I hope BJ Penn starts training again with Marv Marinovich

Guys i'm so confused. I love BJ Penn. I started watching UFC because of BJ. He's a fuckin legend.
I hope BJ comes back with a performance like his against Sherk or Sanchez and destroys Lamas. But that won't happen.
As long as BJ isn't trained by Marinovich again, or someone like Nick Curson, he'll get worked. Would be insane to think otherwise.

Man, people be giving Marv and his acolytes too much credit. He's just a trainer. Remember, he came from the NFL world. The NFL is the pinnacle in terms of sports performance and money. If he was that good, some NFL team would've snatched him up a long time ago. He had one big-name client, Troy Polamalu (for you MMA fans, Troy Polamalu was a big-time football player), and Troy wasn't any better than without Marinovich (he still got hurt a lot, etc.)

he will NEVER go anywhere near Marv again. Marv held him accountable and made him work hard which is something baby BJ isnt capable of, he cant handle actually training. He has 0 effort or work ethic, which is shitty.
This is the answer you guy looking for..BJ has no effort because of superstar status he got..

Yeah. BJ turned into a bro scientist after the Marinovich split and decided to, in his own BJ Penn way, incorporate Marv's ideas into his MMA workout. He was like "there is no ball in MMA so what's the point of playing around with it, Marvs great but imma put his ideas into practice the way it suits me and incorporate that shit on the punching bag".

They were pretty expensive too and they wanted full control of BJ's training schedule, supposedly that clashed with JD, his older brother who manages him.

If he come train like he is nobody and people treat him like he nobody i think he can win..

he will NEVER go anywhere near Marv again. Marv held him accountable and made him work hard which is something baby BJ isnt capable of, he cant handle actually training. He has 0 effort or work ethic, which is shitty.

Idiotic post. You don't get as far as he did in mma or BJJ without work ethic.

I want Penn to get his shit together but he's done. It's almost like the UFC actually wants him gone giving him Lamas. RIP, Penn.

I really dont get that whole BJ Penn worshipping. He has like 15-20 record and looked absolutely horrible and anywhere in fight shape in last like 6 years.

Because records tell the full story, casual.

They were pretty expensive too and they wanted full control of BJ's training schedule, supposedly that clashed with JD, his older brother who manages him.

I had no issue with the split, shit happens. He could've afforded another strength and conditioning coach and kept doing what he did, albeit a bit differently. However, he tried to rationalise it all in a very negative way. He said that he felt that it took too much of his time and that he could incorporate Marv's principles into his striking and grappling training instead of dedicating few hours to S&C training exclusively. imo it was a huge step backwards for him.

Idiotic post. You don't get as far as he did in mma or BJJ without work ethic.

you obviously dont know shit about BJ little boychild. As far as he did in mma/bjj? he has a .500 record in mma and BJJ he only trained for a couple years before being as good as he was. He learned very fast, and has a ton of natural abilities.

Unfortunately it is common knowledge & not debatable that he had absolute shit work ethic and was a lazy whiner that couldnt handle anybody telling him what to do. AKA a rich spoiled brat.

Hell yeah! I like how GSP made Hughes and Penn eat their words.

"Hey Georges, want me to teach you armbar defense?" then GSP proceeds to armbar Hughes in the trilogy. Fucking love it!

If Jack/wink can't help him, nobody can....

Marv Marinovich or his disciple Nick Curson are more about Strength & Conditioning. They are S&C guys. Of course BJ will do his training & game planning under Greg. But a good S&C method is essential & an absolute necessity.

I just want Penn to fight and not gas within the first round. As a Penn fan this is a very hard fight for him. Not sure if he has the speed and reflexes to be able to stand with Lamas. Not sure if his wrestling is good enough to take Lamas down. He has to hurt Lamas early, get top control and choke his ass out.

War BJ!!!!

So Bader/Ortiz 2 would be a fine main event in your opinion?
I said they could do much worse, not, "It's a great template for every Main Event".

Bader deserved a Main Event slot, and Ortiz can still draw, I think. It would have to headline in Bellator, though. Relationships being what they are.

you obviously dont know shit about BJ little boychild. As far as he did in mma/bjj? he has a .500 record in mma and BJJ he only trained for a couple years before being as good as he was. He learned very fast, and has a ton of natural abilities.

Unfortunately it is common knowledge & not debatable that he had absolute shit work ethic and was a lazy whiner that couldnt handle anybody telling him what to do. AKA a rich spoiled brat.

You need to stop posting

I had no issue with the split, shit happens. He could've afforded another strength and conditioning coach and kept doing what he did, albeit a bit differently. However, he tried to rationalise it all in a very negative way. He said that he felt that it took too much of his time and that he could incorporate Marv's principles into his striking and grappling training instead of dedicating few hours to S&C training exclusively. imo it was a huge step backwards for him.

I think it was a mistake, I'm just throwing out what were the supposed reasons why he split with the Marinoviches

keep hoping man, im happy hes at jacksons - thats a good place to be surrounded by other fightres who show him the right way to be disciplined - thats what he needs, in my opinion

You need to stop posting

you need to shut the fuck up if youre going to be an ignorant child. BJ is, and has always been lazy as hell. Stop being a fanboy and admit it. Its a fact.

you need to shut the fuck up if youre going to be an ignorant child. BJ is, and has always been lazy as hell. Stop being a fanboy and admit it. Its a fact.
Lazy but talented as fuck

Back