I had to put down my dog today

RIP Mojo

Sorry to hear about your loss. Reading that got me all choked up.

He has been with me for 12 years. A lab/sheppard/collie mix that I named, Mojo.

I've been noticing him slowin down over the past couple of months. Hard time getting up stairs. Appetite, not what it used to be. Weigh loss. Our walks slowly got shorter and shorter as the months passed.

He had a bad nose bleeding condition that couldn't be helped. This morning it got pretty bad. Woke up with blood all over the place. He had this look on his face that pretty much said "we going for a walk?" 12 years in, and he still had that puppy like demeanor. Only with me, though. I always loved seeing that side of him. As much as I loved seeing that face, I knew this was the end.

At the clinic, the vet walks in and right away, acknowledges the weight loss. 15 lbs since May. He still has size on him, around the waist area was thinner though. The blood starts flowing again. Hes sneezing, with every sneeze blood is coming out. The place is a mess. My eyes start to water, knowing what she is about to say. "He's suffering, I think it's best..." I cut her off and tell her to go ahead with it. Told her I wanted to be with him as he goes. Not a problem. We are moved to another room.
They sedate him first to calm him down a bit. They come in, I'm holding him on my lap. I tell him that I love him and thank him for being my friend for the past 12 years. The process is fast. It kicks in right away as they are injecting. His breaths start to speed up a bit and than slows down. Until there is no more breath. He slowly slumps against me. There is no life left in him. I start to cry. My buddy is gone.

Over the years I have lost a lot of friends and family. I'm and out of many relationships. Achieve certain goals just to go crashing back down. No matter how bad things got, his goofy face always made me laugh and always changed my mood. A walk later, I usually forget what was even bothering me.

It will be tough moving forward. As I'm typing this, I realize that I would usually be taking him on his walk right about now. I don't even know where I'm going with this. I just wanted to share.
RIP Mojo, so sorry to read what's happened and what you must be going through. Here's a bro hug broski!
hug.gif

That sucks man. I sometimes worry about the day I'll have to have my dogs putdown and just thinking about it makes me emotional.

I never cried at work but I almost did today RIP Mojo

Forgot to reply to this. Nice read, thank you.

George G. Vest
Eulogy of the Dog

23 September 1870
Warrensburg, Missouri

Gentlemen of the jury—
The best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter whom he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has he may lose. It flies from him perhaps when he needs it most. A man’s reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is the dog.

Gentlemen of the jury, a man’s dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground when the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he can be near his master’s side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince.

When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens. If fortune drives the master forth an outcast into the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him, to guard him against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws and his eyes sad but open, in alert watchfulness, faithful and true, even unto death.

Lets see....12 years X 365 days = 4,380.

So....when was the last time you had 4,380 good days in a row? In your entire life?

That is my perspective on your dog.

Thoughts going out to you bud. It's the one nagging thought at the back of every dog lovers mind that the day will one day come. Sounds like you gave him the best life he could have hoped for and a humane ending when it was time.

RIP to him and hugs to you.

I've been noticing him slowin down over the past couple of months. Hard time getting up stairs. Appetite, not what it used to be. Weigh loss. Our walks slowly got shorter and shorter as the months passed.

He had a bad nose bleeding condition that couldn't be helped. This morning it got pretty bad. Woke up with blood all over the place. He had this look on his face that pretty much said "we going for a walk?" 12 years in, and he still had that puppy like demeanor. Only with me, though. I always loved seeing that side of him. As much as I loved seeing that face, I knew this was the end.

At the clinic, the vet walks in and right away, acknowledges the weight loss. 15 lbs since May. He still has size on him, around the waist area was thinner though. The blood starts flowing again. Hes sneezing, with every sneeze blood is coming out. The place is a mess. My eyes start to water, knowing what she is about to say. "He's suffering, I think it's best..." I cut her off and tell her to go ahead with it. Told her I wanted to be with him as he goes. Not a problem. We are moved to another room.
They sedate him first to calm him down a bit. They come in, I'm holding him on my lap. I tell him that I love him and thank him for being my friend for the past 12 years. The process is fast. It kicks in right away as they are injecting. His breaths start to speed up a bit and than slows down. Until there is no more breath. He slowly slumps against me. There is no life left in him. I start to cry. My buddy is gone.

Over the years I have lost a lot of friends and family. I'm and out of many relationships. Achieve certain goals just to go crashing back down. No matter how bad things got, his goofy face always made me laugh and always changed my mood. A walk later, I usually forget what was even bothering me.

It will be tough moving forward. As I'm typing this, I realize that I would usually be taking him on his walk right about now. I don't even know where I'm going with this. I just wanted to share.
Sorry to hear man. It always sucks having to make that decision.

I had to make the call with both of my moms shih tzus back around 08/09, because she was kinda in denial over how bad they had deteriorated. The older make, Georgie, was overwrought, had lost all his teeth, was mostly dead, and had that typical congestive heart failure cough. He started having seizures one night, and the last one it seemed like he never mentally came out of it. Just sprinted in circles. I stayed up with him all night and fed him his favorite people food but couldn't bear to be there when he was put down. The female, zuzu, had a horrible bleeding foot infection that just kept spreading until she couldn't walk anymore. After Georgie went, she became increasingly more depressed and showed signs of dementia. Wasn't able to go with her due to work.

We spread their ashes where we did my dads, since he was so fond of those dogs. I think party of the reason I'm so obsessed with our shih poo Goji is because she reminds me a lot of zuzu.

Billy I'm hijacking your thread sorry man. Mine went today. One of the most horrible experiences of my life. I'm sorry you had to go through it. I never imagined I'd be laying on a vets floor holding my dead dog. RIP girl.

Billy I'm hijacking your thread sorry man. Mine went today. One of the most horrible experiences of my life. I'm sorry you had to go through it. I never imagined I'd be laying on a vets floor holding my dead dog. RIP girl.

R.I.P.

Sorry man.

Put my lab/collie mix down about 8 years ago at the age of 14. Still miss that big lug from time to time.

Sorry to hear, Brodels. R.I.P. G-unit

I am sorry to hear that :(

3 days ago, we had to put down our cat. 3 years ago, we put down my other feline friend of many years :(

It does not get easier. Explaining to my 4 year old daughters is the hardest part aside from my fiancee and I sitting with them as they do the injections.

I am pretty much of mind to not want anymore pets for awhile. In fact, I remember when I was 8 our cat died and my Dad was adamantly against any more cats despite our asking. I always thought he didn't like cats because he was so dead against it. But when I was 12 my sister was moving to university and snuck a cat into her room 2 months before she moved. She warned us all not to tell dad, but we kept sneaking into her room to play with the kitten and eventually he wondered why we all kept sneaking into her room.

Ill never forget when he opened the door and we were busted. He saw the cat and said "Oh NO!", and I thought we were in for it, but then instead he sat down giving the cat ear rubs and chin rubs with genuine affection, and I could see he loved cats and I asked again if we could get a cat since she was taking him to university and the answer was still no.

20 years later, I completely understand

Back