I have a dilemma - Need advice (Long Read)

i would just stick to one, until you can afford to do both... get a base, wether it be BJJ, or boxing, and then add the other in down the track.

a years a long time... your circumstances and gym opportunities will probably change after 1 year. Just pick one.

take the cheap option for the 3 months and see what happens later on.

the other BJJ option does not look flash either.

find a reputable MMA gym and train there, if you can't do this than find a reputable BJJ gym and train there.

The whole idea of 1 year in each discipline is silly and wont do you any good. Also, you are not going to get good enough to compete until you have the time to put in some serious training. Forget the striking and focus on the ground game, enter some tournies, etc. and then rethink it in a year or so or when you are serious.

I just found out that the other BJJ's place instructor is a purple belt and is like a sister place to this place which is in another city ----> Progressive Jiu-Jitsu

Right now, I'm not looking to be competitive in MMA at all but I would like to work on striking and grappling at the same time. I live in a small place so my options are limited. Is my only hope really to just stick with one?

Just do the 3 months for $25 a month at your friends' place and see how it goes. If they get something good going, it might pay off being on the "ground floor." If it doesn't look like it's going to pan out, you can always try something else.

Since they're your friends, you could even help them do some recruiting/advertising. This would help you get a wider variety of training partners and also help their fledgling business get going. Maybe they'll lock you in at a low rate in return, or eventually even let you train free or hire you as staff when they can afford to.

Maybe they'll join a bigger BJJ association and can get some black belts coming in and doing seminars a few times a year.

If my buddies had a garage gym that I trained at and they were trying to get a real gym going I would do everything I could to help them out as long as they were willing to hook me up with affordable training.

But like I said, after a few months if it doesn't look so hot you can always find other options.

Just do the 3 months for $25 a month at your friends' place and see how it goes. If they get something good going, it might pay off being on the "ground floor." If it doesn't look like it's going to pan out, you can always try something else.

Since they're your friends, you could even help them do some recruiting/advertising. This would help you get a wider variety of training partners and also help their fledgling business get going. Maybe they'll lock you in at a low rate in return, or eventually even let you train free or hire you as staff when they can afford to.

Maybe they'll join a bigger BJJ association and can get some black belts coming in and doing seminars a few times a year.

If my buddies had a garage gym that I trained at and they were trying to get a real gym going I would do everything I could to help them out as long as they were willing to hook me up with affordable training.

But like I said, after a few months if it doesn't look so hot you can always find other options.

No no. They don't own the gym. They're just teaching there twice a week and almost ended up paying for their own insurance to teach there. The main reason we moved there is because of more mat space and one of the instructors really wanted to teach. If this was just our place with my friends, I'd be all for it but that's not it. Owners seem like ok people but they're all about business/money side of it and I'm not even sure if a couple of them even train in any sort of MA. One of the main reasons I plan on leaving too is because I'd like to train everyday if I could and they still only train 2 days a week for an hour and a half and because the instructors don't own the place/have some jobs of their own, its likely not going to change.

you can afford your own gym but can't pay a monthly? maybe i misread.

I'm not entirely sure how you got that I own the gym so I don't know how to correct you. :S I'll just reiterate. My friends and I moved into a new MMA gym and 2 of them instruct. For the first 3 months, I pay $25. After that, its $75. If I'm paying that much I'd like to go else where but can only afford one place at a time.

No no. They don't own the gym. They're just teaching there twice a week and almost ended up paying for their own insurance to teach there. The main reason we moved there is because of more mat space and one of the instructors really wanted to teach. If this was just our place with my friends, I'd be all for it but that's not it. Owners seem like ok people but they're all about business/money side of it and I'm not even sure if a couple of them even train in any sort of MA. One of the main reasons I plan on leaving too is because I'd like to train everyday if I could and they still only train 2 days a week for an hour and a half and because the instructors don't own the place/have some jobs of their own, its likely not going to change.

