I intentionally cut weight for fights just for the psychological effects

BornAmidstIron

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm usually only just 3 or 4 lbs over my weight class. However, the day before a fight (weigh-ins are in morning) I purposely don't drink any water/eat any food all while having a good, sweaty workout in the evening. Usually drop 7-8 lbs.

Goddamn does it boost me psychologically. I feel much more aggressive and much more focused on the match. It makes me hungrier (lololol) for victory. Got a match tomorrow and a Grape-flavored bottle of gatorade sitting in my fridge right now for after weigh-ins... Fuck it's killing me.

You like Sailor Moon a lot, don't you Nuke?

She is my waifu.

On topic though, I fucking hate the day of weigh-ins. I sit in a sauna, don't eat, don't drink, and usually have a fair way to travel to step on the scales. What helps me psychologically, is knowing how much bigger and stronger I always feel after rehydrating and feeding on anything that comes within arm's reach. If I didn't have to cut weight, I can't imagine putting myself through such abject misery on purpose.

dude, are you serious?

I only do a light cut (no dinner the day prior, only a sip of water the next day between waking up and weighing in) and that already leaves me irritated and tired. I mean, how could you be pumped when your tummys rumbling?

that being said, gl for the fight and try to post it on here afterwards :icon_chee

Don't get it, why not sit 7-8lbs over your weight class cut that and walk in bigger? I'm not sure what your trying to say.

And Pedialyte > Gatorade every time

Chocolate milk, son.

A whole pizza, and a bottle of coke. My traditional post-weigh-in meal. On the way home from weighing in, I'll usually also stop off at a burger place or something too. Go from weighing around 67kg to being back up to 73kg by the time of my fight the next day, no sweat (that's about 13lbs).

Chocolate milk, son.

Choco Milk, post training yes, but after dehydrating you need salts and electrolytes and all that other shit I dont understand. Plus milk tastes like shit when your dehydrated, ask Ron Burgundy.

Im no where close to an expert on this shit, but Im pretty sure the pizza and burgers should be post fight not post weigh in. Soups are quickly digested, sushi gets those carbs you've been missing, and I drink a pint of OJ just because it sounds healthy.

Anybody got any genuine scientific info

Don't get it, why not sit 7-8lbs over your weight class cut that and walk in bigger? I'm not sure what your trying to say.

And Pedialyte > Gatorade every time

If you do a hard cut its actually better to do gatorade before pedialyte because you may put your body in shock if you just pound down something as concentrated as pedialyte after dehydrating yourself. My post weigh in routine is to first drink 32oz of just water, after that a protein shake, then a 32oz bottle of gatorade or power-aide, then a pedialyte. You also want to drink slowly but consistently, do not chug and I also don't eat anything till after I've had the protein shake.

If you do a hard cut its actually better to do gatorade before pedialyte because you may put your body in shock if you just pound down something as concentrated as pedialyte after dehydrating yourself. My post weigh in routine is to first drink 32oz of just water, after that a protein shake, then a 32oz bottle of gatorade or power-aide, then a pedialyte. You also want to drink slowly but consistently, do not chug and I also don't eat anything till after I've had the protein shake.

After dehydration, the body is able to reabsorb fluid at a rate of 1 liter per hour. Further to this, it's important to include simple sugars, not only because you are in all likelihood carbohydrate-depleted, but also because sugar aids with the rate of fluid absorption in the GI tract. However, it's also recommended that carbohydrates are in a solution of less than 8g/100mL, in order to optimise absorption rates- excess carbohydrates will not be absorbed as quickly.

Any particular reason you have the protein shake at that point?

A whole pizza, and a bottle of coke. My traditional post-weigh-in meal. On the way home from weighing in, I'll usually also stop off at a burger place or something too. Go from weighing around 67kg to being back up to 73kg by the time of my fight the next day, no sweat (that's about 13lbs).

Hey KiwiTricker,
Just out of curiosity (I only box), do muay thai fighters weigh in a whole day before their fight?

To OP: My post weigh-in meal is only a sammmich with water lol. Can't really stomach more or anything too oily.

When your hungry you are also in a state of high arousal. If you perform best at a high arousal level then you will likely benefit from this. In that case the benefits (e.g. react faster, act more aggressive) outweigh the costs (e.g. feeling drained, using more oxygen, looser muscles, becoming too responsive to oppenent fighting cues).

However, if you need to calm down and relax before a fight to perform well then hunger fuelled arousal is probably a bad influence. In that case the costs outweigh the benefits.

Hey KiwiTricker,
Just out of curiosity (I only box), do muay thai fighters weigh in a whole day before their fight?

To OP: My post weigh-in meal is only a sammmich with water lol. Can't really stomach more or anything too oily.

It depends entirely on the promoter, and whether your opponent agrees.

I'm usually only just 3 or 4 lbs over my weight class. However, the day before a fight (weigh-ins are in morning) I purposely don't drink any water/eat any food all while having a good, sweaty workout in the evening. Usually drop 7-8 lbs.

Goddamn does it boost me psychologically. I feel much more aggressive and much more focused on the match. It makes me hungrier (lololol) for victory. Got a match tomorrow and a Grape-flavored bottle of gatorade sitting in my fridge right now for after weigh-ins... Fuck it's killing me.

Weight-cutting is dangerous and you shouldn't do it unless you have to. That being said, your a fucking crazy... who likes to cut weight!? No one...

Are you gaining that 7-8 lbs back the day of? Because that is the whole point of the cut.

You should gain about 5 lbs to your walking weight and keep doing your cut the same way, but make sure you drink PLENTY of water and pedialyte and eat what you can (after you've rehydrated) before your matches so you gain it back or it was all for naught...

Last edited:
Pfft.

If you're gonna cheat after weigh-in, get a large domino's pizza with philly steak and feta cheese.

/thread

Back