I have a hard time putting Khabib as the GOAT because of weight class.

image.jpeg

Past prime = Irrelevant.

Sorry.

Reactions: Ryo
Lots of good posts here. Khabib has not done enough to be the GOAT but he is in the conversation and when you take out confirmed cheaters such as Silva and Jones then he gets that much closer.

He might not stack up to the others as far as title defenses go but skillwise it's obvious the guy is on another level and in the same stratosphere as the best of the best.

Lol what? Jon Jones is undeniably one of the most skilled fighters in MMA history.

it's quite deniable. obviously a skilled guy but compared to the greats from the good divisons there is a dramatic difference. dude can't box and just retreats with his head back, grappling hasn't looked good in years.

He might not stack up to the others as far as title defenses go but skillwise it's obvious the guy is on another level and in the same stratosphere as the best of the best.

I agree. I'm not against his skill. His grappling is amazing.

It's just the size issue. He weighed in at 155 pounds, and guys in high school weigh that much.

p4p is a stupid concept in general because it assumes that certain skills and athletic ability would carry over no matter how much the weight changes and that's just ridiculous. I mean are you more impressed with a 130 lb man who can do a backflip or a 230lb man who can do a backflip? we all the know the answer

fact is that certain things are easier to pull off at lighter weight classes and HW is the most dangerous class because everyone has dynamite in their hands. The best fighters therefore, are at HW, regardless of what you pinheads think about their skill levels.

You simply can't call yourself the GOAT if you fight below HW but this is also why martial arts competition at anything other than Openweight is a sham

In a true street fight, Khabib might lose to Jon Jones or Fedor.

You can say "pound for pound" greatest but be real. His small size is a limiting factor. To be the GOAT, you have to consider the other weight classes.

Ya. I agree. I love Khabib but the HW champion pretty much reigns supreme.

I wish we could have seen Khabib vs a prime BJ Penn.

p4p is a stupid concept in general because it assumes that certain skills and athletic ability would carry over no matter how much the weight changes and that's just ridiculous. I mean are you more impressed with a 130 lb man who can do a backflip or a 230lb man who can do a backflip? we all the know the answer

fact is that certain things are easier to pull off at lighter weight classes and HW is the most dangerous class because everyone has dynamite in their hands. The best fighters therefore, are at HW, regardless of what you pinheads think about their skill levels.

You simply can't call yourself the GOAT if you fight below HW but this is also why martial arts competition at anything other than Openweight is a sham

Having dynamite in your hands and being a HW does NOT qualify as being the best ever.

Being DOMINANT in your weightclass vs elite killers determines your legacy.

In a true street fight, Khabib might lose to Jon Jones or Fedor.

You can say "pound for pound" greatest but be real. His small size is a limiting factor. To be the GOAT, you have to consider the other weight classes.

He's 5'10" and 185+ lbs "off season".

There was a funny thread here some years ago about the minimum height to be the "baddest man in the world". Let's not do that again lols.

Do people do this shit in boxing? Say Robinson would have lost to Klitschko therefore Klitschko is the GOAT?

Retired too early. He's not top 5. Doesn't have the longevity or resume.

P4P means, in terms of skill, if they were all the same size. That's the only reason P4P exists.

Boxing fans get it. MMA fans can't be that dense to still not understand that after 20+ years.

MMA fans understand it fine but they just realize how ridiculous it is.

There's a lot more variables in "if they were all the same size" BS. There's something called gravity. It's a child-like concept that shouldn't be taken seriously. That's why boxing fans are so obsessed with "P4P". And that's why they're so child-like.

No doubt khabib should be ranked p4p 1-3 because of his dominance over a stacked division full of killers but being a large lightweight, and being in the range of a welterweight, it certainly does take away from his legacy a bit that he never went up a division. I honestly think he's the same size as Colby. Maybe im just selfish because Colby/usman v khabib would've been a great fight.

It says here he's 5 foot 8 inches tall.

Might be a typo because 178 cm becomes 5.8 feet. That being said, I could see him being in the 5'9 range since he looks about the same height to half an inch shorter than Cormier, a self-confessed 5'9

Khabib is GOAT and he destroys prime Fedor

No doubt khabib should be ranked p4p 1-3 because of his dominance over a stacked division full of killers but being a large lightweight, and being in the range of a welterweight, it certainly does take away from his legacy a bit that he never went up a division. I honestly think he's the same size as Colby. Maybe im just selfish because Colby/usman v khabib would've been a great fight.
He is not a large lightweight, your whole argument is garbage. Khabib is like an average lw at best.

Back