I had "one of those days" today rolling

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by MMAR15, Sep 14, 2010.

1. MMAR15

MMAR15 Orange Belt

One of those days as in a good day that is. Ever have that day where you just finally "get something" ? I've started to relax alot more and attempt technique over strength.

Today my "a-ha moment" was posturing up. You can talk about it on an internet forum all you want and watch youtube videos all day long but there comes a moment after much practice where you finally just "get it" and actually put it into practice.

While rolling with a very good blue belt who also 6'3" 245lbs ripped I was able to not get pulled down and submitted into his guard. It was basically a 5 minute stalemate of me 'posturing up' inside his half guard with his knee across my stomach/chest. We both continued to work but I was able to really get a good base and stay up.

It sounds stupid but man it was still a good feeling to put something into practice the "correct way". Saulo's book really has helped me recently as I'm now more focused on 'surviving' and 'escaping'. If the submission presents itself then fine, but my main focus is the 'basics'.

Anyway, thanks for reading the post an no you can't get a refund on the 30 seconds of your life you spent reading it.:icon_chee

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  2. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Rear Naked Poker

if hes got his knee across your chest, you could try the leg rope pass. pg 227

3. MMAR15

MMAR15 Orange Belt

After class I had the instructor show me three different things I can do. The real 'a-ha' moment will come again when I have the presence of mind to put those into practice and still maintain my base.

I know it sounds silly but I was pretty excited to maintain a good base that couldn't get swept.

4. blfdgrappler

blfdgrappler Orange Belt

Dude, congrats on your a-ha, light bulb, epiphany moment! They are always so sweet when they occur. Best of luck with your continued success.

5. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

damit, can't find a video online.

anybody got one they can post??

6. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

I am still waiting for my ah-ha moment when i'm in someones guard. They always manage to pull me down. I know the movement of posturing up in guard , but all of a sudden, i get grabbed by the lapel or wrist and then I'm fighting for my life again. It's been about 4 months now...

I had an ah-ha moment when I'm mounted. I trap the arm and the leg on the same side and I bridge.....It's been working like a charm. But posturing...i just need some more time....

Congrats dude..... guard breaking is torture for me...I hate it and I always get submitted...

7. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

hand fight....

8. SLaKKJaW

SLaKKJaW Blue Belt

It's a great feeling. Keep working, researching and asking. And remember.. epiphanies are few, sometimes, and many, others. Just try to ride them as far as they'll take you and think back on them when you plateau (because you will) and nothing seems to be working or making a difference.

9. SLaKKJaW

SLaKKJaW Blue Belt

Gi or no-gi?

10. Steve3730

Steve3730 Green Belt

practice looking at the ceiling, it helps you keep your posture.

11. CrazyJHL

CrazyJHL Brown Belt

With Nogi I can keep my posture, but with Gi it's quite a bit harder to deal with. Part of it is I'm not used to the grips yet, maybe I should go back to Saulo's book and see if I can't find anything helpful, haven't looked at it in a while.

12. namdogg59

namdogg59 Yellow Belt

Seems like everyone is mentioning saulo's book. Maybe I should look into purchasing it.

13. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

Call me mad, but I don't like "good days" in the gym. They distort the true picture of my progress as much as the bad days. Beware the come-down when you roll next time and you can't posture up for shit! :icon_chee

14. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

I've been doing this a lot whenever people do the knee on chest. It's been very effective but I have gotten put in triangles from not doing it properly.

15. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

I had an opposite night at no-gi last night. Locked in a solid triangle and then got a charlie horse right in the middle...couldnt even finish the sub - pulled an armbar out of it but hobbled off laughing right afterwards.

16. HulmeHardy**

HulmeHardy** Green Belt

Yh its good when ya have a good rolling session, keep on goin mayne.

17. boboplata***

boboplata*** Banned Banned

i always try to flatten my partner when i'm inside their half-guard. i only give space when i go for a brabo. i'm not that experienced but posturing up inside half guard seems like asking for trouble. am i wrong?

18. iheartthemount

iheartthemount Blue Belt

yeah i remember when i got my first moment like that. literally like 5 months into training i just did a triangle without trying to set it up or anything, it just happened. it's nice when you just do something out of muscle memory.

congrats.

19. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

It's a two-edged sword really. You can posture up and spin for a kneebar, but if you just posture up they can attack your non-trapped leg with a toe-hold, for example. Actually, even if you spin for the kneebar, they can still toe-hold you if you lead with the knee instead of the foot. I'm just waffling now. I dunno.

20. Senshi

Senshi Brown Belt

when i first got university of jiu-jitsu book i started a lot of his things and i remember i was defending, defending, defending and ended up tiring out my opponent who tried soo hard to keep taking my back and ended up reversing him, mounting and using one of his favorite collar chokes!!