I hate to make this thread-Lifting belts.

Ethan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I've searched all day today and yesterday and am agonizing about making this thread, but at the same time I value the opinions of those of you stronger than me, so let's say I'm the skinny kid at the gym asking stupid questions just for this thread.

I'm on the novice side of things, but regardless I'm finding that my squat at heavy attempts is limited by my lower back tension. I don't want to put weight on the bar with a belt, I want to be more comfortable with what is on the bar with the belt. I don't have this issue with deadlifting, so I am thinking the belt will be mostly for squatting, but I want it to be useful for DLing too.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=299&pid=5653

That is what I looked at originally.

I am wondering if 6.5mm will be thick enough. if I buy an EliteFTS belt, I will be spending what I'd consider a fair amount of money on it, and I don't want to be too strong for it in a year. This is the 6.5mm I'm looking at.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=299&pid=5853

My searching turned up APT belts, and I like the price. This is the APT I looked at.

http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/316282

So these are my questions. At 180lbs, squatting 235 as a training max and pulling 315 as a training max with goals of 405/515 at least.

1) Will the 6.5mm be too thin in a year? Does anyone use a 6.5mm regularly? EliteFTS says it's a better "general use" belt.
2) Will a 13mm be too thick to deadlift in? (I read on this forum in my searching one of the stronger guys saying he couldn't pull in a 13mm belt)
3) Lever or prong? I prefer prongs, based on absolutely nothing except using the cheap one at the gym, but I'm open.
4) Will the APT one last me? I really like that eliteFTS one but if it's overkill or overpriced I like the APT too.
5) Finally, should I look at a 10mm or a 13mm?

Feel free to call me names and point out how dumb I am, but an answer would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

1) Will the 6.5mm be too thin in a year? Does anyone use a 6.5mm regularly? EliteFTS says it's a better "general use" belt.
Yes. Get a 10 or 13

2) Will a 13mm be too thick to deadlift in? (I read on this forum in my searching one of the stronger guys saying he couldn't pull in a 13mm belt)
There are plenty of people who deadlift in a 13mm belt.

3) Lever or prong? I prefer prongs, based on absolutely nothing except using the cheap one at the gym, but I'm open.
Personal preference. I have an Inzer 10mm Lever, and I would never go back to a prong belt.

4) Will the APT one last me? I really like that eliteFTS one but if it's overkill or overpriced I like the APT too.
Spend a few more bucks and get a lifetime guaranteed Inzer.

5) Finally, should I look at a 10mm or a 13mm?
Again, a bit of a personal preference. I love my 10mm, but I've never tried a 13mm. I'm squatting 425 and its still working just fine for me.

get an inzer, single prong,
or lever.
i prefer prong b/c my weight tends to change a lot and im too lazy to keep messing with the lever

Yes. Get a 10 or 13

There are plenty of people who deadlift in a 13mm belt.

Personal preference. I have an Inzer 10mm Lever, and I would never go back to a prong belt.

Spend a few more bucks and get a lifetime guaranteed Inzer.

Again, a bit of a personal preference. I love my 10mm, but I've never tried a 13mm. I'm squatting 425 and its still working just fine for me.

Thanks TF, I appreciate your help especially since I'm sure you've answered the same question here countless times.

get an inzer, single prong,
or lever.
i prefer prong b/c my weight tends to change a lot and im too lazy to keep messing with the lever

Thanks. I prefer the idea of the prong as well.

People who wear Bob's Belts seem to swear by them just the same as inzer belt owners do, so look into them as well.

I've bought two belts from Bob's Belts and have zero complaints on the belt itself, but it takes them a while to ship them out to you. The second belt took approximately 6 weeks.

I believe some people on here have ordered from Best Belts as well:

http://www.bestbelts.net/

I'm not sure who but someone linked the site a while back and I bookmarked it because they are cheaper than some other sites but still look like quality.

I'm not sure who but someone linked the site a while back and I bookmarked it because they are cheaper than some other sites but still look like quality.

Since you're in Canada, do you know of an Inzer dealer here?

Since you're in Canada, do you know of an Inzer dealer here?

Any research I've done seems to point to there currently being no Inzer dealer in Canada though my search hasn't been extensive.

Any research I've done seems to point to there currently being no Inzer dealer in Canada though my search hasn't been extensive.

Same here. I found one lead on one french guy from 2009 and the email no longer works.

I just did. Gonna order in a minute because they have a gym bag I want too. Might get some knee sleeves as well. The grey rehbands-any good for squatting?

I just did. Gonna order in a minute because they have a gym bag I want too. Might get some knee sleeves as well. The grey rehbands-any good for squatting?

I like mine. The old blue ones are supposed to be better, but they might be hard to get...

Nice find Ethan. Your Google-fu is stronger than mine :)

Apparently the old blue rehbands are better than the new grey ones because they were 7mm compared to 5mm but the grey ones are still good and easier to find.

Last edited:
Blue ones are easy to find: Jackal's Gym.

I use an EliteFTS 13mm leather economy single prong belt for squatting and a Harbinger 4" nylon velcro belt for deadlifts, bench, and cleans.

I do recommend getting two belts, a thick leather one for squats and a thinner nylon one for everything else. That way you're covered with something that works for every lift and you also don't have to break the bank.

For the squat belt I like the prong instead of the lever because I sometimes squat with a sweatshirt on, sometimes just a t-shirt.

I use a best belts prime cut. It's a 13mm single prong. It's a good belt, I'm happy with it.

Back