I hate it when instructors doesn't choose partners for you

Found OP's Driver's License Photo.

MV5BZjg4MGNlZDgtMmM5OC00ZmMxLTg3Y2EtZmZjOGJlNDU4NGNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTgxOTIzNzk@._V1_UY666_CR259,0,666,666_AL_.jpg

I've never been at a school where instructor picks your drilling partner.

Fuck my reading comprehension, I thought this was about sparring lol

When my instructor finished demonstrating his technique and it gets extremely awkward afterward. He doesn't choose partners for you, you had to do it yourself.

It's been almost a year and I don't know who my partner will be or how they do it, I just wait and see who comes to me. That's why I always tend to sit in the last spot at first and wait for it and that's why I loved noon class because of less people and less stress. The worst part is when the attendants are uneven and when the instructor tells us to rotate partners after every different technique.

Whereas in my old MT gym, during warmup which was 5 minutes skipping, the instructor would go to us one and one and tell us who your partners will be for the rest of the drilling session. I was always relieved.
No, you're just awkward. Because I do same wait and see who comes thing but i don't feel awkward.

I've never been at a school where instructor picks your drilling partner.

My coach does. He does it mostly by size and weight. He gets annoyed when there is a big mismatch in size like someone 6'2 drilling a technique he showed with someone 5'5. It's easier to learn with someone of similar size, unless you don't have the option.

Our coach pairs people when he wants to provide variety to a member, wants a Higher belt to evaluate a lower belt or "encourages" someone to not sit out the round. Unless I've selected someone, I raise my hand high to indicate that I'm open and normally someone will come to me.

I let the class organize themselves. You tend to stick to your cliques and I’m ok with it as long as it’s not toxic or a hindrance to the class. The ones that stick together tend to have the same goals and are happy to work towards them together.

If there’s a pair or two of newer students I tend to split them up and pair them to more experienced students. Otherwise it’s the blind leading the blind. I’m all for personal responsibility in the way of problem solving, but it’s useless if they don’t have the tools to solve them.

I'm only there to learn, not making friends. It shouldn't be treated as some social club.

It’s not. But you can’t drill and hence learn effectively alone.

You’re in pretty close physical contact with another human being, that can get social in itself. My suggestion is find a few people in your regular classes that have the same goals. You don’t have to like each other, but given you have the same goals, you’re likely to have to be on the same path. Then go out and do your job

Back