Cliffs: Tom Brady is the more "talented" QB by any argument but the one holding a crystal ball of emotional speculation.

To your own point coaches must’ve thought Brady wasn’t as good as Bledsoe considering Brady began on the bench and only started when he did because Bledsoe almost had a career ending injury. That’s not really a fair argument since the coaches hand was forced in the case of the patriots.
No, it's fair. You are again speculating that the coaches wouldn't have put Brady ahead of Bledsoe later rather than sooner.

Every pro-Rodgers argument in this thread is STEEPED in speculation or stats. Every pro-Brady argument is entrenched in performance and results.

I like how you say Rodgers is “stats” but Brady is “performance”. How exactly does Rodgers get those stats if not by performance?

Your attempt to sound smarter than everyone is failing miserably.

Your reading comprehension is failing again. I didn't assert (nor did I imply) that Tom has the higher QBPR. I just dismissed the QBR as a weaker advanced metric between the two (because it is). Unlike Win Shares or VORP formulas in basketball, and unlike OPS+ or WAR in baseball, it's an advanced stat that ESPN is hoisting on the fan base which I think weights performance too heavily based on team results. Who needs it? That's why we have win percentages and rings. I'm actually letting you off the hook by dismissing it. Why are you pursuing this?
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/qbr_single_season.htm

Top 50 best single-season QBR finishes all-time?
Brady: #1, #14, #17 (tie), #24, #26, #32, #41 (2x), #46
Rodgers: #5, #17 (tie), #38

Cliffs: Tom Brady is the more "talented" QB by any argument but the one holding a crystal ball of emotional speculation.

Wow, you actually are pointing to the stat which has Trubisky and Fitz above Brady and Rodgers this year. I think it’s safe to say that a statistic which has someone with a 19-1 TD to INT ratio ranked 18th in the league is slightly flawed

No wonder I had trouble finding it - it’s shit tier

No, it's fair. You are again speculating that the coaches wouldn't have put Brady ahead of Bledsoe later rather than sooner.

Every pro-Rodgers argument in this thread is STEEPED in speculation or stats. Every pro-Brady argument is entrenched in performance and results.

It goes both ways, I’m “speculating” that a 6th round pick wouldn’t have took over for pro bowl qb right away if it weren’t for injury and you’re “speculating” that he would’ve took over quickly regardless.

It goes both ways, I’m “speculating” that a 6th round pick wouldn’t have took over for pro bowl qb right away if it weren’t for injury and you’re “speculating” that he would’ve took over quickly regardless.
No, I'm not speculating. I'm observing what happened. You alone are speculating by attempting to hypothetically impose that reality onto Aaron's divergent reality.

The moment you introduce speculation in this fashion I can counter with more. I speculate Aaron would have suffered a career-ending injury in those early years due to his inexperience resulting in a crippling leg injury because he didn't exercise the discipline to slide. See? Fruitless avenue.

There is what has been, and there is what could have been. The two never meet.

I like how you say Rodgers is “stats” but Brady is “performance”. How exactly does Rodgers get those stats if not by performance?

Your attempt to sound smarter than everyone is failing miserably.
Because he doesn't own all the best stats, and in fact not that many, almost all related to per-game or efficiency metrics, and the key "stats" he lacks by his lack of "performance" are a fistful of light fingers, a smaller trophy shelf, and a sparse ceiling of banners.

Your effort to dismiss arguments as sophistry with a rebuttal of semantics is the true failure.

No, I'm not speculating. I'm observing what happened. You alone are speculating by attempting to hypothetically impose that reality onto Aaron's divergent reality.

The moment you introduce speculation in this fashion I can counter with more. I speculate Aaron would have suffered a career-ending injury in those early years due to his inexperience resulting in a crippling leg injury because he didn't exercise the discipline to slide. See? Fruitless avenue.

There is what has been, and there is what could have been. The two never meet.

All I said was the coaches/front office clearly didn’t see Brady as ready to take over just like you said about Rodgers/Favre. Here’s why I think that.

- Brady was drafted in the 6th round in April 2000
- Bledsoe was the starter going into the 2001 season
- in March 2001 the patriots gave Bledsoe a TEN YEAR 100 MILLION dollar contract(a year after drafting Brady).

I think it’s safe to “speculate” that barring a catastrophic injury(which actually happened) a 3 time pro bowler in his prime who just inked a record breaking contract wasn’t about to lose his job to a 6th round draft pick the year before.

All I said was the coaches/front office clearly didn’t see Brady as ready to take over just like you said about Rodgers/Favre. Here’s why I think that.

- in March 2001 the patriots gave Bledsoe a TEN YEAR 100 MILLION dollar contract(a year after drafting Brady).

I think it’s safe to “speculate” that barring a catastrophic injury(which actually happened) a 3 time pro bowler in his prime who just inked a record breaking contract wasn’t about to lose his job to a 6th round draft pick the year before.
I've never seen a major sports franchise hesitate to ditch a huge contract if they thought they had a rising superstar; especially if things aren't going well.

Fortunately, we'll get to see how Aaron holds up in his later years. We'll see if his late 30's looks anything like Brady's. No more speculation will be needed for that.

It wasnt catastrophic. Bledsoe was cleared later that season and even started over brady, but in the end brady won over the job.

Rodgers doesn't know how to make the crucial short throws, he can't play within a system. He just holds the ball for 7 seconds waiting for a big play to happen all the time. You could also blame his coaches for this.

Brady is the GOAT, SB titles > stats. Titles are more important than stats. Brady is more clutch.

Back