Oh ok. I guess I misread your question. In that case I guess you have to decide whether you like striking or grappling more and pick one. Tough decision. :icon_conf

Oh ok. I guess I misread your question. In that case I guess you have to decide whether you like striking or grappling more and pick one. Tough decision. :icon_conf

Really? There's no sort of middle ground? I really love doing BJJ but striking is exciting in its own way. :[ I'd like to be proficient in both but don't want one to suffer because of the other. Maybe I'm just selfish. I don't want to join a crap MMA gym. If there was a reputable one in the area I'd go but as far as I know there isn't. And even then I'd like to train in the gi still. On a sidenote, If anyone knows of a great place in or close to the Tri-Cities, WA area please speak up.

Yakima Mixed Martial Arts is Rich Guerin's gym and he is as legit as they get around that area imo.

Dang. Any other places you might have in mind? Yakima is an hour and a half drive from where I live.

Moving to Yakima is always an option a few years from now though...

Really? There's no sort of middle ground? I really love doing BJJ but striking is exciting in its own way. :[ I'd like to be proficient in both but don't want one to suffer because of the other. Maybe I'm just selfish. I don't want to join a crap MMA gym. If there was a reputable one in the area I'd go but as far as I know there isn't. And even then I'd like to train in the gi still. On a sidenote, If anyone knows of a great place in or close to the Tri-Cities, WA area please speak up.

Well you would have lots of options if you had more money and lived near a major metropolitan area. But if you live in the Tri-cities, WA, want high-quality MMA or MT and BJJ instruction, and aren't willing to pay more than like $100 for it, I guess you're sort of in a tight spot.

Not that I'd be willing to pay $80 to train at one place and $95 at another place at the same time, that's a small fortune, lol

You don't have to go to Seattle or Portland though, even Yakima and Spokane have some great places to train nowadays.

If you want to do MMA you could try this place over in Walla Walla if that isn't too far of a drive for you: Calhoon’s Martial Arts & Fitness, LLC | Walla Walla, Washington

I can't vouch for how good or legit the instructor is but you can check out the website and see if it looks good to you.

Last edited:
Well you would have lots of options if you had more money and lived near a major metropolitan area. But if you live in the Tri-cities, WA, want high-quality MMA or MT and BJJ instruction, and aren't willing to pay more than like $100 for it, I guess you're sort of in a tight spot.

Not that I'd be willing to pay $80 to train at one place and $95 at another place at the same time, that's a small fortune, lol

You don't have to go to Seattle or Portland though, even Yakima and Spokane have some great places to train nowadays.

If you want to do MMA you could try this place over in Walla Walla if that isn't too far of a drive for you: Calhoon’s Martial Arts & Fitness, LLC | Walla Walla, Washington

I can't vouch for how good or legit the instructor is but you can check out the website and see if it looks good to you.

Thanks for the suggestion. Walla Walla is still a bit of a drive considering I'd like to train everyday. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned near the tri cities :\ My fault. But if there's a high-quality BJJ place in the Tri-Cities that I've missed, please let me know. I could figure something out if it costed more than $100 as long as its a great place. My priority is a bit higher on BJJ than boxing atm but would love good insight on some boxing places too though I might be content with Contenders.

Actually i don't understand why you don't just start paying your friends to teach you out of there garage? Did they get rid of the mats or something? You were going with them for free and im guessing you were happy with the instruction for now.

So ask them to continue to teach some of the "friends" out of the garage and pay them $50 bucks a month cash in there pocket.

Actually i don't understand why you don't just start paying your friends to teach you out of there garage? Did they get rid of the mats or something? You were going with them for free and im guessing you were happy with the instruction for now.

So ask them to continue to teach some of the "friends" out of the garage and pay them $50 bucks a month cash in there pocket.

I was happy with the instruction at the time because it was free. Now that I have to pay I'd like to go somewhere where I can get better instruction. They also have their own time constraints as well. Besides, I was sort of trying it out and it turns out I love it so its time to elevate my game. :] My friends will still help me in my garage for free too. Like one of my current BJJ instructors is going to help me with my striking on the side at my house when I get my mats.

Speaking of which I was wondering what the best way to clean my mats were? They're puzzle mats and they'll be dismantled after every session. One friend told me a mix of bleach and water would do just fine and I did a search and was pretty much told the same thing. That sort of baffles me though because aren't there name brand mat cleaning products? What are the benefits of using one of them over bleach?

Back