I got a telescoping baton

ShindoNinja

Faixa Preta
@Green
Reaction score
Anyone know of some good training references for this weapon? All I find on youtube are TMA guys doing crazy stuff that would never work. Thanks!

I had one fo those at work. They pack quite a punch and can break bones easy peasy, fo sheezy.

The laws here surrounding batons are confusing. They're basically legal to buy and legal to own but illegal to have in posession. You can buy them at Martial Arts stores and Flea Markets but you can't carry them around.

A buddy of mine used to carry one and when the cops stopped him one day and found it, he told them that he walks home through the park at night and will sometimes run into Coyotes. They let him go with a warning.

The laws here surrounding batons are confusing. They're basically legal to buy and legal to own but illegal to have in posession. You can buy them at Martial Arts stores and Flea Markets but you can't carry them around.

A buddy of mine used to carry one and when the cops stopped him one day and found it, he told them that he walks home through the park at night and will sometimes run into Coyotes. They let him go with a warning.

They are not illegal to carry in Canada meaning there is no specific law against them.....but If you use it anything can be considered a weapon......

They are not illegal to carry in Canada meaning there is no specific law against them.....but If you use it anything can be considered a weapon......

That's pretty much what fucks us over, the ambiguity of the law; because it's legal if you're not carrying it for use as a weapon, but good luck telling a cop that you're packing a baton to...I dunno...extend your reach, or something non-hostile. Same goes with pepper...I mean "bear/dog" spray, it's okay if you're defending yourself against wild animals, use it against another human being, then make sure your aren't caught.

Good luck trying to explain to a cop an alternative use for a collapsible baton.

"No, no office, this i my reaching/poking stick!"

Collapsible batons are SOOOooo bad... ass!!!

As far as training goes, KALI (stick fighting) would be best.

Good Luck!

:D

Collapsible batons are SOOOooo bad... ass!!!

As far as training goes, KALI (stick fighting) would be best.

Good Luck!

:D

A collapsing baton doesn't have as much striking surface as a tempered rattan stick; you're not actually supposed to hit someone with the shaft of the baton because you can bend it, you should be making impact with the ball on the end. There are actual baton classes, usually for LE or security, and those would be better options.

Kali, will teach him how to use his baton for leverage, to parry, create angles while defending attacking, etc...

or he could take a combative/LE course, but he is not only going to need to learn techniques. He NEEDS to apply them! This is where pressure testing and scenario drilling comes into play, ala Kali.

As far as not hitting some one with the shaft, how many people do you think are going to be so accurate that they only make contact with the tip of a baton? I for one have seen, and used, a collapsible baton. When doing pressure testing or scenario drills or even sparring. it is extremely hard to anticipate the movement of your target and most of the time you will get jammed and end up striking with shaft.

Take a Kali/Eskrima course, OP, and you will understand.

Kali looks like it would be a great option for someone looking for self defense training.

Kali, will teach him how to use his baton for leverage, to parry, create angles while defending attacking, etc...

or he could take a combative/LE course, but he is not only going to need to learn techniques. He NEEDS to apply them! This is where pressure testing and scenario drilling comes into play, ala Kali.

As far as not hitting some one with the shaft, how many people do you think are going to be so accurate that they only make contact with the tip of a baton? I for one have seen, and used, a collapsible baton. When doing pressure testing or scenario drills or even sparring. it is extremely hard to anticipate the movement of your target and most of the time you will get jammed and end up striking with shaft.

Take a Kali/Eskrima course, OP, and you will understand.

I agree with every bit of this post. If you can find a place that trains in your area check it out. Also look for the sister arts such as arnis and silat if you can't find kali.

That's pretty much what fucks us over, the ambiguity of the law; because it's legal if you're not carrying it for use as a weapon, but good luck telling a cop that you're packing a baton to...I dunno...extend your reach, or something non-hostile.

tell them you were headed somewhere to thresh some rice. works for all kinds of chinese weapons too.

I wanted to get a telescope baton after watching SPL (aka Kill Zone) with Donnie Yen.

YouTube - SPL - Donnie Yen vs. Jing Wu

Also, this chart should be useful...

ETC.gif

Last edited:
Check for monodanock's chart on strike zones and understand what strikes may be considered lethal force...

Back