I hate referee standups

I tend to agree with you. It's a fight. If someone can pin you on the ground for 5 fucking minutes, then it is your damned fault for not training how to get out of the bottom (or reverse or even submit the other guy).

Strikers already get a bonus stand up at every end of a round.
They should not get more just because the crowd don't like. They should learn to appreciate the ground game.

At the same time the time limits favour boring wrestlers. All they need to do is hold you down and do zero fighting to win the fight. Time limits massively favour wrestlers. And I mean massively!!! Because unlike strikers and submission guys they don't have many natural fight ending ability.

So if we get rid of stand ups then we should get rid of time limits too.

Do you want a division full of Jake Shields? Because that’s how you get a division of Jake Shields.

Or Randy wall and stall Couture, CB dry hump Dollaway...

When I think of the king of just holding an opponent down and doing little to nothing to advance, I think of Jon Fitch. That man could get most anyone down, then acted like he didnt know what to do with them when they were there.

That said, more fighters do need better training in dealing with an opponent who has taken them down. I've seen many on here that dont care for Maia but I've always loved watching him fight. Always looking to advance his position when he was in control and when he was defending, his sweeps were dangerous and beautiful to watch. Even against what were supposed to be high level wrestlers, he could take the upper hand away on the ground and get a win.

Should be under Glory rules. Takedown ain't worth shit but a warning then deduction, stand up and fight.

I wish they would stop that shit.

let them fight man! They’re influencing the damn fight!
They’re changing the outcome!

sometimes they do a stand up and the wrestler gets knocked out after. It’s bullshit.

It's worse than that. Stand ups encourage the fighter on bottom to stall (and to train techniques for stalling) rather than trying to get to their feet (and training techniques to get to their feet).

In other words, stand ups don't just make the fight less realistic and/or less fair... they make it a lot less exciting, too.

Anyone who doesn't believe that should watch some freestyle wrestling and then watch some folk style wrestling.

At the same time the time limits favour boring wrestlers. All they need to do is hold you down and do zero fighting to win the fight. Time limits massively favour wrestlers. And I mean massively!!! Because unlike strikers and submission guys they don't have many natural fight ending ability.

So if we get rid of stand ups then we should get rid of time limits too.
sorry, but this is still a sport and it has to have time limits, so they know how many fights they can put in one night, how long (max) it will take, etc.
But fighters need to learn how to get themselves out of any predicament they are put in.
How to get off the bottom, how to get free from someone pushing them against the cage, etc.

Maybe change the rules to understand that pushing someone against the cage is neutral, much like laying on top of a fighter is neutral on the ground. Maybe that will help.

But a referee shouldn't save a fighter from an uncomfortable position he found himself at.

I want the exact oposite. If a guy is anti-fighting, just throwing short elbows, laying on top of fighters, they should get a warning And be stood up immediately. The Worst is if the ref sees What is going on in round one, And doesn’t do immediate restarts/stand ups And warnings in the other rounds.

Make them fight in a wave pool. Or maybe even a wind tunnel.

Can't have a ground game with no ground

It’s mma n the refs job should only be to watch for illegal blows n stop the fight at the end of rounds or if someone is finished

Make them fight in a wave pool. Or maybe even a wind tunnel.

Can't have a ground game with no ground

Or instead, put a very low roof (like 3 feet tall) on the octagon.

Can't have referee stand ups if you can't stand up !

The MMA ruleset favours the striker not the wrestler

Its there to essentially please and entertain the fans who are the ones that are bring the UFC the money so its expected

Yeah sure. You speak almost like strikers are allowed to hit those double leggers in the back of the head

upload_2020-1-4_16-23-44.png

A 12-6 elbow on the back of the head in that position would sleep most wrestlers.

The double leg position is way more safe and overused thanks to the ruleset, you can't claim it favours the striker.

Then remove time limits, or judges, its called lay and pray for a reason...

If you hate referee standups you should hate that fights have rounds as well

No rounds is cute until you get BJJ stalemates

how is laying on someone just holding position while doing nothing else fighting? If there were no time limits or decisions that would be different but just holding position is a way to game the system and win a decision.

Av checks out
its true though
I dont even follow wrestling btw, i enjoy both aspects

Yeah sure. You speak almost like strikers are allowed to hit those double leggers in the back of the head

View attachment 704749

A 12-6 elbow on the back of the head in that position would sleep most wrestlers.

The double leg position is way more safe and overused thanks to the ruleset, you can't claim it favours the striker.

hmm not really, you're being basing a whole claim on one example. Yes it can defiently do damage but its not a high percentage move, and isnt always readily available. if that was the case then in the early UFC days people a lot more people who tried double legs would have gotten knocked out.

lets not kid ourselves of the facts.
When the round ends with both fighters on the ground, in the next round the fight restarts standing instead of on the ground. That means the person who got taken down essentially gets a free stand up for doing nothing. And the grappler needs to take him down more than once to take him to the ground again.

Also 5 minute rounds do not favour grapplers. For a grappler it can take minutes to get a takedown and secure position and by the time you do comonly there is only a 2 or 3 minutes left to work. We all know a getting a takedown and a submission takes a lot longer than getting a knock out which can come in a few seconds. Getting a submission takes time, there are many things you have to do before hand unlike a knockout which generally can come in a few seconds

Last edited:

sometimes they do a stand up and the wrestler gets knocked out after. It’s bullshit.
I get where you're coming from, but I disagree for the following reason: time limits.

The fight is already artificially stopped every time a round ends. Just accept that this isn't a real fight, but a sport simulation. With the existence of time limits, comes the existence of stalling and point fighting. So I just view referee standups as an extension of the time limit system. They go hand in hand.

In a hypothetical scenario in which there are no time limits, then I'd agree with you that standups are bullshit. But since time limits exist, I think ref standups are for the best.

I love stand ups and I think refs need to stand it up more often. I'm paying to be entertained not watch a wrestler stall on his opponent and coast to a decision.

The fighter is supposed to be doing something - inflicting damage, working for a submission, working to improve their position so they can inflict damage or work for a submission. If they are simply looking to stay in a control position and keep anything from happening except for that (which is basically stalling), then a stand-up is legitimate.

Stand ups are great. They should start releasing the lions on these fuckers when they start stalling and wasting our time .

giphy.gif

Back