I hate not knowing where Im at!

ValeTudo19

White Belt
Reaction score
I been training for little over 3 Years in Bjj, But I haven't trained with anyone with legit ranking in the last 1 1/2 years. So really have no idea where Im at in my game.

I trained with an advanced purple belt 1 1/2 years ago, which when we rolled it ended up being a stalemate for the most part. Since then I've trained mostly with my brother who has really improved in the last year. He has good submission defense ,can pass the guard, solid side mount control. When we roll I can get 2, 3 submissions within an hour of rolling, pass the guard, but he holds his own with in the first 30 minutes until he gasses out

And being that I have never trained with a GI makes it even more harder to know where Im at b/c people don't get ranked by anyone with out the GI!

ValeTudo19 said:
I been training for little over 3 Years in Bjj, But I haven't trained with anyone with legit ranking in the last 1 1/2 years. So really have no idea where Im at in my game.

I trained with an advanced purple belt 1 1/2 years ago, which when we rolled it ended up being a stalemate for the most part. Since then I've trained mostly with my brother who has really improved in the last year. He has good submission defense ,can pass the guard, solid side mount control. When we roll I can get 2, 3 submissions within an hour of rolling, pass the guard, but he holds his own with in the first 30 minutes until he gasses out

And being that I have never trained with a GI makes it even more harder to know where Im at b/c people don't get ranked by anyone with out the GI!
no schools in your area? What happened to your purple belt friend?

There is a school about and hour drive, planing on going soon!

And the purple belt moved away b/c of job promotion

THe only way to improve in a noticable way is to train with people who are better than you. Ouy my son - out and get some competition...

*THe only way to improve in a noticable way is to train with people who are better than you.*

Yeah, but training with the same person day in and day out, they figure out what you do or like to do from every position, so you have to add new techniques, and setups to your game.

ValeTudo19 said:
*THe only way to improve in a noticable way is to train with people who are better than you.*

Yeah, but training with the same person day in and day out, they figure out what you do or like to do from every position, so you have to add new techniques, and setups to your game.
This is very very true. I try to practice periodically at every martial arts school in the area partly so that I don't get used to anyone's particular style.

How about competing?
Or at least hitting a seminar 1-2x a year?

Frodo said:
This is very very true. I try to practice periodically at every martial arts school in the area partly so that I don't get used to anyone's particular style.

I do that to:

1. make friends
2. like rolling with different people
3. see how I stack up against other people in my area

it seems like your implying that you are a purple belt level.

I highly doubt it. but anything is possible,
most people think they are better than they really are.

try competing thats the only way you'll find out how good you are ... rolling with the same people over and over won't do it since you'll eventually get used to their style and know what to look for, etc

Yeah I'll be competing in November , a Submission tournament in the No-GI adult intermediate division.

Should know exactly where Im at after that! :~}

Back