I hope Palhares gets KO'd in his next fight

During the fight. Would you feel the same if a fighter blindsided the other fighter during his post-fight interview?

Yeah because holding a sub on a fighter who knows you are going to attack him with it is the same as blind siding someone. :rolleyes:

That has to be the dumbest argument ive read on this forum and thats saying alot.

Did you feel Wand was blindsided when Page hit him twice after the ref jumped on him too?

Yeah because holding a sub on a fighter who knows you are going to do it is the same as blind siding someone. :rolleyes:

That has to be the dumbest arguemnt ive read on this forum and thats saying alot.

Did you feel Wand was blindsided when Page hit him twice after the ref jumped on him too?

Listen, you obviously think Palhares didn't do anything wrong, even though his boss, the athletic commission and countless media outlets think otherwise.

Keep on chasing that rainbow, bro. You're doing a helluva job.

Listen, you obviously think Palhares didn't do anything wrong, even though his boss, the athletic commission and countless media outlets think otherwise.

Keep on chasing that rainbow, bro. You're doing a helluva job.

Yeah those guys are complete authorities they're not biased at all with all the money they make off the sport.

:rolleyes:

Keep chasing that witch hunt bro, omg, someone got hurt in an MMA match!!!!11 Think of the childrenz!!!

God you guys are soft tampons... He held it for a little.. He didnt let go till the ref told him it was over.. its a fight !!

I am guessing that you don't fight, train, and have probably never rolled. That is the only way I can get my head around your comment.

The UFC refused to give him a bonus even though he was the only sub of the night... that basically sums up how the people in the business view his actions.

I'm guessing you'd like to allow groin shots, eye poking, and fish hooking, as well. Wow... you are super tough.

Listen... it was a brilliant submission and the guys is talented... but, let go when someone taps. The fact that it was the only sub of the night and the UFC refused to give him any bonus for it definitely speaks volumes about how the insiders feel about this.

It is nasty, disrespectful, and unsportsmanlike. The guy is blatantly disregarding his opponents well being by holding on to a leg lock like that and continuing to crank it LONG after the tap.

This isn't a choke... where the worst case scenario is that the guys goes out. This is a heel hook where you can, literally, rip someones knee apart. It's not like he felt the tap and looked at the ref... he continued to crank it with all his might, even after the ref jumped on him.

This guy is scary... and not because of that fact that he is the nastiest leg lock guy in the game... but, because of his reluctance to let go when his opponent taps. He is a repeat offender and I think this is a much more suspension worthy offense than smoking pot is... but, the loss of his bonus money is probably the only punishment he'll receive. At least it wasn't totally ignored.

What's most infuriating is how nonchalant posters are around these forums. A bunch of cold-blooded jerks, it seems like.

Imagine NFL fans encouraging and accepting late hits. It's bull shit, and shameful to be 'ok' with that kind of behavior.

I agree... I can't tell if they are trolls or just people that have never actually trained/fought. But this type of attitude has never been accepted at any gym I've ever been to.

My jitz instructor wouldn't even let you attempt leg locks until you were at least a blue belt because of how quickly you can hurt someone... and that isn't even in a situation where people are going 100%.

rac2, its not a race issue.
Do the people saying it was cool train? I train as timidly as possible with ankles and knees cause its very easy to do damage and and i think everyone should - there's a reason they aren't taught until higher belts.

this!

If you watch, he only gives it one good crank. Then the ref is in there and he lets go. Yes, it was slow, but not as bad as people say.

The fact that leg locks are sooo dangerous makes this a little touchier subject... and the fact that Phalhares is a repeat offender. If this was the first time he had done it, it may be easier to overlook.

We know Pierce tapped pretty quick... and Phalhares didn't even look for the ref. We've seen it countless times where the ref is out of position or the tap comes quick and the one holding the sub immediately looks for the ref and even tells the ref that his opponent is tapping. Rousimar kept his head down and continued to crank... unacceptable.

I agree... I can't tell if they are trolls or just people that have never actually trained/fought..

I have trained plenty and just because YOU have trained doesnt make you a UFC fighter bro.

ALot of difference between you taking a few jujitsu classes for fun than FIGHTING PROFESSIONALLY IN THE UFC.

Im willing to bet youre like 13 and think because youre a blue belt in BJJ that youre a 'UFC FIGHTER GRRRRRR!!!!!'

:):):)

Look at the replay.. Now imagine youre in phalafurus's place.. you're in a fight, you attempted a heel-hook a couple of seconds ago and your opponent escaped out of it.. your adrenaline is rushing, you attempt the heel-hook again and with full adrenaline rushing, the crowd screaming, and you're holding on to that heel with all your strength knowing that if he escapes again or you release it and the ref misses the tap and says to continue fighting you know you'd be in a situation where you're gassed out and could cost you the fight.. Are you going to release that submission once you feel a tap or until the ref says its over and you're sure??? Personally, I don't believe he held it for too long.. Now if the ref would have signaled its over and he holds it for another 5-10 secs and snaps his leg off, then yes that would warrant harsh consequences and a ban from MMA

Again... if this was the first time he had done this, it would be easier to dismiss. This guys is a REPEAT OFFENDER! Otherwise, I can definitely see the point you are making... that is just such a hard argument to make for this guy because of his history.

You don't let go until the ref intervenes and he was a second late in doing that. He was focusing on the submission at the time, and with the adrenaline pumping I could understand his late reaction.

I'll ask you all the same question that many of us level headed fans are wondering? Why do people feel it is okay and in fact encourage fighters to continue pounding a guys face in when he is already unconscious but it's not okay to hold on to a submission. Both are fully within the rules and it is very risky to walk away from a KO or sub before the fight has been stopped.

Palhares has had personal experience where he thought he KO'd a guy hopped on top of the fence celebrating and then the ref told him the fight was still on. This is the equivalent of him letting go of the sub before the ref steps in. If the ref had missed the tap the fight would have continued. Luckily the ref didn't but was only out of position.

So seriously, why is it okay for your favourite fighters to beat the fuck out of someone while they are already unconscious but a far less potentially devastating thing like a submission hold is unsportsmanlike. So far the best guess I can tell is that some people have a personal bias against Palhares and/or are hypocrites.

Listen... I don't like to see people continue to punch an unconscious opponent either. But if you think that a heel hook is "far less potentially devastating"... you are just plain wrong. I agree with you point... and don't think it is respectful or sportsmanlike to keep punching when the fight is clearly over... but leg locks are the most dangerous submissions to your longevity and career... PERIOD!

Yawwwwwnnn.. I really don't think it was that bad. He let go within 1 second when the ref fell on him.

Heel hooks arent like chokes or even arm bars. You can't be slow on releasing those and there isn't an excuse for him taking that long, especially with his past of doing it.

I have trained plenty and just because YOU have trained doesnt make you a UFC fighter bro.

ALot of difference between you taking a few jujitsu classes for fun than FIGHTING PROFESSIONALLY IN THE UFC.

Im willing to bet youre like 13 and think because youre a blue belt in BJJ that youre a 'UFC FIGHTER GRRRRRR!!!!!'

Never claimed to be a ufc fighter... and thank you for clearing up one of my questions... you are a troll... and I don't believe you've trained. The respect you learn in "a few jujutsu classes" is the same respect that most fighters carry into the cage. And from the looks of your comments, you are probably the 13yr old.

No level of the sport should condone holding a heel hook after the ref calls it.

I don't feel the same way.

Back