I hate referee standups

If anything they should be used more, I'd put a one minute limit on how long the fight can be on the ground before being stood up.

I wish they would become more common tbh.

Well, the problem is/was, with PRIDE 10 minute 1rst rounds in particular, that stalling and clinching on the bottom, in hope of surviving till the standup becomes somewhat viable tactic.

Yellow cards weren't enough to combat it.

Do you want more strict rules or none at all when it comes to stalling? I'm not getting your overall point.

its stupid

you get a free standup at the end of every round anyway

Go watch some of the early Pride events and you'll know why stand-ups are necessary. I agree now in the UFC you get refs who stand fighters up way too early, and that should be redressed, but the rule is and can be a good one.

Vale Tudo was worst. Some IVC fights had fifteen full minutes of gassed guys stuck in guard, with dudes waiting for the other one to waste his energy passing or going for a serious submission.

The ref should only intervene when it's necessary. If it's a total stalemate on the ground, nobody has the upper hand, and nobody is doing damage or advancing position, I have no problem with a stand up. If someone clearly has the upper hand and is working toward something, the ref should stay out of it...whether the crowd is into it or not.

You can't get up? Tough shit. Work on your wrestling. Oh yeah, and holding on for life from the bottom should be penalized. That's stalling and it has no place in a fight.

All a wrestler has to do is stay active striking, advancing position or attempting subs. Stand ups just prevent lay and pray. Decision “fighters” ruin the sport. If you want to watch wrestling, watch fucking wrestling. At least both guys are extremely talented grapplers if you go that route.

I get it. But in order to make the product appealing to everyone, including casuals, they are necessary

I got nothing to add to this other than to this day I’m legit pissed at the ref who pulled Maia off of Usman’s back.

That motherfucking ref should be fined, suspended, and forced to redo whatever training they do to become refs.

Won't be saying that shit when people start taking people down and keeping them there doing fuck all for the rest of the round and stealing rounds that way.

And why there is no the opposite, when referee lays them down and the fight continues on the ground?
Many of Elias Theodorou fights would be saved this way!
NastyFailingAmurstarfish-size_restricted.gif

Most people would say you're an idiot.

Me too.

But I'm not against it. After all it's mixed martial arts and some fights barely go to the ground.

The MMA ruleset favours the striker not the wrestler...

Quite the oposite.

Allow 12-6 elbows aiming the spine and the back of the head. Then the rules would not favour wrestlers. It would be interesting watching the single-legs and double-legs attempts.

I wish they would stop that shit.

let them fight man! They’re influencing the damn fight!
They’re changing the outcome!

sometimes they do a stand up and the wrestler gets knocked out after. It’s bullshit.
I tend to agree with you. It's a fight. If someone can pin you on the ground for 5 fucking minutes, then it is your damned fault for not training how to get out of the bottom (or reverse or even submit the other guy).

Strikers already get a bonus stand up at every end of a round.
They should not get more just because the crowd don't like. They should learn to appreciate the ground game.

I tend to agree with you. It's a fight. If someone can pin you on the ground for 5 fucking minutes, then it is your damned fault for not training how to get out of the bottom (or reverse or even submit the other guy).

Strikers already get a bonus stand up at every end of a round.
They should not get more just because the crowd don't like. They should learn to appreciate the ground game.
Most people like ground work when they are actually working. I remember 2012-2013 where most fight night cards were wrestler takes fighter down and doesn’t advance at all. Just smothered their opponent for 4+ minutes. Forcing fighters to work on the ground is a good thing. No stand ups promotes stalling.

Most people like ground work when they are actually working. I remember 2012-2013 where most fight night cards were wrestler takes fighter down and doesn’t advance at all. Just smothered their opponent for 4+ minutes. Forcing fighters to work on the ground is a good thing. No stand ups promotes stalling.
I disagree.
Just think about it for a second: If 2 fighters are doing nothing while standing up, like it happened on Kimbo & Houston Alexander. Would you put them on the ground? no? Then why do you think it is fair to stand a BB in BJJ up?

I wish they would stop that shit.

let them fight man! They’re influencing the damn fight!
They’re changing the outcome!

sometimes they do a stand up and the wrestler gets knocked out after. It’s bullshit.
Im entirely the opposite, they need more standups whenever top person stops working/advancing and/or bottom guy effectively neutralizes the attack for X amount of time, IE is preventing offense....

the point of the fight is to damage and beat the other person....its not a hug n rest n take it easy match, of course people need reasonable amount of time to implement their skills/attacks but ....they have to also be conscious of stalling

there needs to be point deductions ((or yellow cards)) for stalling both on the feet and on the ground, bigger bonuses for finishing fights....both more incentive to stay active and more detraction from wasting incage time

Back