I have watched UFC for a few years now and just went to my first BJJ class... :)

You certainly have a great attitude towards it, all the best to you in the future.

haha awesome thread. I went through the same experience, only I really beat myself up "learning how to fall" for the first 20 minutes. Once we hit the mat, I was tapping to everything until it wa time to go vomit. I knew how to defend against some shit too just from watching mma, but the technique (muscle memory) wasn't there. I didn't need to be humbled, but it is a humbling experience.

I wish BJJ was available locally during my youth would of been fun... Good luck with your new journey.

Same, I was surrounded by TKD mc-dojo's. I wanted to do JKD as well but just stuck with boxing and hockey (helmet fights after practice).

Khabib-Nurmagomedov.jpeg

You just gave me memories of wrestling practice. Grueling but so awesome to be a part of, especially when you realize how much you progressed since the first day.

Thanks for sharing and get after it!

Good on you for starting. I wrestled and lifted for years, so my body wasn't sore at all, but my freaking jaw line was tender to the touch for days. Escaping from those guillotines and rear naked chokes was something I had never done. Keep at it. The soreness goes away. You'll be tough as nails before you know it.

Quick summary for lazy ppl:

I got destroyed. lol...

For those who want to know more about:

My friend who is a blue belt toyed with me as he pleased, I tapped like a girl (don't kill me for this phrase) multiple times.
After a warm up and drilling techniques I was dead tired, then rolling killed me for good. And now I also
have sore throat because I was rear naked choked (drills) a few times and I have a big Addam's apple, which is not fun when pushed inside hard. I also tapped from a forearm squeeze while being mounted, like a bitch, lol. I was tapping like a madman. Knee on the belly multiple times also is no fun.All the watching of the UFC didn't make me superhuman, nor did it promote me to a brown belt right away, damnit.

But I loved it and will return to action soon, as soon as my body lets me, lol. To get my revenge ;)
I always appreciated the ground battle in the UFC, but now I will even appreciate passing the guard like never before since I know how hard it is when someone actually knows what they are doing... And it made me want to pay attention to every minute detail so that I can try to remember and implement it into my own piss-poor game for the next time ;) Also I had no idea it can be so exhausting.

Cheers guys. Hope you enjoyed the story and I encourage all of you Sherdoggers who only like to criticize fighters to actually move from the sofa and go to a BJJ class or any other martial art. You will get more out watching the fights and the appreciation for the technique will also be higher.

For those who have no enjoyed or Too long didn't read even the summary, to make up for it:

BP7I0l7.jpg

3o6gaXJ0zJTK2Z5hug.gif

3o6gaUsDteRHRVg3pS.gif

3o6gaVjYZZKfogXe3C.gif

Sorry, I'm not a tiny chicks lover so making up only for guys that have my taste.

3o6gaRwRrw0bCiXHFu.gif

Everything was good except the girl in the green romper.

Cool ts. Always nice to see people enjoying new experiences in martial arts.

My first bjj class years ago was a rough one. We were drilling triangles and my bum knee popped out of place when trying to lock it in. I popped it back in and continued drills.

That same day my friend who has 60 lbs on me and is a bjj blue belt decided to not go so easy on me. He knew I was exhausted and sore and continuously did knee in belly and it was excruciating. He tapped me multiple times by just smothering me from mount with his chest lol.

The highlight of the class for me was hitting a hip toss on a 3 stripe white belt and going straight to full mount. My instructor was proud. I hope to get back into bjj again this year but right now I'm working on getting in better shape again conditioning wise.

Good fucking thread. Hope we'll see you in the grappling forum, bro

Keep tapping. There's no pressure for you to do otherwise, and no shame either. Enjoy being a noobie while it lasts! lol

I hope to get back into bjj again this year but right now I'm working on getting in better shape again conditioning wise.

You know what would probably get you into better shape and conditioned faster than what you're doing now...

Are you CM Punks next opponent or why are you posting this here?

Nah seriously.....if you had balls you would have done kickboxing

Are you a couch potato going right into class or were you somewhat in good physical condition

So you're a Sherdog Brown Belt with over 4,000 posts yet not only did you not make everyone in the class your bitch with that experience + years of watching UFC, you actually got tapped like a bitch??

gtfo here, you're embarrassing us

jk good job
could also try posting in the grappling forum, they actually trane there, here is mostly trolls.
next time, do it for Rin

Only looked at the pics.

The rest...didn't read.

Lol, I noticed, your reply was too quick, I knew there was no way you read all that ;) At least I hope you liked the pics/gifs.

Nice man, I'll be doing the same once I can heal up this broken down body from neglect. :p

Best of luck in your martial arts adventure.

Thanks man :) You too!

And thanks for this!

TS, I know you thought you wrote this in your personal journal with a pen but you've actually typed it on a public UFC forum!

I bet your face is red!

Haha, not really brother. I'm not ashamed to admit I got tooled. It may open some eyes to guys who think everything is so damn easy.

I understand man, I was there 3 years ago when I started BJJ. Just keep doing it and you will submit your friend soon trust me.

Also thanks for the pics.

Thanks man! :) Your welcome.

Hard to believe all those years of watching UFC from the couch didn't prepare you better.

Haha, right?? ;) The thing is, I was dead tired when we started rolling. Not that I wouldn't get tapped, but maybe not that often.. At least I knew sometimes when he was going for things, but .. I still couldn't stop it --'

I wish BJJ was available locally during my youth would of been fun... Good luck with your new journey.

