I have never heard of this position. Anyone know?

Sean-Roberts

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My friend came up to me today and we were talking about half guard and he said there is a 3 quarter guard. He knows it exists but does not know the position. Ive never heard of this maybe its something i already do but i dont know the name? can someone explain what 3 quarter guard is?

The same as "93 guard". I think some people call it "quarter guard".

Just bisect their thigh with one of your legs then lock up. 3/4 guard!

this may be what I call fetal guard no?

they are close to getting their leg out you basically have their foot and they almost have your back, so you are on your side, crawled up in the fetal position. :p

93?

Knee across the belly.

93+guard.png

Robson Moura calls it 93 guard. It's the first name I heard for the position.

z guard I thought... meh, I dunno.

So many fucking names now a' days I just learn the positions and moves and go with it.

Z guard and 93 are one in the same.

Sean, ive heard of 1/4 guard. Basicially where your ankle is trapped in the half guard, but your knee is past the bottom player's legs.

Was this it? Or was it in fact Z/93 Guard?

Stop trolling the threads Sean!! Haha! I have heard of 1/4 guard because Brad Jackson has taught moves from it. I'm sure 3/4 guard is referring to the, above referenced, 93 guard.

Z guard and 93 are one in the same.

I beg to differ. Robson even teaches them as two distinct guards on that same DVD set. 93 guard is an open half guard with the foot on the hip and the knee pointed towards the sky, pressuring against the shoulder/biceps, whereas Z-guard has you crossing the ankles and keeping your knee against your opponent's hip. Considering how the two are also approached quite differently, both from the top and from the bottom, I'd say it's fair to make a distinction between them.

As for 3/4 guard, I heard Shawn Williams using it all the time in his No Gi Worlds commentary last year, though I'm not quite sure if he uses the name for 93 guard or the same guard with the shin of the bottom leg across the belly (no longer a true half guard). I seem to recall him using the term about both variants.

they are all half guards with minor variations. i agree with Shemhazai. The quarter guard is from Guga Machado. he has a dvd of it

I may be mistaken, but I thought quarter guard was like when you foot drag to escape the mount and you only have control of the shin, rather than a full half guard. Or when someone is in half guard and they push down the knee to mount, but the foot is still trapped.

I may be mistaken, but I thought quarter guard was like when you foot drag to escape the mount and you only have control of the shin, rather than a full half guard. Or when someone is in half guard and they push down the knee to mount, but the foot is still trapped.

Ditto

I beg to differ. Robson even teaches them as two distinct guards on that same DVD set. 93 guard is an open half guard with the foot on the hip and the knee pointed towards the sky, pressuring against the shoulder/biceps, whereas Z-guard has you crossing the ankles and keeping your knee against your opponent's hip. Considering how the two are also approached quite differently, both from the top and from the bottom, I'd say it's fair to make a distinction between them.

correct

Stop trolling the threads Sean!! Haha! I have heard of 1/4 guard because Brad Jackson has taught moves from it. I'm sure 3/4 guard is referring to the, above referenced, 93 guard.

Lol at calling me a troll. Just curious about 3/4 guard i was trying to figure it out by myself but couldnt. Good to see people are slapping names on jiu-jitsu moves/positions now.

Back