I honestly think HW will be so much easier for Jones

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Older, slower opponents that are generally less technical than smaller guys. Jones is slowing down and now would be the perfect time to move on to HW.

people generally make a bigger deal on the differences between HWs and LHW. They are all big dudes, the latter just choses to cut down. Most LHWs like Jones walk around at 240 most likely.

Jones would clean the division. Actually he would beat the chubbier Cormier even worse

:)

He'll, for sure, KO fools left and right.

Let's see how he is moving with the extra muscle, how is his gas tank, how much power he has (not his best asset at LHW), and, most importantly, how his chin holds up first.

You could be right, and I see your point about speed; but you could be very very wrong, which I'd say is more likely.

Last edited:
He also has a crazy underated chin.

Bones wins that HW strap easy.

Jones is not beating Stipe or Ngannou and I also questiom whether he would beat DC at HW who is not draining himself 30 lbs.

After watching Reyes and Santos, what makes you think Jones beats Stipe? He is stronger than both and has more refined boxing. Not to mention, Stipe has spent his career getting hit by 230+ lb. men.

Jones is still elite but its clear he is declining. Whether its because he is off roids or simply due to mileage is up for debate.

Jones isn't 240. He's probably low-mid 230s with some fat on him between camps. In shape he's probably 225ish, so I'm sure he'd bulk up a little and probably would fight at around 240 if he moved up, which he won't.

His problem would be how many HWs are his height or taller. Jon isn't particularly fast or technical himself, and not having a height or strength advantage would be a foolish move. He's good at keeping guys on the outside and he's good in the clinch if they do close the distance. Giving away those advantages at HW would not be a smart move.

Nah. If Jones looked fast and dynamic he could win fights on skill alone. Now he looks slower and he is weaker. He struggles with taller guys and heavyweights are going to laugh at his punches. Stipe is flawed but would most likely win by knockout. I think Ngannou might kill Jones if he showed up and decided to actually lead, like he did against JDS.

0.gif

The only threats at HW to Jones are Stipe, Ngannou, and DC.

Well, I honestly think top heavyweight beat him, and he knows it. He wouldn’t fight DC at heavyweight, and he’s already beaten the guy. I’m sure if he moved up, it would be for a title fight. But I’d like to see him test the waters, like Anderson did at 205.
Book Jones vs Overeem and let’s see how it goes.

Didn’t Overeem get booted from Greg Jackson’s for breaking Jones leg??

There’s a REASON Jones hasn’t bothered with HW his entire career.

And he NEVER <5>will

Well, I honestly think top heavyweight beat him, and he knows it. He wouldn’t fight DC at heavyweight, and he’s already beaten the guy. I’m sure if he moved up, it would be for a title fight. But I’d like to see him test the waters, like Anderson did at 205.
Book Jones vs Overeem and let’s see how it goes.
I think Reem is a horrific match up for him. Maybe not this incarnation of Reem, but just from a style POV it’s not a good one for Jones at all. I’m not going to mention Ubereem because that’s unfair. The Econoreem who beat Nelson, JDS and Arkovski would be able to whoop him imo.

Jones could learn a thing or too from Conor (the GOAT) about stepping up to new challenges. Conor is fighting guys literally three times the size of him while Jones wont even fight guys his own size, instead happy to fight blown up MWs.

Older, slower opponents that are generally less technical than smaller guys. Jones is slowing down and now would be the perfect time to move on to HW.

people generally make a bigger deal on the differences between HWs and LHW. They are all big dudes, the latter just choses to cut down. Most LHWs like Jones walk around at 240 most likely.

Jones would clean the division. Actually he would beat the chubbier Cormier even worse
Nah. Jones off the roids gets steamrolled. Hes struggling.

I think Reem is a horrific match up for him. Maybe not this incarnation of Reem, but just from a style POV it’s not a good one for Jones at all. I’m not going to mention Ubereem because that’s unfair. The Econoreem who beat Nelson, JDS and Arkovski would be able to whoop him imo.
That’s why I think it’s interesting. I actually don’t know who would win that fight right now, Reem’s chin isn’t the best, but Jones isn’t exactly a KO artist (although he could have some extra power at HW). I think Reem could stuff Jones’ takedowns, and it’d be a really interesting striking battle. I’d really like to see it.

Nah. If Jones looked fast and dynamic he could win fights on skill alone. Now he looks slower and he is weaker. He struggles with taller guys and heavyweights are going to laugh at his punches. Stipe is flawed but would most likely win by knockout. I think Ngannou might kill Jones if he showed up and decided to actually lead, like he did against JDS.

I think this is a big thing to note. If Jones can't keep them away with kicks to the kneecaps the HW are going to walk right through his punches IMO, unless the added weight give him more power. Stipe, Francis, Lewis, etc. wouldn't respect his power at all.

I honestly want to see it. I wish he’d quit talking about it and do it. I’m sure the UFC and Stipe would agree to an instant TS.

I’d like to see it.

Are taking drugs? If not then you should consider taking them. Man Jones had his arse handed to him by Reyes, had it not been for a bent ref, he would no longer be champion, and in the eyes of the majority he is no longer champ.
Can you imagine JJ vs Stipe, Curtis Blades, BB? Don't even mention Ngannou, Ngannou would absolutely murder him.

That’s why I think it’s interesting. I actually don’t know who would win that fight right now, Reem’s chin isn’t the best, but Jones isn’t exactly a KO artist (although he could have some extra power at HW). I think Reem could stuff Jones’ takedowns, and it’d be a really interesting striking battle. I’d really like to see it.
Yeah I’d still give Reem a solid shot at winning. I think he’d still have a big clinch advantage, especially early. Jones likes to use the clinch for his takedowns. Reem is also tall (Jones doesn’t like this) and is a better technical kickboxer.

Back