I got a week to cut 12 pounds.

Easykiel

White Belt
Reaction score
Im starting my cut tomorrow, I compete August 7th and my weigh ins are right before my first match. So I wanna cut with the least impact on my body.

Im 226 right now and need to get down to 214, can any of you guys help me out here? I just had my last full fledged meal and now need to cut haha

what sport has a 214 weight class?

but way to procrastinate. you can only lose about 2, 3, 4 lbs safely in a week. you'd have to dehydrate the last 8-10 lbs. thats not too bad for a guy your weight.

Its for Jiu-Jitsu, fighting at 221 and gotta put into account the weight of the gi aswell.

go get your appendix removed anything that can go and stay thirsty my friend

What awid said.
Correct me if im wrong but I get the impression from:
Im 226 right now and need to get down to 214, can any of you guys help me out here? I just had my last full fledged meal and now need to cut haha
That this is your first time cutting weight for a fight, in which case you should have asked this question earlier. It's not an exact science and rarely turns out right the first time (even if you make the weight you end up gassing etc). Read up on the threads about cutting weights and take more time with it next time.

This is my third BJJ event and Ive been freestyle wrestling for four years and have competed in over 20 tournaments. Im just looking for ways to cut with minimal impact to the body.

First off buy a lighter gi, you can easily find one which will weigh only 4 lbs. Also the IBJFF scales in my experience tend to weigh light so you can be 1-1.5 lbs over and still make weight on their scales. With this in mind you should only have to lose about 8 lbs.

With one week out there isn't much to do besides cut your food intake drastically and do a lot of cardio. You can make it, but it will cost you some endurance come match time.

Im starting my cut tomorrow, I compete August 7th and my weigh ins are right before my first match. So I wanna cut with the least impact on my body.

what is your diet like now?

usually, cutting our carbs, except for some fruit post-workout, and stopping creatine will allow you to cut out a lot of water weigh.

if you're already super low carb and not taking creatine, well then, you can check the weight cutting thread in the FAQ and start doing a simple water cut.

LOL good luck cutting 12lbs for your first time! drink lots of water until 2 days before the fight, then cut water down by 70% and go for a sauna, on the last day take on no water at all and go for another sauna. It's important that you have very little or no carbs during the week you do this. TBH you shouldn't have left it so late to cut this much weight, especially since the first cut is always a bitch. "The first cut is the deepest" haha

LOL good luck cutting 12lbs for your first time! drink lots of water until 2 days before the fight, then cut water down by 70% and go for a sauna, on the last day take on no water at all and go for another sauna. It's important that you have very little or no carbs during the week you do this. TBH you shouldn't have left it so late to cut this much weight, especially since the first cut is always a bitch. "The first cut is the deepest" haha

... not just that, but BJJ you weigh in right before you step on the mat. You're going to be dying of dehydration. This isn't like a boxing cut where you have a day to carb-load and rehydrate. I think you might want to just stick with the higher weight class and retain some energy.

This is coming from a guy making a similar decision as we speak.

Shit, I didn't know that I just thought it would be day gefore weigh-in's like everything else, TS is gonna have big problems with his cardio then :icon_conf.

This is my third BJJ event and Ive been freestyle wrestling for four years and have competed in over 20 tournaments. Im just looking for ways to cut with minimal impact to the body.

There isn't one.

If this is just a BJJ tournament, why not just fight at whatever your weight is? If you want to fight at a lower weight, do an actual diet to lose the weight and keep it off before the next tournament.

There isn't one.

If this is just a BJJ tournament, why not just fight at whatever your weight is? If you want to fight at a lower weight, do an actual diet to lose the weight and keep it off before the next tournament.

this is a good point actually. nobody is keeping track of your bjj tournament record. it's just one tournament, so fight at a bit heavier weight and perform well, rather than performing like shit at a lower weight. it's no big deal.

Back