I hope they start deducting points for all this hugging

Once is OK depending on the circumstances but I wonder what Yair was thinking with 15 seconds left of the round. I think it is disrespectful not only towards his opponent but primarily the audience in the arena - they did not pay for their tickets to see an exciting fight with a lot of action stop 15 seconds before the round ends.

Or. Instead of charging in the last few seconds, maybe he should have attempted to smile and hug Yair. Can't get knocked out if you're hugging your opponent.

As someone who has competed, I've always hated this practice along with touching gloves during the fight because it breaks a fighter's focus and rhythm but is considered "classless" if you don't go along with it.

I like Yair and I've been trying to tell people since the fight was announced that he's underrated and is dangerous for KZ but this is what distresses me about the fight and how it unfolded.

It was the THIRD time in the 5th round alone that this happened. All initiated by Yair.

The person who initiates it always has the advantage in this situation. It's like saying "Time out. Don't hit me right now or that's bad sportsmanship. Now that you've let up for me to mentally catch up while I take a moment away from YOUR focus, Time in." THREE TIMES in the 5th round alone.

Right before the stalling, KZ's approach was completely different than after. He had just thrown a punch and was carefully pressing Yair (not chasing) and was measured and focused. Then Yair initiates the stalling and KZ is too classy to hit him in that moment. It's no surprised that after the "RESET" Yair threw an aggressive combo.

I've been saying the whole time that Yair is way better than most people give him credit for but how that went down, still has me in "WTF" mode. Maybe I have OCD but I would have preferred Yair to win without all the shenanigans. I really feel for KZ. Can't think of a worse way to lose and that KO is the type that fighters are never the same after but I hope I'm wrong about this. Unfortunately that means KZ is going to have to take ANOTHER long layoff to recover.

I hope next time someone tries to initiate one of these the other fighter pops them with a jab. Hopefully this stupid "gesture" ends. They'll probably get grief from the dummies that call it "classless" though. Even worse is that touching gloves and other such gestures are "customs and unwritten rules" in martial arts and amongst fighters. You may not understand if you've not trained but "respect" is big in martial arts gyms because it's what keeps fighters egos in check and draws a line between training and trying to kill each other. Respect in the gym is needed but I digress.

Anyway, that's my rant. Go ahead and flame me but I'd love to hear a discussion. What do you guys think about all this?
That's what we love, bro. That show of class and sportsmanship in an organized brawl.

I'm with Diaz who slapped Scott Smith's hand away. "We're not fuckin friends. This is a fight and you might seriously hurt me. I don't need to have PDAs with you in here" (not that Nick said that).

A part of me maybe doesn't even wanna see them fight once they start that shit. Hug and then fight? I don't get it.
It's not classless to not touch gloves. The only thing that is is to fake a glove touch to then hit. But if a fighter's mindset is "fuck this guy until the fight is over" that makes as much or more sense than "hug this guy until the fight is over"

<Fedor23>

watch again KZ happily took a break put his hands down looked up at the clock he was all for the hugs and high 5s both guys are at fault

i think it was when Yair threw his hands up in trhe air, KZ had a super awkward look on his face like "this again.. okay.."

like it's kind of lose lose of he hits him when Yair is going in for a hug. seen as a dirty move, he probably does respect Yair but doing that would be disrespectful, etcetc.

Is this more acceptable?

Fuck yeah it is.

Max had no obligation to stand and bang but he did. He wouldn't have any social pressure consequences had he hadn't.

KZ though, would have looked like a monumental asshole on TV if he woulda just cracked Yair in the face when he had his hands up "pumping up the crowd."

If KZ blasts him on a hug attempt so be it. Hug, shake hands, do whatever before and after the fight. When the bell sounds, it is on.

i think it was when Yair threw his hands up in trhe air, KZ had a super awkward look on his face like "this again.. okay.."

like it's kind of lose lose of he hits him when Yair is going in for a hug. seen as a dirty move, he probably does respect Yair but doing that would be disrespectful, etcetc.
Maybe I’ll have to watch again but I remember KZ was smiling like he was having fun so I figured Yair was just reciprocating that with respect but either way I think both guys just used it as a break I don’t think it really effected them both guys were willing to throw down in the end it’s just thier style

I agree completely.I'm not a fan of it at all and the ref should of been more involved.He should of told Yair to stop doing it and fight at least after the first time doing it.

If it was me

First time touch up and hug

Second time a nod and hand raise with a wave in saying let's go

Third time head kick to the face for the tko/ko finish

My post fight interview
We are here to fight not hug..he wanted to hug I wanted to fight..it's protect yourself at all times

KZ allowed it no fault on Yair

I really liked yair, but this fight really rubbed me the wrong way and those stalls put a big question mark on a top tier fight, it sucks

i think those were yair trying to take a breather
unfortunately kz let him

KZ looked a little like he was getting confused by it and made me think like he thought he didn't hear the bell. and it was over.

I have no problem with two guys showing respect but he could have done it once and let it be. It's still a fight.

If zombie hadn’t stopped to hug and high five with 10 seconds left, there’s a good chance the fight ending sequence goes down differently.

I get digging and repeating your foe, but be buddies after the fight is over.
I cringe when fighters do the whole lovey-dovey hug high-five thing before the fight is over!

Just wait until the final bell, guyz!

If it was me

First time touch up and hug

Second time a nod and hand raise with a wave in saying let's go

Third time head kick to the face for the tko/ko finish

My post fight interview
We are here to fight not hug..he wanted to hug I wanted to fight..it's protect yourself at all times

KZ allowed it no fault on Yair

How about a hard slap right on the face during the second hug attempt, I think that would be ok too and completely hilarious, KZ didn't grow up where I did though lol.

I HATE that shit. Be buddies after the fight. It's ass kicking time for the 15/25 minutes in the cage. Show respect by respecting your opponent can kill you at any moment during the fight & show the audience some respect that paid to see two combatants ffs. I hope someone takes advantage of this shit at some point and lays out the guy making friends. Maybe that will put an end to it.

That's what we love, bro. That show of class and sportsmanship in an organized brawl.

I'm with Diaz who slapped Scott Smith's hand away. "We're not fuckin friends. This is a fight and you might seriously hurt me. I don't need to have PDAs with you in here" (not that Nick said that).

A part of me maybe doesn't even wanna see them fight once they start that shit. Hug and then fight? I don't get it.
It's not classless to not touch gloves. The only thing that is is to fake a glove touch to then hit. But if a fighter's mindset is "fuck this guy until the fight is over" that makes as much or more sense than "hug this guy until the fight is over"

<Fedor23>
Found it.
Sa6xVnR.gif

I think Nick did say something similar in an interview.

It was all apart of his plan. Do it enough to where kz gets annoyed and rushes in on him, Counter and ko. It worked.

Back