I hate referee standups

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wish they would stop that shit.

let them fight man! They’re influencing the damn fight!
They’re changing the outcome!

sometimes they do a stand up and the wrestler gets knocked out after. It’s bullshit.

Looks decent to me, chin low, hands high
20081203095928_marcgoddard.JPG

Sometimes is very warranted. Fuck paying 200 bucks plus to see that shit. Other times its unwarranted when a dude is workjing to pass but the ref doesn't grasp the concept.

sometimes they do a stand up and the wrestler gets knocked out after. It’s bullshit.

Go watch some of the early Pride events and you'll know why stand-ups are necessary. I agree now in the UFC you get refs who stand fighters up way too early, and that should be redressed, but the rule is and can be a good one.

The MMA ruleset favours the striker not the wrestler

Its there to essentially please and entertain the fans who are the ones that are bring the UFC the money so its expected

Last edited:
Go watch some of the early Pride events and you'll know why stand-ups are necessary. I agree now in the UFC you get refs who stand fighters up way too early, and that should be redressed, but the rule is and can be a good one.
the thing is people can just stall as easily standing, essentially it boils down to creating entertainment and money because more people prefer to watch a stand up fight than a grappling fight

I don't disagree with every stand up, as in when neither guy is working to better position, but I do hate them most of the time. It seems like in most cases the one who got the take down has assumed superior position and is working towards a sub, GNP, whatever. But good jits and wrestling don't sell tickets like striking :rolleyes:

Just like the shot clock in basketball, it's there for the purpose of seeing action.

This shit has to work in televised format first and foremost

And why there is no the opposite, when referee lays them down and the fight continues on the ground?
Many of Elias Theodorou fights would be saved this way!
NastyFailingAmurstarfish-size_restricted.gif

the thing is people can just stall as easily standing, essentially it boils down to creating entertainment and money because more people prefer to watch a stand up fight than a grappling fight

They have rules to prevent stalling on the feet as well. Would you prefer those rules not be in place either?

LMAO. No thanks. Get rid of takedowns.

Go watch shamrock gracie 2 or gracie vs takada

Sometimes it's necessary, would you rather watch a couple of wrestlers or two guys with equally mediocre grappling just laying there, running out the clock, doing not a damn thing?

Well, the problem is/was, with PRIDE 10 minute 1rst rounds in particular, that stalling and clinching on the bottom, in hope of surviving till the standup becomes somewhat viable tactic.

Yellow cards weren't enough to combat it.

Some guys can tie up the fight forever if you let them.

Referee standups need to be earned. UFC is using that to create the kind of product they want. Sort of like how NBA refs call fouls in favor of superstars (see James Harden, Lebron etc..). Effective grappling is an essential part of the sport. I wish they would stop catering to the "Mike Perry Idiot Type Fans". This sport is at its best with high level fighting wherever it takes place. Look at Usman vs Colby. Two grapplers (especially Usman) chose to stand and bang. That's the great part of the sport. Letting the fight happen naturally without Dana and his buddies manipulating it with fake trash talk and encouraging quick standups to favor what he thinks the fans want to see.

Five minute rounds, gloves, the cage, the rules. There are tons of things that separate a MMA-contest from an actual fight. Making it so that fighters don't just tie each other up for however long you want a round to be seems sensible to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back