I just can't imagine Sterling vs Yan being competitive.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by TFK20, Nov 11, 2020.

1. TFK20 Orange Belt

I respect Sterling's skills a lot but I just don't see a repeatable path to victory in this fight.

I know people will say "oh, Aljo can take Yan's back and choke him" but I'm not even sure Aljo is the better grappler.

I've watched a lot of Yan's ACA fights and he is absolutely brutal in the clinch and a slick technician on the ground, especially from bottom.

Yan will stuff every Aljo takedown with ease and brutalize him standing. 3rd rd finish after a prolonged beatdown.

2. jojoRed Aint no stress on me, Lord.

I actually agree. Sterling's standup is basically kicks. His boxing isnt there and his defence is basically keeping the fight long range or grapple when close, Yan is gonna bully him, and finish him.

Chok Sok Te, BjPenn2017, dmig and 8 others like this.
  3. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

Odds are almost even. So that makes you an outlier.

I'm not saying it makes you wrong. I'm just saying, if you "just don't see a ... path to victory", then maybe you're missing something.

Or, bet the house.

Joinho10, jjresq, Ingjr and 7 others like this.
  4. TFK20 Orange Belt

I will post my betslip on fight week, you can hold me to that.

It won't be a small amount either.

HorntFuccMan, Stoic and 13Seconds like this.
  5. TheOneAboveAll3 Silver Belt

I just think Yan is just too good for anyone besides Aldo and Cejudo at that weight class. He would likely still beat Aldo but would love to see Cejudo vs Yan, would pick Yan in that fight, thats how good i think he is.

6. TFK20 Orange Belt

Yan would beat Cejudo handily

The only fighter I'd give upwards of a 40% chance to beat Yan is a prime Dillashaw

7. TheOneAboveAll3 Silver Belt

Likely why Cejudo "retired" and would stay "retired" lol.

TFK20 likes this.
  8. DS66 Brown Belt

Sterling is certainly the more credentialed MMA grappler. I think if he gets it to the ground he certainly has a chance to finish it, or maybe grind out a wrestling decision. But Yan is obviously the far superior striker and I'll put my money on him to win this one.

9. TFK20 Orange Belt

I actually think Sterling has a better chance of picking at Yan on the feet to a decision win than submitting him

Sterling handily outstruck Munhoz and Rivera from the outside

10. Substance Abuse Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

Sterling can win this on points by dominating the pace of the fight and positioning of it. Petr has a much greater chance of getting a finish, and his method will more than likely be devastating or be evident early, but to stay Aljo has no shot is pretty short sighted.

A Yan win will probably be emphatic. An Aljo win will probably be a grind.

BFoe, jjresq and BraNerd like this.
  11. Odoylerules4lyf The Salacious One

It'll be a good test for Yan, that's for sure. Sterling is in his prime and is one of the most effective grapplers in the ufc, he doesn't just shoot point scoring takedowns at the end of the round, he drags guys to the mat and makes them grapple.

Yan has looked phenomenal but I'm interested in seeing how he deals with a legit grappling threat like Aljo. Can't wait for this fight.

12. IswearIkeepmyhandsup Boxer

I agree, Yan is miles ahead of everyone in the division, and thats saying a lot. Sterling is a stud though but I think Yan finishes him in 3.

13. Arkham's Notorious Geyser Sherdog's Shane Walsh. Not E for Everyone.

Even that's a Gamble, I like Sterling, but his Skills are limited as @jojoRed put it. Maybe with the threat of the Takedown on his side, he could, but that's also a big Maybe as I'm sure Yan will be working extensively to keep it on the Feet and has the skills to do so.

I don't think Sterling can afford to go with a traditional wrestling approach, like the one he did against Moraes or Sandhagen where he's shooting, it might work, but I think in order to not get intercepted by say a Knee and pose more problems, he's likely going to step outside of his comfort zone to get Yan down and impose his Submission threat. If he can't threaten Yan and give him something to think about other than Striking, he's going to lose.

Yan knows where Sterling's strengths are, I don't think he's underestimating his stand up either, but if Sterling doesn't mix up his Striking and Wrestling well he's not gonna do much.

BFoe, dmig, jojoRed and 1 other person like this.
  14. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

The one thing about Sterling is that he seems to look better every fight.
    OK so you can imagine it :) and that's good!

All I'm suggesting is, there is a vast chasm between "I think Yan is a great bet" and "I cannot imagine Yan losing". ...

Colemanstove likes this.
  15. HaulParris Gold Belt

I think Aljo has to make it chaotic / funky if he wants to win. Yan is strong and well-rounded in all the fundamentals; trying to overpower him or compete with him will not work. I’m pumped for this fight - new champion, new challenger, both in their athletic prime.

dmig likes this.
  16. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

Me too. And as far as intangibles go, Sterling seems to get better every fight.

But ya, Yan's fundamentals are impressive as hell.

Substance Abuse and HaulParris like this.
  17. Kono dio da! Giorno's Father

Damn, playa. No love for sterling. Sterling by sub or decision.

18. G10 Orange Belt

I just checked both of their records. Aljo has definitely taken a tougher path to the title than Yan did. Prior to fighting Aldo, Yan's best win was Jimmie Rivera, who has been going downhill since getting nuked by Moraes. Sterling has beaten Rivera, Sandhagen, Munhoz, and Stamann. I'm not saying that Aljo should be favored against Yan, but he is definitely more proven in the division than Yan is atm.

glass shatters likes this.
  19. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

I'd expect Yan to win too, but that last Aljo fight was fucking insane, dude was ridiculously dominating.

Aljo having cheeky underdog Matt Serra in his corner too.
    [​IMG]

20. Huligani Number One Bullshit

Sterling is trouble for any BW if he can grab a hold of them. But if he can't then it'll end quickly like his fight with Moraes.