I haven't had a day off in a month (advice thread)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by AgonyandIrony, Feb 8, 2016.

1. AgonyandIrony

AgonyandIrony Gold Belt

So I share my personal life on here a lot. If you don't know I'm the head chef of a noodle bar in a swank part of town. My boss is clueless, underpays me, and I work my ass off every day to send out the best food I can , as head chef the success of this restaurant means just as much to me as the owner.

But it's been over a month since I've had a day off. Three times a week my right hand basically quits working now, and my body is in so much pain I can't train BJJ. I've not done stand up in a month, just too exhausted.

I moved back to Tulsa for " a month" to help my mother with bills. She lost her business, her car and she was going through a divorce so I moved in (my sister got rid of her beautiful apartment and moved in to the same house with her son to help as well) my mother says is I move out she loses the house, my sister says if I do I'm ruining my nephews life, my boss says if I quit he loses the restaurant and I cost everyone their jobs .

What would my Sherbros do in this situation?

2. Slobodan

Slobodan Вело ;) Staff Member Senior Moderator

Fake your own death

Nameless Ghoul, philth, Mike and 5 others like this.
  3. LaYLa & SaDiE

LaYLa & SaDiE P ☆ I ☆ T ☆ B ☆ U ☆ L ☆ L ☆ S

Lay down the law IMO be straight up with your boss and demand some time off. He needs you more than you need him if you're really that good. Maybe try looking for another job if he doesn't meet your demands. Then you can give him an ultimatum.

Edit: didn't read the last part in the op. You might be stuck in between a rock and a hard place because your family is depending on you. I still think you should demand more money from your boss or threaten to walk. Sometimes in life you gotta make a move and bluff someone, I don't think he will call you out on it because he made it clear he needs you.

4. mushishi

mushishi A is a, a is a, should I save her?

Ask him for a day or two off a week. Train a sou chef to cover for you on your day(s) off. Your life and health are worth more than any job.

Dogstarman and LaYLa & SaDiE like this.
  5. Zer

Zer Gold Belt

Bro, tell me you can spank it with the left

7437, irish_thug, frenz and 5 others like this.
  6. RedRocket44

RedRocket44 Brown Belt

Uhh I have 4 weeks off a year and I'm pretty happy, so going without more than a weekend off for a few months at a time isn't out of the ordinary. Basically a week off every 3 months if I want to plan it like that.

Are you saying you haven't had even a single weekend off in a month, or just a personal holiday / vacation day? Are you getting stat holiday's off?

7. M3t4tr0n

M3t4tr0n Sheriff of Sherfront

Take some time off

8. RetiredSlave

RetiredSlave Brown Belt

Family first always. Jobs, like money, come and go.

frenz likes this.
  9. shockaholic12

shockaholic12 Brown Belt

Tell the boss you made a doctors appointment because your hand is having nerve issues related to being over worked. The dude is running your health into the ground because it's cheaper than hiring another good guy to back you up. Fuck him.

Then take the day off and go apply at other restaurants where the owners know what they are doing.

10. spin_

spin_ Gold Belt

Be content and proud in the knowledge that you're helping your family.

I'm sure you're just tired but a little grind won't kill you. A day off will come soon, and then a vacation.

Try not to focus on deep life things when you're tired. Just find some ways for stress relief and be patient. You'll get this all sorted out soon

11. JudoThrowFiasco

JudoThrowFiasco Charming Quark Platinum Member

find a better job?

12. Merlotte's

Merlotte's Silver Belt

I was going to suggest something more along the lines of being incredibly selfish but I guess this would fall under that category as well.

13. ithinktheymad

ithinktheymad Red Belt

You can't help everyone if you're bedridden/dead.

Dogstarman, Slobodan and Merlotte's like this.
  14. TronSpecial

TronSpecial Orange Belt

You sure have a handful of people riding on the decisions you make, but ultimately do what's best for you and your family. Help out your mom then take care of yourself. Talk to your boss and try to work something out and if he doesn't understand, well then probably look for a different job. Not a single day off in over a month and an inept boss? Doesn't sound like an ideal work place.

Dogstarman likes this.
  15. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

I go through the same thing every spring and fall when farming. Make sure you're still getting some exercise in and eat very healthy, cut out all the junk food and eat a lot of fiber.

16. muaythaibeast

muaythaibeast Brown Belt

If your boss has told you he can't run the place without you, and you're being underpaid, well I'd be telling him I've been offered x amount to leave and unless he matches it, you're gone. Also, tell him you want days off.
    Your sister sounds selfish as fuck too, its not your responsibility to sort her kids out.

7437 and Dogstarman like this.
  17. AgonyandIrony

AgonyandIrony Gold Belt

I told him I'm making less as a head chef than I did traveling opening pizza departments across the country for whole foods. But I'm head chef now..
    David Chang had an interview with GQ where he said as a chef 27 is the age to be selfish.. But I don't know how I guess.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  18. irish_thug

irish_thug Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Fill the restaurant with uppercuts.

NoGoodNamesLeft and Loiosh like this.
  19. phipps66

phipps66 Purple Belt

Take care of your family bro. Don't worry about your boss, if you were really what the business was riding on, he should have compensated you in such a fashion.

20. SuperiorHands

SuperiorHands Purple Belt

Your sister is more of a cunt than your boss is a dick, sorry to tell you.