I hope they start deducting points for all this hugging

As someone who has competed, I've always hated this practice along with touching gloves during the fight because it breaks a fighter's focus and rhythm but is considered "classless" if you don't go along with it.

I like Yair and I've been trying to tell people since the fight was announced that he's underrated and is dangerous for KZ but this is what distresses me about the fight and how it unfolded.

It was the THIRD time in the 5th round alone that this happened. All initiated by Yair.

The person who initiates it always has the advantage in this situation. It's like saying "Time out. Don't hit me right now or that's bad sportsmanship. Now that you've let up for me to mentally catch up while I take a moment away from YOUR focus, Time in." THREE TIMES in the 5th round alone.

Right before the stalling, KZ's approach was completely different than after. He had just thrown a punch and was carefully pressing Yair (not chasing) and was measured and focused. Then Yair initiates the stalling and KZ is too classy to hit him in that moment. It's no surprised that after the "RESET" Yair threw an aggressive combo.

I've been saying the whole time that Yair is way better than most people give him credit for but how that went down, still has me in "WTF" mode. Maybe I have OCD but I would have preferred Yair to win without all the shenanigans. I really feel for KZ. Can't think of a worse way to lose and that KO is the type that fighters are never the same after but I hope I'm wrong about this. Unfortunately that means KZ is going to have to take ANOTHER long layoff to recover.

I hope next time someone tries to initiate one of these the other fighter pops them with a jab. Hopefully this stupid "gesture" ends. They'll probably get grief from the dummies that call it "classless" though. Even worse is that touching gloves and other such gestures are "customs and unwritten rules" in martial arts and amongst fighters. You may not understand if you've not trained but "respect" is big in martial arts gyms because it's what keeps fighters egos in check and draws a line between training and trying to kill each other. Respect in the gym is needed but I digress.

Anyway, that's my rant. Go ahead and flame me but I'd love to hear a discussion. What do you guys think about all this?

I disagree.
I think ti happened in the moment, and it was not something Yair was doing just to take The Korean Zombie's focus away.

I rather have some respectful fights like that than the disrespect that we are unfortunately seeing more and more in this sport just because "it sells".

9/10 times it doesn't bother me, but in cases where it goes as far as Barry vs CroCop and last night's fight I find it fucking annoying

At least it was an excellent fight

Drama queens again pretending that the KO happened during a hug and not during one of many of KZ blitz.

I’m all for respect during, before and after fights.

But hell respect during a fight means giving 100% and trying to finish the other man. Not hugging.

Was a bit too much for me.

I couldn’t imagine all the training a work it takes to prepare for the fight and then wanting to play friends down the stretch.

especially in KZ'z case where he's winning because he's staying in his face and throwing punches, pressuring, etc.

It's obvious to me that fighters who initiate these hugfests are looking for a breather. Yair obviously was and it worked out for him. KZ was stupid for falling in to it and not keeping his focus.

Agree 100%. You either play along or look like an asshole on national TV. Yair’s output was fading big time and he must have wasted over a minute of fight time with this bull. KZ easily wins without the constant stop starting.

You can see when Yair initiates the last stalling session KZ puts his hands up and looks a little annoyed/uncomfortable. It's like he's thinking "Seriously, again? I can't hit you right now but I'd like to. This shit is awkward."

KZ then puts out his hand to touch gloves and restart the fight. I wonder how long Yair would have stood there posing if KZ didn't do that. That shit was definitely fucking with KZ. No one expects someone to do that with 10 seconds left in the fight let alone for the third time in that same round.

Mexicans definitely don't have any classiness, that's for sure.
11caUX0P0nYZ32.gif

As someone who has competed, I've always hated this practice along with touching gloves during the fight because it breaks a fighter's focus and rhythm but is considered "classless" if you don't go along with it.

I like Yair and I've been trying to tell people since the fight was announced that he's underrated and is dangerous for KZ but this is what distresses me about the fight and how it unfolded.

It was the THIRD time in the 5th round alone that this happened. All initiated by Yair.

The person who initiates it always has the advantage in this situation. It's like saying "Time out. Don't hit me right now or that's bad sportsmanship. Now that you've let up for me to mentally catch up while I take a moment away from YOUR focus, Time in." THREE TIMES in the 5th round alone.

Right before the stalling, KZ's approach was completely different than after. He had just thrown a punch and was carefully pressing Yair (not chasing) and was measured and focused. Then Yair initiates the stalling and KZ is too classy to hit him in that moment. It's no surprised that after the "RESET" Yair threw an aggressive combo.

