"I don't want to get bulky"

Guy at the gym "I wouldn't want to be as big or as strong as you."

Had to lol. Basically mean "I could never put that much effort into lifting to ever get there, so it's easier to act like I don't want to."

What dude that steps foot inside a gym doesn't want to be big and strong as fuck?

All of the dudes that want to look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club or like David Beckham (or any other skinny/athletic rich dude).

The truth is that even if their goals are different than yours they probably won't reach them anyway (and yes my ability to hit any gym goals has been terrible these last few years).

I want to be too bulky.

You just need the right genetics pal

calories-and-genetics.jpg

It's a pretty typical misconception. Doesn't make them an asshole, just means they were once told that, and never looked into it.

Had to lol. Basically mean "I could never put that much effort into lifting to ever get there, so it's easier to act like I don't want to."

What dude that steps foot inside a gym doesn't want to be big and strong as fuck?

Jim with the humble brag.

Kidding.

Me. Right now the goal is improving my sporting ability- and that means staying within range of 66.6kg.

I have no doubt that in a few years strength will become a priority- as will getting bigger. But, that's not the goal as it stands at the moment.

People using the tone word always makes me want to cry in pain. Especially dudes talking about toning up and not wanting to be huge. It cracks me up.

People using the tone word always makes me want to cry in pain. Especially dudes talking about toning up and not wanting to be huge. It cracks me up.

IIRC, tone is a thing though- it refers to passive muscular activation.

It's just that to have a high level of tone you need to have worked your ass off. Serious athletes have high levels of passive muscular activation, not people who mess around with light dumbbells once per week or do a bit of yoga every now and then. And you may also need to have low body fat in order for it to be visible- again, not especially easy to achieve for most people.

Keep in mind, you're largely asking for tips on how to lead a horse to water.

People who already have a stock of excuses as to why they won't do something will always find a way to keep avoiding it, no matter how logical your arguments are.

When dudes say it's not that bad because we've all known guys who've started lifting and do get big and puffy.

But women saying it drives me up the wall. Where are these big, muscular women at? I've certainly never met them in real life.

if you are a fat woman and do not fix your diet and lift weights to build muscle you will get bulkier.

Same thing as a dude.

Only if you increase cals to go along with the lifting. To stay at the same bodyfat level with the added caloric expenditure of regular lifting (as well as the pounds of new muscle adding resistance training will provide) will require a huge surplus (and fatties are already eating so much).

Resistance training is a great way to increase muscle but this requires a surplus of calories and is a pathetically slow process (as opposed to gaining fat). The average life time natural gains of a male is 30 pounds (so someone 155 pounds 10 percent bodyfat untrained at 5'10 will max out around 185 at 10 percent). This seems small but is Tibau in fight shape.

For a female gains will be even slower, with 15 pounds of muscle gained from untrained to maxed out being decent.

Basically with roid use so rampant the reality of how "bulky" weights will make you is hilariously skewed. It's a rare natural indeed who can look "bulky" after only a few months of lifting. Of course fat people will look very bulky but I'm talking people sub 10 percent body fat here (otherwise we're just talking about fat and frame, the two things that actually make naturals look bulky).

IIRC, tone is a thing though- it refers to passive muscular activation.

It's just that to have a high level of tone you need to have worked your ass off. Serious athletes have high levels of passive muscular activation, not people who mess around with light dumbbells once per week or do a bit of yoga every now and then. And you may also need to have low body fat in order for it to be visible- again, not especially easy to achieve for most people.

I was always under the impression that "toned" is having a lower body fat percentage with and adequate amount of muscle. So basically you either have the muscle or you don't and the only way to show it is with a lower bodyfat percentage but you can't "tone" a muscle.

Keep in mind, you're largely asking for tips on how to lead a horse to water.

People who already have a stock of excuses as to why they won't do something will always find a way to keep avoiding it, no matter how logical your arguments are.

When you don't want to do something one excuse is as good as any other.

I was always under the impression that "toned" is having a lower body fat percentage with and adequate amount of muscle. So basically you either have the muscle or you don't and the only way to show it is with a lower bodyfat percentage but you can't "tone" a muscle.

As I say, I am reasonably sure it's a scientific thing. But when people use it in normal conversation, that's probably not what they mean- they mean, some moderate level of muscular development and moderately low body fat.

Oh yeah, here you go:

In physiology, medicine, and anatomy, muscle tone (residual muscle tension or tonus) is the continuous and passive part contraction of the muscles, or the muscle's resistance to passive stretch during resting state.[1] It helps to maintain posture and declines during REM sleep

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_tone

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/muscle+tone

I think every male, when a child has wished to be bigger and stronger than a bully/adult/whatever. I can't understand anyone who wants to be lame. I guess they might just not want to do the work.

This is like saying "I'm going to drop out of school, I don't want to get too nerdy".

Back