I had frampton winning

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by BusterKeaton, Jul 31, 2016.

1. BusterKeaton

BusterKeaton Green Belt

but it was razor close and I would have had no argument for 115-113 LSC.
    close fight. great fight. great showing by both. how did you score it?

2. JayElectra

JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

116-112 Santa Cruz. A lot of tossup rounds, so I don't mind seeing Frampton get the nod. I thought 117-111 Frampton was a little ridiculous, though. There was a live scoring thread if you want to see what everyone else here thought.

3. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

I had it 115/113 Frampton.

I was actually noticing @JayElectra 's card during the fight and he and I were seeing rounds differently. I noticed at least one round he gave to Frampton that I gave to LSC and vice versa.

I thought it was a fight that truly could have gone either way without controversy.

4. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

I honestly can't see the fight for Cruz. I had it 8-4 for Frampton. I wonder if some people will see it different if they watch it again, without the emotions of a live fight.

Gigaton Punch and ExitLUPin like this.
  5. BusterKeaton

BusterKeaton Green Belt

the commenting team had it hilarious wide for frampton so I dont think people will change their mind. it was a close fight

6. JayElectra

I honestly can't see how you see the fight for Frampton. I mean, I can, but I can't honestly see how you can't possibly see it for Santa Cruz.

paddy_da_pikey likes this.
  7. paddy_da_pikey

paddy_da_pikey Purple Belt

Check my location - I tried to score as impartially as possible, maybe even too critical in LSC favour but I had him winning by 1 round.

Keep in mind when I wrote this in facebook I was destroyed by my friends. I wanted Frampton to win, hes a great great fighter, but I just felt he won Rounds 1 - 3, round 12 and 1 of the middle rounds. I felt that LSC connected better and had the cleaner scoring shots and not just glancing blows and glove shots in the pocket in volume.

I will watch again and try and be more objective but I felt going into the last 2 rounds Frampton was behind and needed the last 2 for a draw = he lost the 11th and the 12th he won.

If it was such a wide margin then Barry McGuigan wouldnt have had his head in hands praying for a decision.

It was a very very close fight but if im honest it left a sour taste in my mouth (get your tinfoil hat ready) but I couldnt help but feel that Boxing has say the Irish Green Dollar success in MMA and Frampton (whilst technically British) had a lot of Irish support and benefitted from a 'home' decision even in NY.

Just my 2 cents

JayElectra likes this.
  8. Rimbaud82

Rimbaud82 Black Belt

Away on!!

I can see how some might see a Santa Cruz win, he definitely came on strong and won a lot of the later rounds but the fact that you're pulling conspiracy theories about Frampton winning only because he was Irish just seems like nonsense to me. This was a brilliant, close fight, and while I could see how some might have scored it for Santa Cruz, Carl more than earned the decision in my mind. As for Barry, well he always looks extremely nervous at Carl's fights nevermind one of this magnitude where Carl has the opportunity to win back his old belt, so I hardly think you can read anything into that.

9. Rimbaud82

Rimbaud82 Black Belt

Yes that 117-111 scorecard was ridiculously wide, but I felt the decision was right. I A rematch is definitely due at some point, hopefully in Belfast so I can see it live or at least not have to stay up until all hours of the morning haha.

10. JayElectra

Frampton fought his heart out and showed a massive amount regardless of the result, but it's a fair conclusion to see Santa Cruz winning it. Still, it was an exceptional fight.

11. JayElectra

I really have no horse in the race (although, I feel like I'm getting closer to the point of having to support Frampton), but I'd absolutely love to see it again. Shit, there is something about Frampton that makes me want to see something crazy and widespread in terms of support. And I say this as a Catholic (nominal), but I want to see it.

12. Rimbaud82

Rimbaud82 Black Belt

No doubt, and I can understand people scoring it for him, a lot of the middle/late rounds especially could go either way. But I think it's an equally fair conclusion to see Frampton winning and calling it a 'hometown' decision just doesn't sit right with me.

JayElectra likes this.
  13. JayElectra

And I'd never say it. It was a go either way fight.

Rimbaud82 likes this.
  14. Rimbaud82

Rimbaud82 Black Belt

Indeed, it's already pretty crazy in NI but with this win it has the potential to grow to something even bigger.

What's that got to do with anything :p

One thing about boxing in Ireland is that it cuts across sectarian divides, unlike other sports like football/soccer, that is one of the the best things about it. For one it's all island, so protestants like Carl represent Ireland at the olympics but more importantly at a local level Catholics will come to Protestant clubs to spar and vice versa. Like Barry back in the day wee Carl has a lot of support from both sides of the community.

Love your new avi by the way :)

JayElectra likes this.
  15. JayElectra

I say this as someone who has no business talking about Irish divides as I'm a massive outsider, but Carl winning does really represent something bigger, I hope. Sectarian violence isn't was it was (again, no business talking meaningfully about any of this), but that's something that can always come back, especially in the current political climate, and Carl is a right step forward.

Rimbaud82 likes this.
  16. The Can Opener

The Can Opener Brown Belt

I had it the same. I do think Cruz had a couple very dominant rounds that looked pretty one-sided but winning a round is winning a round whether it's by a landslide or by just a few punches. Frampton clearly had better defense and sharper offense for most of the fight. Cruz won his rounds with volume and heart but in several rounds he was simply outclassed.

17. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

I thought Frampton clearly won most of the rounds. When they read that one judge had it even, I thought that was ridiculous.

18. juanma25

juanma25 Orange Belt

There were a ton of people who traveled from Ireland / UK to come see the fight or at least it felt that way. I was expecting the crowd to be somewhat split between people supporting Frampton and LSC but a much larger percentage of people were there to see Frampton. I'm guessing he is pretty popular and well known at this point in Ireland and the UK. I do recall hearing about how they had to construct an outdoor arena for his 1st or 2nd fight with Martinez because no venue was big enough.

When that left hook landed in the 2nd round the place went nuts. I figured if Frampton was going to win he was going to have to land something early to get LSC thinking and earn his respect and I think he definitely did this at that point. I can't believe he decided to stand and trade as much as he did with LSC though seemed like whenever he decided to box in spots he was walking LSC into some decent shots. When LSC started pushing Frampton back and bullying him in the 6th round it felt like that was going to be the beginning of the fight changing course and he was going to begin to wear him down but Carl was just on another level that night.

Anyway it was a really close fight watching it live with a lot of ebb and flow. I've been a big Frampton fan for a couple of years ever since someone on this forum mentioned him on a thread about prospects to watch out for and that was just all around and awesome fight to have attended. Also rode the subway from Penn st. over to the arena with Anthony Crolla's manager which was pretty cool to talk to him and get his perspective on the boxing landscape. Apparently they don't think much of Wilder in the UK.

Rimbaud82 likes this.
  19. Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

This fight really delivered. I'm going to rewatch it today and look closer at those toss-up swing rounds. Can't wait to see a rematch.

20. McKay89

McKay89 White Belt

I had it 115-113 Frampton.