I dont understand the Palhares hate.

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by Wooting, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Wooting

Wooting Green Belt

What he does is not exactly wrong, we finally get an aggressive sub artist which everybody is clamoring for and hes shunned. Out of all these "OH MY GOD HE HELD ON WAY TOO LONG" late stoppages hes maybe seriously injured 1 person.

I assume everybody wants him to only put 70% into his subs just to make sure the other fighter is not hurt. Does anybody recall him vs Dan Miller? He let that guy up early and almost cost himself the fight. Hes honestly not out there to hurt people hes out there to win and secure his win, adrenaline flowing and he generally lets go as the ref touches him or 1 second later.

2. sf87

sf87 Orange Belt

There's always one lol. I don't hate him but can understand why he has people rustled.

I think Shields tapped like 12 times and one second is a long time when your in a fully locked in sub like a knee bar.

That one second can also end your career if your in a knee bar.

3. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

I totally agree. He should be able to hold onto the hold as he wants, as the defeated fighter is screaming in pain, just as long as he doesn't pernamently injure him.

4. Total Immortal

Total Immortal Blackhawk Belt Platinum Member

I understand the criticism, however I don't think he does it intentionally.

5. D1wrestla

D1wrestla Purple Belt

He's a repeat offender and this time he was eye gouging. Pretty easy to understand imo

6. CountOfSoCal

CountOfSoCal Black Belt

It's not the fact that he's an "aggressive grappler," when he's hunting for his subs. It's the fact that he feels the need to continue cranking the subs after people tap out. It's seriously as simple as letting go with one hand. One hand. Yet he can't seem to do it, couple that with his positive test a while back, and it's not a good look for him in any sense.

In reality, he got the submission of the freaking year. Take into account that it's Jake Shields of all people, and that's one of the best subs in a few years, but his controversy killed it.

7. neomage2021

neomage2021 Silver Belt

Of course he does. I've been grappling years and years. As well as taught children's and adult grappling classes. Even small children learn how to properly let go when there is a tap.

YOu know what, if he wants to crank hard like Mir does, that is fine. But when there is a tap it's time to let go. The ref should never have to forcefully pull you off someone who is frantically tapping.

8. thekartesian

thekartesian The Major

He seems like he enjoys cranking the sub and his admission that he is not able to feel the tap is an absolute garbage excuse. If that is the case then nobody will want to train jiu-jitsu with him as he will end your shit.

9. Francis Rossi

Francis Rossi Here's a song for ya

No-one does. He got thrown out of BTT for injuring people and apparently rolls with his brother now.

10. Mr Moist

Mr Moist Purple Belt

It's amazing how fast guys tap and scream as soon as he locks in a sub, which I think does play a part into making his submissions look more ruthless. But to be fair, he's had problems in the past with releasing subs. I thought the Shields fight was ok, and even the fight against Pierce which caused his release from the UFC was overblown. But that is what happens when you establish a reputation of being dirty.

I will still cheer for him and I hope he gets more fights because think he is the most exciting grappler in mma. But his reputation, and possibly his career as an mma fighter are screwed, and I can't say I feel bad for him. I don't think he is as malicious as a lot of people think, and I don't think he goes in there to try and end guys careers. Personally, I think he just has an extremely low iq. But whatever the case may be, he's had too many incidents like committing stupid fouls, and questionable sub releases that he is a liability. Even if you don't think he held onto the Shields sub too long, he still is dumb to not release it as soon as the ref gets there because of his reputation and past punishments. He's even had incidents in grappling tournaments, so the fans that say he deserves no criticism, are just as silly as the ones that say he should be banned for life. There are guys that have done much worse things outside the cage who continued fighting and getting support, than Palhares has done inside the cage in a sanctioned fight against another pro fighter. So even though I can't say that I'm a huge fan of him anymore, and I can't approve of all of his actions in the cage, I feel like I must see more. Should I feel guilty about it?

11. JacJeanFinger

JacJeanFinger Purple Belt

Henderson vs Bisping

Hendo got lucky with haymaker and sent the brit to the canvas unconscious. It was obvious the fight had ended right there but Hendo added one more huge blow to the sleeping brit's head, saying he did it on purpose to shut him up.

Did Hendo get suspended for this? I don't think so.
    Palhares held the sub for a few extra seconds to teach Shields to save breath ('Cause he talked too much).

In my opinion, what Shields said about Palhares before the fight was right. But this is war. If you can't back up your criticism, you shouldn't say anything.

12. JacJeanFinger

JacJeanFinger Purple Belt

When you call someone stupid and vow to give him a good ass whupping, you're not supposed to get caught in a basic sub and get tapped out after gassing. MMA is a man's sport, you know what I'm saying?

I was rooting for Shields to win. I bet 2500 on Shields. I was with Shields every time he fought in the past too. But I think Palhares is not the one to blame. If anyone was to blame, it's gotta be Mazzagatti who didn't prevent eye gouging.

13. Mr Moist

Mr Moist Purple Belt

It's funny how Shields corner was yelling for Jake to break Palhares's arm minutes before Palhares hits the kimura on Jake, and it makes the submission even sweeter. But it isn't war. There are rules for a reason. Palhares broke the rules a few times with the eye poke and Jake with the sucker punch after the bell. Both guys need to learn to control themselves.

14. ThunderL1ps

ThunderL1ps Red Belt

I find the whole situation ridiculous with the way people are carrying on about the situation.

It boils down to incompetent officiating. How many times has Mazzagatti not known when a submission is applied? He is either not recognizing it in time or out of position or both. He gets chance after chance after chance with no apparent repercussions.

IMO, Ray Sefo is going about this all wrong. Either go after the athletic commission for sending them Steve Mazagatti or let the athletic commission do their job and determine if Palhares was in the wrong. Let Palhares have his day in court rather than just stripping him. I thought it was a bit heavy-handed out of the gate.

15. Sohei

Sohei Manning the air

Honestly Mazz should be getting the brunt of the criticism. If he had deducted points for the eye attacks and jumped on Paul as soon as Jake tapped there probably would be no controversy right now.

16. NHB7

NHB7 Steel Belt

It's not hard to learn to let go of a sub. Other fighters have gotten in trouble for holding a sub too long. But no - one has done it repeatedly as many times as Palhares. So to act like, "he just didn't know" or "he really wasn't trying to" is ridiculous. Why can't he figure out what literally every other single fighter in the history of the sport has figured out?

17. Bat Dad

Bat Dad Dark Knight Belt Banned

TS?
    [​IMG]

18. mommas homeboy

mommas homeboy cautiously optimistic

I hate his guts, but loved that he was in the UFC so we could see Hector kick the shit out of him. Dana cutting him was an excellent move.

He cranked the shit out of Shields arm....WAY after he felt Jake's tap and the ref's tapping. He is a dirty ass fighter, why do you think Shields punched him in the face after it was over? Maybe you should watch the fight's ending again.

By the way....it's not that Palhares shouldn't give it 100%, TS....it's that he should stop cranking without the opponent and the ref having to tap for about four full seconds.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  19. rushthernc

rushthernc White Belt

How many times do you people need it explained to you why there is a difference?

1. Henderson is not a repeat offender of such actions (someone else posted a bunch of GIF's showing 6-7 times where Palhares didn't let go when he needed to after being physically touched by the ref).

2. The fight does not end until the ref stops the fight which did not happen in this fight until after the second hit.

I am not saying that what Hendo did was ok but stop pretending like the two situations are the same. It just makes you look really stupid.

20. JohnRem

JohnRem Yellow Belt

I love him, great for the sport