I have a bad feeling Chael will outsmart Fedor

TRT Champion

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Everybody here believes Chael stands no chance against Fedor. At first this was what I thought too.

In reality, Chael has a very solid chance to outsmart Fedor and to neutralize him by lay and parying him for 3 rounds. I don't see Fedor pulling a submission off of his back - firstly, because this is not the Fedor of old, and secondly, because Fedor will be fighting a guy whose bread and butter is taking and holding people down.

Chael is not retarded and will totally refuse to stand and bang with Fedor. He will be shooting takedown after takedown, just like he did with dangerous strikers like Silva, Rampage and the others. I see him taking down Fedor with ease and then holding him down for whole eternity.
Would not be surprised if Chael Sonnen wins by boring, but important UD.

What do you people say? Will Sonnen get KTFO-ed by Fedor or will he pull a sneaky lay-and-pray based game plan to outsmart The Last Emperor?

I predict Sonnen will attempt TD after TD only to have Fedor shake them off and unload leaving Sonnen covering up in fetal position.

I'd put my money on Chael winning this one. After all, he held his own with Silva on the feet in their first encounter fairly well and absolutely dominated him on the ground. Chael was 2 minutes away from being UFC champ if it wasn't for that sneaky triangle choke, and, to be honest, I don't see Fedor pulling off that kind of submission (or any submission for that matter) so I'd give Chael the advantage for this fight.

Fedor Judo throws him then Sambo leg locks him. Chael discusses how Fedor used wrestling and BJJ to beat him on his podcast.

I predict Sonnen will attempt TD after TD only to have Fedor shake them off and unload leaving Sonnen covering up in fetal position.

I think this is pretty accurate.

Chael is done if he can't get takedowns often. He will get clipped, no doubt about it.

Everybody here believes Chael stands no chance against Fedor. At first this was what I thought too.

In reality, Chael has a very solid chance to outsmart Fedor and to neutralize him by lay and parying him for 3 rounds. I don't see Fedor pulling a submission off of his back - firstly, because this is not the Fedor of old, and secondly, because Fedor will be fighting a guy whose bread and butter is taking and holding people down.

Chael is not retarded and will totally refuse to stand and bang with Fedor. He will be shooting takedown after takedown, just like he did with dangerous strikers like Silva, Rampage and the others. I see him taking down Fedor with ease and then holding him down for whole eternity.

What do you people say? Will Sonnen get KTFO-ed by Fedor or will he pull a sneaky lay-and-pray based game plan to outsmart The Last Emperor?

Chaels only chance is to lay n pray for a decision he won't be submitting fedor or finishing with gnp.IF CHAEL can get easy takedowns the longer the fight goes the better his odds are.Problem is fedor has great grappling and it won't be easy takedowns for CHAEL.

Chael got by a slow overweight RAMPAGE which was a good win but more about how shitty page is at this point.Wandy was years removed from fighting and was recovering from injury and is just ancient at this point and wandy gave him problems early he stuffed a takedown or 2 and even caught CHAEL and hurt him.Fedor is in much better shape then both of them and much more well rounded.

Fedor literally only has to train takedown defense as chaels standup is not dangerous and fedor is still the bigger,stronger,and faster guy.

After seeing Mir get tossed like a child Its obvious fedor still has defensive grappling instincts and the size to do what he wants he will be working counter hooks to drop chael.

There are plenty of people who think Chael can beat Fedor.

However, I am not one of them. Sonnen is not the roided monster he was in 2011. He will always be a good wrestler but he is fighting someone who is much bigger than him. Sonnen made his living off fighting 185 and 205'ers. Don't get me wrong, Fedor is certainly not what he once was, but he is still a bigger and stronger guy than probably anyone Sonnen has faced aside from Jones or Ortiz? Fedor will come in around 235-240 and that is also with a world of Sambo knowledge. He isn't Rampage fighting 30 lbs. above where he should be. Fedor is maybe 10 lbs. heavier than his prime weight. I think Sonnen will definitely get him down, but I don't think he will keep Fedor there. At some point, he will have to stand and he will be KO'd.

I can see an interesting 1st round but I think Sonnen gets stopped.

I hope not.

I don't want to live in a world where Chael Sonnen holds a victory over Fedor.

Fedor just cant take a shot anymore.

Maldanado isnt a power puncher at all and had him badly hurt. His recovery was terrible in that fight.

So i do think Chael could hurt Fedor standing

Not everyone, I have been picking Chael to win the whole thing since day 1.

Maldanado isnt a power puncher at all and had him badly hurt. His recovery was terrible in that fight.

Maldonado was/is a pro boxer and was admittedly on PEDS for that fight he definitely has KO power.

As crazy as that sounds it's true, this is no gimme fight by any means.

I think so too, I think the Gangster Commander may beat the Greatest in this fight.

Maldonado can hit hard, he could barely even stand in his fight with glover and was able to rock him.

Chael by Sub or Fedor by KO

Well I had this bad feeling when the fight with Mir was announced.
But Fedor steamrolled through him.
Sonnen can definitely make the fight ugly, but aside from the fear that Fedor can underperform at this age, I think Sonnen's not a tougher opponent than Mir.
Fedor should be able to run through him en route to the final. All of Fedor's losses are only to top level HWs.

if Maldanado stood with Chael without Chael going for TD's, Chael would get lit up and stretched.

Unfortunately Fedor is chinny as fuck now and Chael has decent, if not powerful, boxing.

I can see a TKO for Chael.

Last edited:
Realistically anything can happen. It’s not a gimme fight for either one. I hate the possibility of winning by wrestlefucking someone as this sport should be about damage and not just control but this is the state of the sport.

It will all come down to Fedors defensive wrestling. Sprawl and brawl.

I hope not.

I don't want to live in a world where Chael Sonnen holds a victory over Fedor.
I agree and I actually like Chael . I am fine with him beating anyone else, I can't and don't want to even fathom him getting his hand raised in this fight though

Back