I hope Palhares gets KO'd in his next fight

bunch of racist babies in here.

if an american had done such a thing and/or did it again last night, it would hardly get nearly the same amount of protests and anger we're seeing in here.

lol at palhares is a bad person. sherdog, the good morale centre of the web.

you guys are despicable.

rac2, its not a race issue.
Do the people saying it was cool train? I train as timidly as possible with ankles and knees cause its very easy to do damage and and I think everyone should - there's a reason they aren't taught until higher belts.

Let me get this straight...

me wanting fighters to not hold subs too long, thus preventing avoidable injuries, make me a WWE fan-wannabe?

Wow. Very compelling argument you have there. Your logic is inspiring.

Look at the replay.. Now imagine youre in phalafurus's place.. you're in a fight, you attempted a heel-hook a couple of seconds ago and your opponent escaped out of it.. your adrenaline is rushing, you attempt the heel-hook again and with full adrenaline rushing, the crowd screaming, and you're holding on to that heel with all your strength knowing that if he escapes again or you release it and the ref misses the tap and says to continue fighting you know you'd be in a situation where you're gassed out and could cost you the fight.. Are you going to release that submission once you feel a tap or until the ref says its over and you're sure??? Personally, I don't believe he held it for too long.. Now if the ref would have signaled its over and he holds it for another 5-10 secs and snaps his leg off, then yes that would warrant harsh consequences and a ban from MMA

if an american had done such a thing and/or did it again last night, it would hardly get nearly the same amount of protests and anger we're seeing in here.

you guys are despicable.

Haha, racist babies?

Could it just be that some posters don't like him because he is a dirty fighter?

It's a psychological tactic on Palhares' part I think. Fighters will tap as soon as he grabs a leg now. I don't think he held it for long either to be perfectly honest.

If you watch, he only gives it one good crank. Then the ref is in there and he lets go. Yes, it was slow, but not as bad as people say.

It was cool when Burkman let loose of Fitch before the ref knew Fitch was out. On the other hand, I don't think the fighter is supposed to stop until the ref says so, NOT just because he feels a tap. You have to give him a second to react, he is in a FIGHT.

Is he adding a little crank at the end, after the fight is called, to put a little fear into his next opponent? I don't know. You'd think if he's trying to coax a sub he'd already be cranking about as hard as he could... no?

Could it just be that some posters don't like him because he is a dirty fighter?

I dont think you know what 'dirty fighter' means.

Cheick Kongo is a dirty fighter. Hes had a few notable fights where hes reamed fighters with a knee to the nuts. Yet, when he does it, its a joke here on Sherdog. People post stuff like 'Kongo via dick kick roflolcopter!!!1111" and stuff like that.

Paul Harris has won 5 fights with a completely legal move, and 80% of Sherdog thinks he should be banned form the sport. LOL.

I'll ask you all the same question that many of us level headed fans are wondering? Why do people feel it is okay and in fact encourage fighters to continue pounding a guys face in when he is already unconscious but it's not okay to hold on to a submission. Both are fully within the rules and it is very risky to walk away from a KO or sub before the fight has been stopped.

Palhares has had personal experience where he thought he KO'd a guy hopped on top of the fence celebrating and then the ref told him the fight was still on. This is the equivalent of him letting go of the sub before the ref steps in. If the ref had missed the tap the fight would have continued. Luckily the ref didn't but was only out of position.

So seriously, why is it okay for your favourite fighters to beat the fuck out of someone while they are already unconscious but a far less potentially devastating thing like a submission hold is unsportsmanlike. So far the best guess I can tell is that some people have a personal bias against Palhares and/or are hypocrites.

You're ok with fighters holding subs too long? Or wanting to put unnecessary injury even after a fighter taps?

You're a real tough guy, real "cool".

1. one second after the ref touches you is not too long.

2. How do you know he wanted to 'put unnecessary injury' on Pierce?

3. Youre a big baby who should stick to watching tennis and stuff more your speed. This is Mixed Martial Arts where fighters attempt to hurt each other for money.

As someone who has had his knee torn apart by heel hook - that was some disgraceful behavior. The fight is over, you won, now you are just hurting the guy with a possibly career ending submission for NO reason.

Seriously this guy is ruining the careers of other athletes which is a shitty enough tactic inside the rules, but once the fight is over it's a f'ing crime.

And stop that silly "it's the same as pounding a guy who is unconcious" shit - Knockouts rarely lead to career ending injury, a fucked up knee is a potential career ender. Look at Cruz for example - I'm sure he'd trade a late KO stoppage for his knee injury any day, his knee injury is ruining his career and legacy, costing him and his family alot of money...

Last edited:
I'll ask you all the same question that many of us level headed fans are wondering? Why do people feel it is okay and in fact encourage fighters to continue pounding a guys face in when he is already unconscious but it's not okay to hold on to a submission. Both are fully within the rules and it is very risky to walk away from a KO or sub before the fight has been stopped.

Yup. Any worse than Hendo/Bisping? But Hendo is loved around here, so...

1. one second after the ref touches you is not too long.

2. How do you know he wanted to 'put unnecessary injury' on Pierce?

3. Youre a big baby who should stick to watching tennis and stuff more your speed. This is Mixed Martial Arts where fighters attempt to hurt each other for money.

I guess I am a "big baby" to you then. We will not agree on this.

Dana agrees with me though. Guess he is a big baby too.

At least we both appreciate old-school video games.

Palhares is a great grappler, but the holding submissions long past the tap has happened way too many times. Give the man his walking papers.

I dont think you know what 'dirty fighter' means.

Cheick Kongo is a dirty fighter. Hes had a few notable fights where hes reamed fighters with a knee to the nuts. Yet, when he does it, its a joke here on Sherdog. People post stuff like 'Kongo via dick kick roflolcopter!!!1111" and stuff like that.

Paul Harris has won 5 fights with a completely legal move, and 80% of Sherdog thinks he should be banned form the sport. LOL.

I am pretty sure I do, and Paul is definitely dirty. This isn't the first time he has cranked or held a sub too long, not forgetting he pissed hot recently.

you guys are despicable.

Where in the FUCK did this come from?

Race has absolutely nothing to do with this.

If you watch, he only gives it one good crank. Then the ref is in there and he lets go. Yes, it was slow, but not as bad as people say.

If this were the first time he'd done this, and not the 4th time, then I'd agree with you.

Everybody is saying that he is destroying other fighters careers, but as anyone ever been injured for life in a Palhares fight?

Back