"I Feel Like I Have The Potential To Be A UFC Champion" Gegard Mousasi

I can see him being a top five easily with the right training.

Champion? Don't think so, Jones is too damn good and won't lose anytime soon, unless he moves up.

Needs to be working on cardio, gameplans and tdd. The first two can be easily dealt with. Tdd is alot harder and requires the right coaches, sparring partners and dedication. The potential is there for him to contend for one but only if he really puts in the time. If jones moves up his chances increase exponentially. The only guy if favor heavily against him in a jones-less division is rashad.

Lol, could you imagine Jones vs mousasi? Mousasi would be beaten into a coma.

02_Gegard_Mousasi.jpg

Dat posture

It's terrible

And I don't see him going that far at 185, especially not 205.

Agreed. Mousasi is a fucking animal.

If he's for the first time really taking training seriously, working on his wrestling, etc. No one can stand and bang with Mousasi that I've seen, if he can keep the fight on the feet I can't see many people challenging his footwork, combos and hand speed.

This.

How do you think Gegard will do in the UFC? I don't see him being better than top 10. I don't see him making the top 5.

Top 10 for sure. Gegard would make extremely quick work out of Not-Prime Shogun. On the other hand, I think Gegard should cut to 185 where he will definitely fight for the title.

Would love to see him face Machida.

Would be an interesting matchup.

obviously each fighter has to believe themselves they can be number 1,nothing wrong with that,but right now he should fully concentrate on Mike Kyle ,the way that fight goes will determine his close future about UFC

Championship material? Not from what I've seen.
Top 5? Probably not. JBJ, Rashad, Machida, Davis, Gus, Teixeira, and in-shape Shogun and Rampage (if they're still alive somewhere out there) all top him currently.
Top 10? Probably. He definitely beats out guys like out-of-shape Shogun and Rampage, as well as probably Forrest.
He'll never beat Jones or Anderson.
Only Jones, Anderson, or Father Time can beat those 2 beasts.

obviously each fighter has to believe themselves they can be number 1,nothing wrong with that,but right now he should fully concentrate on Mike Kyle ,the way that fight goes will determine his close future about UFC

Very true.

He was ranked 6th at LHW just a couple years ago, and a year before that he was ranked 6th at MW, and accomplished both of those feats when he was 24 and 25... and he was ranked in the top 15 right up until a couple months ago.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/3/Sherdog-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-22040

http://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/4/Sherdog-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-14698

http://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/3/Sherdogs-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-45067

It's way too early to say that he couldn't break into the top 5, or even become a champion. He's only 27, has a lot of potential and he seems as if he's motivated to try and unleash that potential. He only has to work on his cardio and wrestling, it's been pretty well known that he doesn't train as hard as he could-- which, considering the level of LHW competition outside of the UFC and that he was locked in his Strikeforce and Dream contracts, is understandable. Where's the motivation to train as hard as you can if you're young and can't fight the best in the world due to reasons beyond your control? If he has the focus and motivation to work on his problems, he could definitely become a contender.

This. Unfortunately he's too lazy to cut down there.

I'd love to see Mousasi fight Anderson, Vitor, and even Rockhold at 185. However, its extremely unfair to accuse a fighter of being lazy when you don't know that to be the case. Every time a fighter doesn't want to fight at the weight we think he is ideal to contend at, Sherdog posters jump all over him.

I would welcome guys like Rashad, Machida, and Shogun at MW too, just so Anderson haters can't say MW is weak anymore. Of course, if Anderson finished all those guys, his haters would simply claim that are all better at 205, so the wins don't count (like they do with the Hendo fight). Anyway, all these fighters are elite at their craft, and they have decades of experience between them. I trust that they know at what weight class they perform best.

Championship material? Not from what I've seen.
Top 5? Probably not. JBJ, Rashad, Machida, Davis, Gus, Teixeira, and in-shape Shogun and Rampage (if they're still alive somewhere out there) all top him currently.
Top 10? Probably. He definitely beats out guys like out-of-shape Shogun and Rampage, as well as probably Forrest.

Only Jones, Anderson, or Father Time can beat those 2 beasts.

You don't think he would beat Rampage,Shogun(In shape or whenever that would), Teixeira or Machida? Only wrestlers would give him true problems, that's it.

Mousasi shares ties with fellow legends BJ Penn & the Diaz brothers. Motivated Mousasi is a scary guy for opponents in any weight class. Also, he never loses; he just runs out of time.

On a serious note, he's good enough to be a top contender at either MW or LHW but he is prone to getting grapplefucked by stud wrestlers like Rashad, Weidman, etc.

I think he would absolutely tool "#1 contender" Michael Bisping; The Count would have no shelter in that fight. He's already beaten Lombard (yes, it was ages ago) and KOed Jacare. Healthy & motivated, he's a top 3 MW and top 5 LHW IMO.

Would love to see him face Machida.

Would be an interesting matchup.

That would be a great fight. I think Rashad, Machida, Gus, and (obviously) Jones would give Gegard problems. However, outside of those guys, I think Gegard does well. He might go 2/4 with those four fighters as well. It's hard not to see him at #5 or #6, or better.

Back