I enjoyed mma more when I knew nothing about ufc/Dana/fighter pay

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Beejay Pin, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Beejay Pin

Beejay Pin Green porridge Double Yellow Card

Back when I was a filthy casual and rented DVDs and watched the odd ppv I think I liked it more than now that I know about the politics, for want of a better word.

Now when I can't sleep I read sherdog and read how scummy the owners are to fighters and all this other shit, it's pissed me off and made me dislike certain fighters.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Davey Crockett likes this.
  2. Fahcough

Fahcough Red Belt

Not really. I get taken out of a good mood when certain fighters lose but never emotionally invested in any of their crap.

It's like politics, they're going to dig up all the dirt. And these guys punch each other for a living, can't expect honest upstanding gentlemen.

3. Dingaling

Dingaling Purple Belt

I actually enjoy it more because of those reasons, when something happens it gives me a bunch of laughs seeing the nerds outraged about something that doesn't matter.

4. Adamant

Adamant GOLD BELT

I enjoyed MMA better when it had some real PRIDE.

FrontNakedChoke likes this.
  5. Dream Evil

Dream Evil Purple Belt

I agree to an extent.... I remember watching older events, when you really didn't know much about the fighters. It made them seem a lot more mysterious and savage.

Nowadays it's harder to be awed by these guys because they've got pictures of their smiling kids on Facebook, and they've got selfies of themselves doing laundry on Twitter.

Beejay Pin likes this.
  6. Fincher7

Fincher7 Purple Belt

Calling someone who's white 'white' is not racist.

arrelione likes this.
  7. Beejay Pin

Beejay Pin Green porridge Double Yellow Card

Lol I don't mean that. More how Dana lies and denies everything, up until hours before an announcement.

Fighter pay and dorks arguing about how fighter x is a better draw like they own shares in the company or some shit. Seeing Rondas real character, wmma was already low on my radar and she's m ade me dislike it more until Holm saved us.

8. Rizz

Rizz Purple Belt

I was in your boat but now I ignore all the BS that is outside of fighting. I love MMA again. All that crap has nothing to do with me and I can do nothing to change. Why would I bother myself with it then? Watch the sport you love and ignore the negative crap. I understand not everyone can do this but I have always been able to compartmentalize things.

9. Fincher7

Fincher7 Purple Belt

I think threads got merged or something because I posted that in a Mark Hunt thread.

10. Davey Crockett

Davey Crockett Mane, Firmino, Salah Banned

I remember first tuning in and thinking that these guys must have all been millionaires - all the toughest dudes on planet earth, and then found out it's like 10k for some. Took the sheen of it for sure. The more you learn about Dana the less you like him too

Beejay Pin likes this.
  11. Agnawedbone

Agnawedbone Yellow Card Yellow Card

It was just the honeymoon phase, a flood of pleasing chemicals in your brain that has now settled. This is the moment when you realize if you are actually a fan of mma.. or not.

12. in the liver

in the liver Mo froots Yellow Card

its amazing how much coverage is devoted to pay, contracts, and shit like "x deserves a title shot but its better for marketing reasons if y gets a shot. x can fight z and the winner can get a shot" and all that shit

13. Coolidge

Coolidge Banned Banned

I still enjoy it, but that's because I'm mature enough to understand that the fighters had the option of joining other organizations and didn't have to sign a contract for what you perceive to be unsatisfactory pay.