I have a very loose exercise routine, am I doing anything dumb here?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by eworden78, Aug 19, 2015.

1. eworden78

eworden78 Silver Belt

So I don't have a specific routine per se, but I've been trying to put together a flexible well rounded routine with the equipment I have available. I tend to lurk on here and jump around Youtube picking up different concept here and there.

My workout seems to be working very well, as I've had pretty good all around improvement, I feel better, I look better, and I've been able to keep my motivation up.

Equipment:
    Pull-up and Dip Tower
    Curl Bar
    Kettle bell set(pairs between 25 and 65lbs)

So what I generally do is follow the 25 Pull-up challenge and the 100 Push up challenge workouts on Mon - Wed- Fri. Which varies as the program progress's. If I'm feeling over fatigued, I'll mix it up a bit.

I do Legs on Tuesday and Thursday, which usually consists of a light jog(20 min or so), Kettle Bell swings(either HIIT or 40 minutes workout), and optional Squats.

I then decided to add some more variety, So I'll add in Bent Rows(ether Kettlebells or curl bar), Dips, and overhead press.

I also mix in some Full body kettlebell workouts, Turkish Get-ups, and Burpees or throw in an Ab/core day.
    I do lots of my workouts in a more Circuit training type method, alternating lifts, and minimizing breaks in between. I'm also doing lots of reps and focusing on form rather than going with big weight.

I try to make sure I never do the same lift two days in a row, so my muscles always have time to recover. I have pretty specific goals on Pull-ups and Push-ups, but everything else is kinda by feel. I try to get all of my lifts in at least once a week, most of them twice.

I know this sounds a bit Crossfitty, but I do try to use my brain a bit and self monitor, I keep mental track of progress, always start new lifts light and then progress. I watch a lots of Youtube videos for advice on bad lifts, form mistakes, etc.

Am I being overly lax in structure? Does it sound like I'm ignoring any important muscle groups? Anything sound "dumb"?

It's been working awesome for me so far, I'm 37 and am the strongest I've been since I wrestled in college. But I know I can always do better.

Thanks ahead, any advice/criticism is appreciated.

2. dipstickjimmy

dipstickjimmy Black Belt

Too long didn't read but to answer your first question:

am I doing anything dumb here?

you are on Sherdog asking for workout advice so that would be the Dumb thing you are doing! LOL

3. pokerandbeer

pokerandbeer Green Belt

sounds to me like you know what you are doing with the limited amount of equipment you have but I would at least do some squats in there somewhere

4. eworden78

eworden78 Silver Belt

Yeah, I've been doing squats on my leg days, with the Swings.
    Some of the full body kettlebell workouts mix squats in too. If I do squats in my mixed workout I'll skip doing them a second time.

Thanks!

5. eworden78

eworden78 Silver Belt

Yeah it is too long, sorry.

Cliffs: Workout is basically 100 Push-up Challenge + 25 Pull-up Challenge + Kettlebells for legs + a bunch of other lifts mixed in. 5 Days a week alternating Arms and legs days. Lifts are mostly K-bells and body weight, high reps low weight, some circuit training.

6. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Do overhead squats with that 65lb kettlebell.

And some sprints.

7. eworden78

eworden78 Silver Belt

Thanks, great suggestions!

I have a mini track near my house, I think 200m or so.

8. NurseKnuckles

NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

Your name... It's correct!

9. Possum Jenkins

Possum Jenkins 3 Piece with a Soda Belt

The only thing I would suggest is to maybe space out your leg day a bit more. One day rest may not be enough.

Also, I'd do the light jogging AFTER the HIIT and squats. You want to have the most energy for when you do your most taxing and explosive exercises.

10. eworden78

eworden78 Silver Belt

Thanks, good input. I actually skipped my leg day yesterday because they felt really sore.

If I start with HIIT and squats, what would you suggest for warm up? Right now I start warm, but fatigued by my jog.

11. eworden78

eworden78 Silver Belt

I'm finding I don't have the mobility to do properly do overhead squats with the kettlebells. I'm doing some reading now, on how to improve that.

What is kind of fun, is that as I'm adding new lifts and movements to my regimen, I'm finding out new weakness's to address. This in turn motivates my next round of exercises.

12. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

Using context clues it seems you are interested in strength endurance. Is that your goal?

13. eworden78

eworden78 Silver Belt

I think so.
    Strength Endurance as a focus, seems to have the most practical applications to the types of activities I would find myself engaged in.

I don't have any rigid goals at the moment. I used to be a wrestler, so I've always had an affinity for Strength Endurance types of training.

14. ngarauru

ngarauru nga ariki o nga kahui maunga

I was just about to ask what your goals were, good shit

How far through the two challenges are you? completion of them would be cool, maybe you want to add weight once you've done them with good form

15. Possum Jenkins

Possum Jenkins 3 Piece with a Soda Belt

When I do HIIT I just do a very short, light jog followed by stretching. Never stretch completely cold.

When I squat I do 3-4 minutes of bike and a couple of sets of very light hamstring curls and leg extensions. Just enough to get muscles warm and blood flowing.

And yeah, you're gonna be fatigued by the time you do your jog but that's ok. Jogging isn't gonna make you stronger so you don't need a whole lot of energy for it and can take it easy. You need your energy for the exercises that'll improve your strength and explosiveness (HIIT, sprints and squats)

16. eworden78

eworden78 Silver Belt

I did the 20 Pull Up Challenge with great success. That's what got me motivated. I made it straight through the program and hit my goal without many hiccups.

I then jumped into the 50pullups.com workout, just because I wanted to see how far I could go. I plateaud/stagnated around the 25 pull up mark.

I've since restarted the 50pullups.com workout, switched my grip to wide, and focused on good form, full dead hang pull-ups(I was kipping and cheating a tiny bit the first time through). I haven't retested for my max, but I would assume I'm around 20.

The Push up challenge is a bit frustrating, as I made it through the program pretty smoothly, but fell well short of 100 on my final test. Not sure if it was just a bad test day, or something else. I'm now redoing the last phase of the workout, and will retest. I completed the 100 push up challenge a few years ago, and I'm in much better shape now, so I know it's doable.