Thanks!

Good on you for starting. I'm saving up to join maybe the local SBG, Gracie Barra, or 10th Planet. Saving, but I'm also nervous about joining (I don't deal with new crowds too well, I'm not afraid of getting rag-dolled one bit. I enjoy it).

Still, I hope to take the step you have taken, and keep at it.

Thanks man and I wish you a good BJJ class :) I had it a bit easier since I went there with my friend who tooled me later.

I think it's awesome that you have not been discouraged by experiencing first hand how brutal being a new white belt can be. Learning new skills is awesome if you can appreciate the process. Good luck to you, and enjoy it. :)

Thanks man! :) First sub and I will feel like a kid again, lol.

You certainly have a great attitude towards it, all the best to you in the future.

Thank you :) I will try my best. I actually liked that I got tapped so often (well.. maybe I could have tapped a bit less..... ;) ), made me want to improve that much more.

Girl in the last picture. Who?

Perfection gif ;) Hehe. Carol Seleme.

haha awesome thread. I went through the same experience, only I really beat myself up "learning how to fall" for the first 20 minutes. Once we hit the mat, I was tapping to everything until it wa time to go vomit. I knew how to defend against some shit too just from watching mma, but the technique (muscle memory) wasn't there. I didn't need to be humbled, but it is a humbling experience.

Hehe :) I knew when he was going for some subs (like a triangle from mount......) but I didn't have A) gas left B) technique. I will be more careful when I watch the fights now.....

I like you.

I like you too for liking me :)

You just gave me memories of wrestling practice. Grueling but so awesome to be a part of, especially when you realize how much you progressed since the first day.

Thanks for sharing and get after it!

Lol, nice. Thanks! I will try :)

Good on you for starting. I wrestled and lifted for years, so my body wasn't sore at all, but my freaking jaw line was tender to the touch for days. Escaping from those guillotines and rear naked chokes was something I had never done. Keep at it. The soreness goes away. You'll be tough as nails before you know it.

Thanks! Good that I returned to lifting a few days before so my body wasnt THAT sore... but it still was, on those bodyparts that I haven't really got to train yet like my back or legs...

Cool ts. Always nice to see people enjoying new experiences in martial arts.

My first bjj class years ago was a rough one. We were drilling triangles and my bum knee popped out of place when trying to lock it in. I popped it back in and continued drills.

That same day my friend who has 60 lbs on me and is a bjj blue belt decided to not go so easy on me. He knew I was exhausted and sore and continuously did knee in belly and it was excruciating. He tapped me multiple times by just smothering me from mount with his chest lol.

The highlight of the class for me was hitting a hip toss on a 3 stripe white belt and going straight to full mount. My instructor was proud. I hope to get back into bjj again this year but right now I'm working on getting in better shape again conditioning wise.

NIce! :) And thanks for sharing too. Good luck getting back there!

Good fucking thread. Hope we'll see you in the grappling forum, bro

Thanks man! I appreciate the invite, I'm sure I will join in once I join the BJJ class for good :)

Keep tapping. There's no pressure for you to do otherwise, and no shame either. Enjoy being a noobie while it lasts! lol

Haha yeah, I for sure learned that if someone gets me in a guillotine or rear naked, I don't want to fight it....! I prefer to be able to swallow water and food next day without trouble ;)

Are you CM Punks next opponent or why are you posting this here?

Nah seriously.....if you had balls you would have done kickboxing

lol, I wish I was, for good money.
I kinda wanted to start something like that but I don't want to get hit too much in the face I guess, I worry my brain can rattle too many times and I may slur or something. I know, stupid. But the balls part was childish ;)

Are you a couch potato going right into class or were you somewhat in good physical condition

Ummm... a bit of both to be honest. I was lifting for some time but then I quit because of shoulder injury and then I wasn't exercising. I only started a few days before I actually went into this BJJ class, this is why I wasn't as sore as I normally would be. But the conditioning wasn't there at all. Well.. even if I was lifting, it's not going to get me conditioned if I was just building mass. So to answer you, I'm not a fat dude who can't move, but I'm not well conditioned either.

keep at it and good luck pussy

Thanks dick :p

So you're a Sherdog Brown Belt with over 4,000 posts yet not only did you not make everyone in the class your bitch with that experience + years of watching UFC, you actually got tapped like a bitch??

gtfo here, you're embarrassing us

jk good job
could also try posting in the grappling forum, they actually trane there, here is mostly trolls.
next time, do it for Rin

lol, I actually read your "jk" after I pasted it into "reply" ;)
Thanks. But yeah, I could have done a bit better :p I wish I studied the ground game more while watching.

I will start posting there soon I hope, thanks :)
Ps. Oh yes, she will be my motivation ;)

Last edited:
Congrats on starting. Hope you keep it up.

To those of you that say you need to get in better shape before you start, nonsense. I was about 30lbs over weight, heavy drinker (who am i kidding, I'm still a heavy drinker), and 2-3 pack a day smoker who hadn't done anything really physical in 7 or 8 years when I started. Just go.

Edit - That was 5 years ago. I'm now a reasonably in shape, non smoking, heavy drinking, 4 stripe blue belt.

Did u never wrestle with friends as a kid? Little tusslin

Back