1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

I doubt very much Jones can hold Francis down anymore!

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by true_fan, Mar 3, 2021.

1. true_fan Silver Belt

If he couldn’t hold Reyes down how the heck can he hold the boogeyman down! If this fight ever happens I know 100% Francis would KO Jones out cold unless he loses his eye sight by Jones! I also think that Francis had gained back his confidence and looks more jacked than Eva, what do u think?

2. Get To Da Choppa Brown Belt

I don't think Jon Jones could ever hold Francis down even during his prime, aka chicken legs 205 days.

Plus Francis has been training against grappling 10 people at once and getting his brown belt in Derrick Lewis's Just-Get-Up-Jitsu

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  3. greenhawk zzzz

Jones is a point fighter. (Leg kicks, 1-2 ) X 5 rounds. This works well in LHW as he enjoyed a size and significant reach advantage over 99% of the roster.
    At HW he wont have any physical advantage over the rest. He'll face the real HW power.

true_fan likes this.
  4. ChristianZilla Yellow Belt

Stipe kept him down after Ngannou gassed. Think 252lbs Jones can't? Now if Jones even gets the chance to grapple is the real question lol.
    Until we see Big Frank's takedown defense and cardio tested then we don't know how much he has improved. All we know now is he has been able to find KO's real dang quick ever since the Stipe loss.

5. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

No idea, Jones at 245-255 lbs is totally new spectacle to Jones at 205 imo.. I think Jones has as much chance of holding him down as Francis does of knocking him out... Though Francis has been held down and Jones has never been KO'd.

6. Zanderlini Green Belt

Don't underestimate Jon Jones' black magic fuckery.

7. Kyler Ruxin Custom Title

If it goes longer than a round Jones can hold down a Francis that can't breath anymore.

8. Misanthropist Purple Belt

Ngannou is a 1 round fighter, Jones is a 5 round fighter so I can see him imitiating Stipe’s tactics to stall for a decision win.

9. arcadeperfect Brown Belt

That version of Jones is susceptible to gassing out hard. Considering how lethargic he felt during the OSP fight, it doesn't bode well for his HW debut.

10. WHITE ANDERSON Banned Banned

honest question: when was the last time jones held someone down? maybe gustafsson when he was pico pulsing and they had to move the fight to a different state at the last minute? jones couldn't even get dominick reyes down

11. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

Why so? Because of the gap between fights? That Jones still had decent output with 163 strikes and successfully pulled off 3/5 takedowns, one judging even giving him a 10-8 round.
    Who knows really, it's all guess work.

12. arcadeperfect Brown Belt

Not only did he look lethargic he even confirmed that he felt sluggish in that fight. There's another large gap between his previous fight and his HW debut so the same circumstances are in play just like the OSP fight except this time it looks like he's putting on more mass than he did previously. It's not hard to imagine someone getting tired due to not being used to competing at a noticeably higher bodyweight especially if they opt to wrestle/grapple against a giant like Francis.

13. mmamxfan Blue Belt

I think Jones loses to Stipe, but he also wrecks Francis and his windmilling amateur punching technique.

14. Yojimbonufc Blue Belt

Wouldn't the lack of a weight cut benefit his conditioning? I can't imagine he's on a diet of beer, chocolate and maccys.

15. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

I'm aware it was an off fight for him, however i'm also aware he won every round and basically cruised.. It was neither here nor there.
    He's had long lay offs in fights since then too, DC after OSP was a long time, Gustaffson after that was also.. It's obviously not ideal but I don't think we can make any meaningful judgement off of it. Could it have an impact? yes of course ... But Jones is one of the most cerebral and smart fighters with regards to gameplans and getting it done one way or another, he grinds, Francis hasn't come close to showing a plan B or any meaningful grit and cardio..
    It's true he could get tired, he's never noticeably gassed like Francis has in that Stipe fight though, which seems far more likely imho.

16. arcadeperfect Brown Belt

Bulking up can cause stamina issues. Not saying it will, but considering it affected him in the OSP fight it's possible that his body doesn't respond well to it in terms of stamina.

17. jk7707 Red Belt

This is the big question. Will Jones improved power make up for what will most definitely be lost speed and cardio. And will his chin be able to take the punches from guys who are 50lbs bigger than who he's fought so far.

18. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

Speed shouldn't be an issue as it's a far slower division than LHW in general.. Cardio has never been an issue for him, I just can't imagine him gassing he's very smart with his output. And his chin is maybe the best i've ever seen, almost all the shots he takes are glancing to some degree, has he ever been knocked down? And he's taken some powerful shots in his time.
    These are just my thoughts in favour though, there's certainly plenty that could go wrong.

19. jk7707 Red Belt

It's slower in general, but he will be slower as well depending on how heavy he ends up. Cardio at 205 has never been an issue, but adding 20+ lbs of muscle will diminish that. And I agree on his chin. He's been hit with some vicious shots, especially in his last few fights but those are guys at LHW. It's a different level at HW. Guys like Ngannou and the other heavy hitters weighing in at 265 are going to test that when he gets hit. I'm pumped to see how he does, although I will admit I'll be rooting against him just because I don't like him as a person, lol. But I respect him as one of the greats.

20. quadrunner Brown Belt

If jones wins it will be by kicks and keeping distance while avoiding bombs.

I don’t think he has the power to keep Francis from putting hands on him, but if Francis is timid then I can see him losing this fight.

I doubt jones can grapple Francis, he hasn’t shown that his grappling is elite without the roids. He’s only successfully used his td’s and GnP once in years and that was the gus rematch which doesn’t mean much to me since gus hasn’t been elite in the better part of a decade.