I've been saying the whole time that Yair is way better than most people give him credit for but how that went down, still has me in "WTF" mode. Maybe I have OCD but I would have preferred Yair to win without all the shenanigans. I really feel for KZ. Can't think of a worse way to lose and that KO is the type that fighters are never the same after but I hope I'm wrong about this. Unfortunately that means KZ is going to have to take ANOTHER long layoff to recover.

I hope next time someone tries to initiate one of these the other fighter pops them with a jab. Hopefully this stupid "gesture" ends. They'll probably get grief from the dummies that call it "classless" though. Even worse is that touching gloves and other such gestures are "customs and unwritten rules" in martial arts and amongst fighters. You may not understand if you've not trained but "respect" is big in martial arts gyms because it's what keeps fighters egos in check and draws a line between training and trying to kill each other. Respect in the gym is needed but I digress.

Anyway, that's my rant. Go ahead and flame me but I'd love to hear a discussion. What do you guys think about all this?
I don’t think either of them thought they’d finish each other at that point. Yair was not only trying to pump up the crowd (which gave him a huge ovation during his walk in), but he was just relieved that the war was finally coming to a close.

It may have thrown KZ off his game, but that’s ultimately KZ’s fault for not being better versed in that particular aspect of the game.

Not sure how anyone would moan and groan about a FOTY / KOTY.

You're exactly right. Yair took advantage of KZ's super respectful Asian temperament. Whereas, some Jersey boy like Edgar would have, rightfully, brushed it off with a disgusted wave and tried to punch a hole through Yair's face.

Everything in my gut tells me that fight would not have ended that way had it not been for that bullshit stall tactic in the last 15 seconds.

But now Yair is in the UFC record books. So props to him I guess.

Don't hate the player, hate the game...

Yair took advantage of a fault Zombie has. His classiness...

I guess I'm hating both? Because I address "the game". But I don't really hate Yair. I would have just like to seen him win without the shenanigans.

I didn't mind most of the stops because both fighters seemed okay with it and they were going to war otherwise.

However when yair stopped and threw his hands up at 10 seconds left it was bad. KZ looked at him like whats the issue? His arms were raised too but in a confused gesture and he looked up at the clock like what's going on. However, I don't think that is the reason he was knocked out. He didn't have to stop unless the ref stopped him. Perhaps you have a point about the appearance of sportsmanship especially when it comes to KZ and the very polite/respectful nature of korean culture.

IDK.

It was what it was. A hell of a fight with a bunch of weird moments and arguably the craziest finish in MMA history. Yair was down on the cards and put him out cold in the final second. That alone has never happened before. Add on top of that the crazy angle he threw that elbow counter after ducking KZ's attack and it was just like wtf am I watching/did that really just happen.

The only reason I didn't die on the spot is I was waiting for something like that because of recency bias to BB volkov.

no flame from me, youre totally right

Do that shit before or after the fight, not during the fight.

We need yellow cards for that kinda bullshit. If you're not fighting in a fight you'll get carded. Same as with running away.

i'm normally ok with it. barry / crocop is cool, the guy is his hero and they do it only once in the last round, no problem.
i havent seen that fight since it happened, but i could swear there was way more lovemaking than just once in the last round

I'm ok with it once per fight, and only if it's been a really great fight.

Like if two guys are laying it all on the line and having an epic war, then at the start of the 5th round they can do it too kind of say, "you're doing great bro, now let's finish this thing strong and give the crowd a show"

But yeah if anyone does it more than once in the whole fight then it gets annoying.

I am forgiving yair because I love the way he fights but I hope he doesn't continue to be that excessive in the future.

Not the biggest fan of that stuff. It was annoying last night but at the same time it shouldn't take away from the fight or the finish.

I agree if a fighter doesn't want to participate in that shit they should keep fighting. It's already a difficult sport with a ton of pressure and there's no reason to make it more complicated by trying to decide whether you should stop to hug someone. Knock them the fuck out for trying that shit, take your money, and leave.

You can see when Yair initiates the last stalling session KZ puts his hands up and looks a little annoyed/uncomfortable. It's like he's thinking "Seriously, again? I can't hit you right now but I'd like to. This shit is awkward."

KZ then puts out his hand to touch gloves and restart the fight. I wonder how long Yair would have stood there posing if KZ didn't do that. That shit was definitely fucking with KZ. No one expects someone to do that with 10 seconds left in the fight let alone for the third time in that same round.

I wish KZ fucking headkicked him like Floyd when he KO’d Ortiz that time. Would have been too sweet. This Yair kid is a snake. His antics ducking Zabit and now this “tactic” used to stall and recover against a surging Zombie. Will look to see him get badly ko’d in his next few fights.

Back