I Don't Understand What Bisping Has Done To Deserve The Cung Le Fight

Cung's career will just be fun fights. And the bisping fight is one a lot of people would like to see. Bisping has some of the best boxing in mma, and he and Le could have a great fight.

I have never been a Bisping fan but wtf? When did Cung Lee become the fight you really gotta prove you deserve? The dude is like over 40 and basically retired. I know Bisping seems to think he is still in the title hunt somehow which is crazy. But this is like crazy to the other extreme. Not that he couldn't lose but come on. I never thought I would ever make a post about how Bisping deserves more respect but that's absurd

lol, since when did you have to do something to deserve a fight with Cung Le?

No offense to Cung, he's actually one of my favorites... But seriously. It's Bisping. I like this fight.

Bisping is a vet at this point who will never get a title shot. Let him fight who ever to keep him busy.

Bisping just came off a definitive loss to Tim Kennedy. Cung Le has been inactive for awhile, but last KO'd Rich Franklin cold, which is a better win than Bisping has ever accomplished. Le might only have 1 or 2 more fights left in him. Stands to reason that you'd want to give him a fight where the opponent stands to gain something from the win and is deserving of the fight. You have Kennedy, Rockhold, and even Jacare who could use the win over Le to get the casuals interested in them. And if you want to just showcase Le's striking, there's better striking based fighters out there that offer more excitement than Bisping's hit and run style.

This fight just seems like a terrible waste of what little is left of Cung Le's MMA career. Bisping doesn't deserve it off merit and it could have been used as a way to elevate the opponent with a win.

You are not a matchmaker please stop trying to be one.

this is a good fight. Two big name gatekeepers who like to strike.

just let 'em bang, bro.

Neither of these guys will ever be champion of their division, or any for that matter. Yet, both are well known. This match makes sense to me. It's for novelty, if nothing else.

and here I was wondering what Cung Le has done in the last 19 months to earn a fight with one of the most recognized TUF champions of all time and pioneer for the sport of MMA in his country.

Same here. Except for the last part.

Cung Le's inactivity hasn't helped him, but I understand why the fight's going on. UFC probably wants Bisping to win and a win over Cung puts him right back in there and a loss to Cung doesn't hurt him too much since Cung ain't no bum. When Bisping loses, a fight with Franklin could work out maybe.

If Cung wins then Bisping has to retire

Deserve cung le... I don't think le has some status where you have to be worthy of fighting him, he's an old, middle-tier, novelty fighter and bisping has always been a top 10 sometimes 5 middleweight. If anything cung le is the lucky one because it seems like every other middleweight wants to fight bisping.

lol what has Cung done to deserve it on the flip side?

he's coming off a ko win over an aging Rich Franklin, amazing knockout but still not exactly on the level of Kennedy/Rockhold/Jacare.. imo this is just setting up the winner to get knocked out by, I mean fight Anderson Silva

1. Casuals have no idea who Cung Le is, therefore assuming that defeating him will help Kennedy, Jacare or Rockhold build their names is just wrong.

2. All three of those guys are too high up the ladder and have no business fighting Le unless he is a late injury replacement.

3. A victory over Bisping makes Le much more relevant in 185, although still no where near the title or top 10, a loss by Le means nothing, as you noted he is all but done in this sport. For Bisping a victory helps him straighten out his career and jaw about making one last run at the title (Between the two Bisping is the bigger name), while a loss to Le just keeps Bisping on the road his is currently on, which is no big deal as it looks like he is officially on the downside of his career anyhow, 185 is passing him by.

4. They are both irrelevant to the 185 title picture, so who gives a shit? They actually completely deserve each other at this point. It could be a fun fight and if a fight has no bearing on the title picture, that is literally all that matters.

1. Casuals have no idea who Cung Le is, therefore assuming that defeating him will help Kennedy, Jacare or Rockhold build their names is just wrong.

2. All three of those guys are too high up the ladder and have no business fighting Le unless he is a late injury replacement.

3. A victory over Bisping makes Le much more relevant in 185, although still no where near the title or top 10, a loss by Le means nothing, as you noted he is all but done in this sport. For Bisping a victory helps him straighten out his career and jaw about making one last run at the title (Between the two Bisping is the bigger name), while a loss to Le just keeps Bisping on the road his is currently on, which is no big deal as it looks like he is officially on the downside of his career anyhow, 185 is passing him by.

4. They are both irrelevant to the 185 title picture, so who gives a shit? They actually completely deserve each other at this point. It could be a fun fight and if a fight has no bearing on the title picture, that is literally all that matters.

4. Maybe actually most people like seeing two guys have a scrap, and dont always care if the guys are gonna be fighting for a title.

Neither guy is near a title shot and Bisping is a guy who is gonna stand and trade with him. I think both guys realize that their spot in the division isn't going up or down win or lose. Reminds me of the Silva v Stann fight. Everyone knew there wasn't really anything on the line it was just a fun fight.

I actually like this fight. Le has no title aspirations and Bisping isn't close to a title shot. If Le wins it doesn't knock off a potential title contender.

It's a fun fight between two names.

Way to succinctly lay down the old /thread. Nice.

4. Maybe actually most people like seeing two guys have a scrap, and dont always care if the guys are gonna be fighting for a title.

Exactly. If the guys aren't seriously working their way up the ladder to a TS, forget all the ranking and "Does X EVEN DESERVE Y" bull, at that point I just want to be entertained.

Back