I hate it when instructors doesn't choose partners for you

Nooob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When my instructor finished demonstrating his technique and it gets extremely awkward afterward. He doesn't choose partners for you, you had to do it yourself.

It's been almost a year and I don't know who my partner will be or how they do it, I just wait and see who comes to me. That's why I always tend to sit in the last spot at first and wait for it and that's why I loved noon class because of less people and less stress. The worst part is when the attendants are uneven and when the instructor tells us to rotate partners after every different technique.

Whereas in my old MT gym, during warmup which was 5 minutes skipping, the instructor would go to us one and one and tell us who your partners will be for the rest of the drilling session. I was always relieved.

Are you socially awkward in other situations or just when you are wrestling other men in your pajamas?

Don't you have a couple of mates that you prefer?

Trolololol

I'm only there to learn, not making friends. It shouldn't be treated as some social club.

Lol. We have a beer fridge at my club.
We have pizza parties, go out to pub after a competition, go out to the beach and learn to surf.

Well anyway. I will not let 2 beginners drill together as it is counter productive so I will split the higher belts if necessary to match up with the newbie.

If there is an uneven number. I will ask the highest belt to go around and fix mistakes.

I kind of agree. When people choose their own, cliques form, people tend to roll with the same partners and there is less tendency for people to seek out the rolls they don't like, etc. I think having someone else partner up leads to better training.

I agree i think the person running the class should choose the pairs based on experience and size, not people pick out their buddies. Then people are forced to meet new people and there is alot of socially ackward people that join martial arts for confidence and they shouldnt feel insecure if anyone will pick them or not

As a senior belt, I try to roll with the lower belts at least 2-3 rolls in the beginning. Then I start to really train.

As a senior belt, I try to roll with the lower belts at least 2-3 rolls in the beginning. Then I start to really train.

We line up in rank order from most junior to senior. Most senior guy works tech with most junior and so on and so forth. Higher belts get to pick partners for rolling. Keeps it even imo.

I think TS was talking about drilling the technique after the teacher desmontrate the technique of the class.

It's unfair if the instructor pairs me up with some autistic noob.

You don’t really have to be best friends with everyone at the gym if you’re hyper focused on just training, but you’re making far too big of a deal about this. The only suggestion I have for choosing a training partner is to pick someone with a decent work ethic, regardless of their experience.

Outside of that, I’d recommend practicing to become a bit more relaxed when you’re at the gym. I’ve had crazy anxiety all of my life, but the gym is a place of relaxation for me because I don’t have to worry about anything but the task at hand (which usually is to avoid being choked unconscious).

Being super quiet or even anti social is not good either in the gym. I'm not saying you have to hang out with people outsIde of class or be a big jokester, but it's important to come off normal and approachable. Maybe you come off unfriendly and even awkward that is why some avoid you. After a year in you should have a couple of gym buddies already.

Guys who struggle to find partners:
Smelly guy
Guy who doesn't like to drill
Guy who resists during drilling

Back