I have watched UFC for a few years now and just went to my first BJJ class... :)

Congrats on starting. Hope you keep it up.

To those of you that say you need to get in better shape before you start, nonsense. I was about 30lbs over weight, heavy drinker (who am i kidding, I'm still a heavy drinker), and 2-3 pack a day smoker who hadn't done anything really physical in 7 or 8 years when I started. Just go.

Edit - That was 5 years ago. I'm now a reasonably in shape, non smoking, heavy drinking, 4 stripe blue belt.

Thanks man :) Niicee, 4 stripe blue belt. And yeah.. hard to say no to a good beer :(

Did u never wrestle with friends as a kid? Little tusslin

I wrestled of course, but I was the skinniest guy always wrestling with the biggest guys, which wasn't ending well for me most of the time in the rasslin department ;)

Nice!
I can tell you that it gets better.

One more thing: WHen being choked, TAP!
I did not, and while it is a gentle way to go to sleep, it is not so gentle to wake up being shaken by your master with everyone looking at you :oops:

Nicely done. Everyone who posts on Sherdog should try BJJ out. Opens your eyes.

Hard to believe all those years of watching UFC from the couch didn't prepare you better.
Funny story, my first class in BJJ, I actually hit a spinning armbar against another whitebelt, I think I had seen Matt Hughes pull it off against GSP and somehow it worked haha. Had a similar eye-opening experience to TS though - one roll I only made it 30 seconds before I had to stop and lean against the wall gasping for breath, and got caught by all manner of submissions

That sounds pretty much like a bjj day one. Well done, TS. You will be amazed at how quickly you progress. And then you reach purple belt and the brown belts and black belts stop holding back...

I'll be starting bjj also. Right now i'm bulking up my legs to have more explosive takedowns. I only have boxing and muay thai experience. You'll get better with time, i'm glad you liked it.

Nice!
I can tell you that it gets better.

One more thing: WHen being choked, TAP!
I did not, and while it is a gentle way to go to sleep, it is not so gentle to wake up being shaken by your master with everyone looking at you :oops:

lol, I hope :p Yeah, I will tap FOR SURE now. With this one I don't want to see how long I last :p With any of them actually, but some of them you can feel when it's still pretty safe. Or at least you think you can ;)

Nicely done. Everyone who posts on Sherdog should try BJJ out. Opens your eyes.

Good luck, I just started to train ufc myslef.

lol! Thx and good luck! :p

That sounds pretty much like a bjj day one. Well done, TS. You will be amazed at how quickly you progress. And then you reach purple belt and the brown belts and black belts stop holding back...

Hahaha, thanks. And yeah.. I think when I hit my first sub ever, I will never want to go back :p

I'll be starting bjj also. Right now i'm bulking up my legs to have more explosive takedowns. I only have boxing and muay thai experience. You'll get better with time, i'm glad you liked it.

Thanks and good luck to you too! I wish I trained my legs and back before joining in the first day because it failed me. Things I wanted to do, I couldn't. So then I was just a ragdoll ;)

I was you something like 7 years ago, 29 big ass mma fan for looong time, so I said, fuck I have to actually try some of the shit I sped hours talking about. Went to the first class, got my ass handled, loved it, never looked back.

Check out the grappling forum, you can leanr some stuff plus lots of people talking about well grappling...

You know what would probably get you into better shape and conditioned faster than what you're doing now...
Yup. Im all out of breath from that long sherdog post so now I'm gonna go fishing. It's almost impossible to fit in workouts with my strenuous 3 posts a day on sherdog.

I dunno how you make the time between posting and working out.

I was you something like 7 years ago, 29 big ass mma fan for looong time, so I said, fuck I have to actually try some of the shit I sped hours talking about. Went to the first class, got my ass handled, loved it, never looked back.

Check out the grappling forum, you can leanr some stuff plus lots of people talking about well grappling...

Hehe, nice :) Thanks, I will check it out for sure.
How is it going for you now in BJJ?

Watch UFC; train UFC. Welcome to the greatest sport on earth. Congrats.

Hehe, nice :) Thanks, I will check it out for sure.
How is it going for you now in BJJ?

awesome, many things changed, im a purple, I dropped the gi all together about 2 years ago, doing no gi full time. I enjoy every single class and every day I train, mostly training 3 to 4 times, I do run the class so that helps me stay in focus all the time.

Best decision I ever made in my life.

The photos changed everything ! Well done

Yup. Im all out of breath from that long sherdog post so now I'm gonna go fishing. It's almost impossible to fit in workouts with my strenuous 3 posts a day on sherdog.

I dunno how you make the time between posting and working out.

Haha. I was talking about choosing bjj rather than your actual exercise routine, not posting on sherdog. The point is you're doing yourself a disservice if you're waiting to start or restart bjj until you're in shape. Just get back on the mat and bjj will get you in shape--your progress can start today rather than at some yet to determined date that might not actually happen.

Haha. I was talking about choosing bjj rather than your actual exercise routine, not posting on sherdog. The point is you're doing yourself a disservice if you're waiting to start or restart bjj until you're in shape. Just get back on the mat and bjj will get you in shape--your progress can start today rather than at some yet to determined date that might not actually happen.
I thought you could've meant that, but I just assume the worst here on sherdog haha. And I know what you mean, I just have really bad joints as I mentioned my knee popping out in the earlier post. I want to get a routine of stretching and cardio in to make sure I'm serious about getting back into it. It's not cheap to join a bjj class. So I wanna make the best of it.

I thought you could've meant that, but I just assume the worst here on sherdog haha. And I know what you mean, I just have really bad joints as I mentioned my knee popping out in the earlier post. I want to get a routine of stretching and cardio in to make sure I'm serious about getting back into it. It's not cheap to join a bjj class. So I wanna make the best of it.

Word. Best of luck. Hope you get back on the mats!

awesome, many things changed, im a purple, I dropped the gi all together about 2 years ago, doing no gi full time. I enjoy every single class and every day I train, mostly training 3 to 4 times, I do run the class so that helps me stay in focus all the time.

Best decision I ever made in my life.

Congrats :)! And running the class too, nice nice.

"Best decision I ever made in my life" - awesome to hear.

Back