I intentionally cut weight for fights just for the psychological effects

It depends entirely on the promoter, and whether your opponent agrees.

Oh okay.

Another question (cos I've been curious about muay thai for a while now), is there any leniancy in the amateurs when it comes to weight-cutting? E.g. in Australia for amateur boxing, we can (unofficially) go up to 0.5kg overboard if it isn't state/nationals.

Oh okay.

Another question (cos I've been curious about muay thai for a while now), is there any leniancy in the amateurs when it comes to weight-cutting? E.g. in Australia for amateur boxing, we can (unofficially) go up to 0.5kg overboard if it isn't state/nationals.

From my experience, they usually give you a 1 pound. If you're fighting at 165lbs, you can weight in at 166lbs.

This thread is already giving me nightmares. I have a fight in 4 weeks. I'm already down from 155 to 149lbs and I'm fighting at 132lbs. Not looking forward to the cutiing weight at all! It sucks hahaha

The flip side of this is killing yourself to make an extreme cut because you've psyched yourself out about your opponents potential (see: imagined) walk around weight.

I've seen fighters get so worked up about making 145 instead of 155 that they have a terrible cut and this a terrible fight.

From my experience, they usually give you a 1 pound. If you're fighting at 165lbs, you can weight in at 166lbs.

Once again, it probably depends on who you're fighting.

When I was supposed to go for my first amateur, 3 days before the show my opponent's coach told the promoter that they wanted to change the time of the weigh-ins and would only do a same-day weigh-in at 5pm on the night of the fight. Promoter and my coach both agreed that it was balls, and they found me a new opponent for a novice match at the last minute. I know for sure if I had been overweight going to fight my original opponent, that his coach would not have agreed to the fight.

If you do a hard cut its actually better to do gatorade before pedialyte because you may put your body in shock if you just pound down something as concentrated as pedialyte after dehydrating yourself. My post weigh in routine is to first drink 32oz of just water, after that a protein shake, then a 32oz bottle of gatorade or power-aide, then a pedialyte. You also want to drink slowly but consistently, do not chug and I also don't eat anything till after I've had the protein shake.

That kind of makes sense.
I generally dilute the pedialyte with 50-50 with water and try to say away from the sugary drinks till later as it gives me the shakes. I find you piss the first ltr out with in half an hr anyway. Have you ever found any books on the subject, you can find hundreds on cutting, but nothing on recovery.

Oh okay.

Problem with amateur is what are you gonna do if the guy misses weight, you cant dock his purse. If he weighs in heavy you ether agree to fight a heaver guy or don't fight.

Calorie restriction literature I've read suggested that ones cognitive functions were increased as a result, also repair mechanisms were boosted. It was suggested that the body ups its game when food is scarce. Seems op is backed by 'science'. The dehydration tho is probably not beneficial.

Really? Wow. Honestly, after a weight cut I'll drink a whole load of fluids and not pee until the next afternoon.

I wish!! It usually takes 45mins to an hr then I'm dying to go every 15mins for a mini piss.

Problem with amateur is what are you gonna do if the guy misses weight, you cant dock his purse. If he weighs in heavy you ether agree to fight a heaver guy or don't fight.

I've seen fights being turned into exhibition bouts when one guy is significantly heavier than the other.

You are right though- there really isn't real penalty that cna be imposed. I mean, you get meanmugged by the other team but that is about all.

After dehydration, the body is able to reabsorb fluid at a rate of 1 liter per hour. Further to this, it's important to include simple sugars, not only because you are in all likelihood carbohydrate-depleted, but also because sugar aids with the rate of fluid absorption in the GI tract. However, it's also recommended that carbohydrates are in a solution of less than 8g/100mL, in order to optimise absorption rates- excess carbohydrates will not be absorbed as quickly.

Any particular reason you have the protein shake at that point?

Interesting info, I do eat a lot a fruit post weigh in. Like a banana, an apple, or a pear every hour once I start eating. I was told by the guy who gave me the routine that I do to drink a protein shake around that time. Something about muscle recovery but I cant quite remember how he explained it to me and I'm not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to this. Just gave the TS what I do and what works for me.

Cool fact, lots of religious and shamanic practices advocate getting high by not eating and sleeping for extended periods of time. Changes brain chemistry. Can't be good to do it often though.

If a guy doesn't make it, refuse the fight. It's a slap in the face of your gym and your fighter when the opponents camp doesn't bother to make weight.

If a guy doesn't make it, refuse the fight. It's a slap in the face of your gym and your fighter when the opponents camp doesn't bother to make weight.

Depends where you live man. If you dont live in a big city Muay Thai events dont come by often, and if you've driven 6 or 7 hrs to get there, booked hotels, time off work, etc. Chances are your gonna accept it unless it's a crazy difference.

All this looks like cheating to me (but then, I am not a competitor).
A fair system would be, IMHO, weighing in a day before the fight and then again right before the fight starts. Miss either, get disqualified.

A fair system would be, IMHO, weighing in a day before the fight and then again right before the fight starts. Miss either, get disqualified.

Not really cheating if both guys are allowed to do it....

To weight an exact weight at an exact time, is very very difficult, drink a ltr of water and that could put you over. You'd just have guys fighting dehydrated, which is even more dangerous.

If you do a hard cut its actually better to do gatorade before pedialyte because you may put your body in shock if you just pound down something as concentrated as pedialyte after dehydrating yourself. My post weigh in routine is to first drink 32oz of just water, after that a protein shake, then a 32oz bottle of gatorade or power-aide, then a pedialyte. You also want to drink slowly but consistently, do not chug and I also don't eat anything till after I've had the protein shake.

Good advice. Don''t chug and keep the water room temp (cold water can make your stomach cramp).

We'd go from clearer fluids to more opaque-

1000ml of water
500ml of apple juice (protassium/sugar)
500ml of OJ
500 ml of milk

This was over the course of 90 minutes or so. I usually opted to start eating a banana and Gatorade (powder for the dextrose, fuck the liquid and HFCS) instead of the apple juice though.

Back