I have to euthanise my dog on Monday

On Friday my brother dug a grave in the backyard for her. He cried the whole time. He's pretty much my best friend, it was very upsetting to see him so sad. I just had to hug him, it was heartbreaking. My sister is really hurting too, she's learning disabled and she's extra sensitive to stuff like this.

The family is going to do it today, then he's going to bring her home and lay her to rest.

All weekend long, the family came over to say goodbye. I said my tearful goodbyes last night. This morning was hard, leaving for work knowing it was the last time I'd ever see her. She wasn't MY dog, but she was still a family dog. She still greeted me at the door with a wagging tail and a happy face every time I walked in.

When my son was preschool age, he was terrified of her. To him she was this big black scary wolf beast. But in reality, she was a sweet, kind, loving dog, and super protective of all kids and us, her family. He's now almost 18. He was over this weekend and got to spend time with her too, to say goodbye.

Sorry, TS - I certainly did not intend to hijack your thread. My sincere condolences to you, as well.

My dog slept on my bed for the first year of his life. One night, at about the age of four months, he had his front legs and chest on my torso and placed his nose just inches from mine. He was just looking at me and then stopped breathing. Moments later he starts to breath again with his inhales and exhales matching mine perfectly. So he does this for about 30 seconds before licking me all over my face.

And so I realized that night what was so special about dogs; they actually make a conscious effort to bond with you. Then I went on to see that they actually use their will power to communicate that they are for you and not against you.

I'll consider it an honor to be by my dog's side when it's his time to pass. He's the most noble thing I've ever encountered on this earth.

Any coping tips?.

Do it yourself or let the dog pass on it's own. The trauma from taking your family member to a scheduled execution is the thing people tend to cling to the most.

Do it yourself or let the dog pass on it's own. The trauma from taking your family member to a scheduled execution is the thing people tend to cling to the most.
Sometimes letting it pass on its own is not an option. Dogs get sick or their mind breaks before their body does. I wished my old dog would pass away on her own but it wasn't happening. She was losing weight, getting confused, had a hard time making it outside to shit, had a hard time getting up when she squatted to pee but she really didn't seem like she was going to just pass on her own before she suffered and was scared more than she already was.

I don't see how killing the animal yourself is a better situation. Its the same thing, except with more of a chance of you fucking it up and making it horrible.

Hope everything went as well as possible given the circumstances. Stay strong.

Oh man. Sorry to hear, TS. My old girl is getting up there (14-15+) and its been on our minds from time to time.

Godspeed Patch.

My sincere condolences TS.

This thread literally had me in tears. I don't know how I'm gonna handle it when the time comes for mine. He's getting up there in age and I've been trying to mentally prepare myself. I don't think that's really possible though. Dogs are truly amazing and wonderful creatures.

Stay strong, friend.

I don't see how killing the animal yourself is a better situation.
That's fine, seeing as how I never said it was "better" I don't know how this even addresses my post.
Its the same thing, except with more of a chance of you fucking it up and making it horrible.
How does your incompetence factor into what someone else should or shouldn't do?

Had to put mine down a few years ago.

Still hold back tears sometimes when I think about him.

It's a rough thing to deal with, but the initial days are the worst, it will eventually get easier.

poem+g+d.jpg

Man this thread was fucking hard to read. All the best man. Nothing else to say. If I was a millionare Id get the best vets for all your pets and the best drs for your loved ones. Even some of the extreme right wingers in the war room. I wouldn't donate for their operations though! Lol

I'm reading this thread in a kitchen and there's dozens of onions being cut all around me.

Fucking onions, man.

It's a funny thing having a dog. My first dog my parents got because she chose me. She grew up as I did. She died at the age of 13. I was devastated. It was also one of the only times I've seen my dad cry. I remember the good times every time me and my family talk about her. She was the best. We have tried to treat every dog after her with the same affection and loyalty she showed us. We owe her that much.

And it hurts like fuck. She's 12 years old and she has been there through my darkest and happiest days. I didn't think it would hurt this much, But I've been pretty much been uncontrollably crying for the past 2 days. She requires a surgery that we simply can't afford.

Any coping tips? I tried getting high but that just made it worse.

Sorry to hear it; I had to put down my 14 year old dog back in November. Saying goodbye was not an easy thing to do.

Oh man. Sorry to hear, TS. My old girl is getting up there (14-15+) and its been on our minds from time to time.

I'm reading this thread in a kitchen and there's dozens of onions being cut all around me.

Fucking onions, man.

Yeah, massive allergies or something for me whilst reading this thread. Fuckin allergies, man.

Back