I find heelhooks mind blowing.

Human Bass

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I mean, the guy is grabbing your heel, but then you suddenly feel something inside your knee stretching. It is fuckin magic, i tell ya. It is not intuitive at all, I wonder how people found out about it.

Look up torsion if you want to learn more about the mechanics of a heel hook.

I think it is pretty intuitive actually.

The reason it seems weird is that the upper body equivalent of a heel hook is never used in BJJ. It's not because it's illegal; it's just way too low percentage to work.

The upper body equivalent is something like shiho nage. It's one of those throws you'd see Steven Seagal do in a movie. You twist the wrist, which twists the elbow, which twists the shoulder. The weakest part breaks. You control the whole limb just from twisting the most distal joint.

If anybody in BJJ actually used this type of upper body throw, heel hooks would not be so weird. Then they'd just be the lower body equivalent. Kind of like how a kneebar is not mysterious because it's just an armbar done to the leg.

I think it is pretty intuitive actually.

The reason it seems weird is that the upper body equivalent of a heel hook is never used in BJJ. It's not because it's illegal; it's just way too low percentage to work.

The upper body equivalent is something like shiho nage. It's one of those throws you'd see Steven Seagal do in a movie. You twist the wrist, which twists the elbow, which twists the shoulder. The weakest part breaks. You control the whole limb just from twisting the most distal joint.

If anybody in BJJ actually used this type of upper body throw, heel hooks would not be so weird. Then they'd just be the lower body equivalent. Kind of like how a kneebar is not mysterious because it's just an armbar done to the leg.

A Kimura is similar. To someone unfamiliar it looks like you are attacking someones elbow

It's possible it came about by accident initially. Perhaps during an achilles or straight ankle lock someone was trying to get out of, and the aggressor clamped down hard to stop them escaping fully etc. That sort of thing.

I mean, the guy is grabbing your heel, but then you suddenly feel something inside your knee stretching. It is fuckin magic, i tell ya. It is not intuitive at all, I wonder how people found out about it.

Aliens.

It's in the Bible. Genesis 32:22-32. Jacob wrestles the angel and gets his hip and knee dislocated.

It's well known that what were called angels in the Bible were actually aliens. Religion came about when primitive people encountered beings from other planets and started worshipping them like idiots.

What we call aliens are actually angels from a different planet fleeing from rampant secularism there.

I've always been frustrated how it's impossible to "wrist lock" the ankle.

am I the only one who actually feels a heel hook on my ankle before my knee?

Nope. I like to show off some subs to the girls I get lucky with and I always do heelhooks, slowly of course. Some have felt the heel first, others the knee. Yeah, thanks to Tinder I have a good sample of people telling me how a heelhook feels.

I mean, the guy is grabbing your wrist, but then you suddenly feel something inside your shoulder stretching. It is fuckin magic, i tell ya. It is not intuitive at all, I wonder how people found out about it.

Stand one one leg now imagine some one turned your whole body 180 degrees while your foot stays planted. Its essentially what a heel hook is, except its way easier to understand how that would destroy your knee.

Doesn't it depend on a quality of the heel hook?
A really badly applied one will be ankle only (as the knee will be able to move to avoid pressure).
When I was in a really well applied the knee had no room to go so it felt like all the pressure would go into hurting my knee.

Doesn't it depend on a quality of the heel hook?
A really badly applied one will be ankle only (as the knee will be able to move to avoid pressure).
When I was in a really well applied the knee had no room to go so it felt like all the pressure would go into hurting my knee.

I think how you grip it for your attack is a large factor. A lot of people I seen heel hook with the crook of their arm/Elbow on the heel. Reily Bodycomb shows a grip closer to your hand and wrist which gives more leverage but can also dig into the achillies giving more pain into the sub before needing to crank on it.

I think how you grip it for your attack is a large factor. A lot of people I seen heel hook with the crook of their arm/Elbow on the heel. Reily Bodycomb shows a grip closer to your hand and wrist which gives more leverage but can also dig into the achillies giving more pain into the sub before needing to crank on it.

From my experience its dependant on the bend of the knee...a 45 degree bend + a heel hook is devastating...hardly any time to tap, very dangerous

most cases tho when you are resisting you never get your opponent to a full 45 degree bend...the less bend the less it attacks the knee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back