I dont understand striking...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
In Jujitsu the more you train the better you get overtime and you can't just have a random white belt tapping out black belts unless they have a catch wrestling or samba for a ground game.

But with striking in the MMA, people with rudimentary training are beating guys with experience.

Examples:

Joe Riggs has been boxing since he was 5 years old and when he fought Diego at 25 years of age, he got KOed.

Anderson Silva has been striking since he was a kid starting with TKD and moving on to thai boxing and boxing. Afterwards he loses to Chris Weidman who has been kickboxing for 2 years at that point!

I have been boxing since late 2007, took 4 years off and I am having a hard time with a guy who has been doing it for 2 years!

Now granted I can't be bitter because 4 years is a long time but what about Anderson and Joe Riggs? They didn't take time off and yet they lost to guys with shit striking!

In Jujitsu the more you train the better you get overtime and you can't just have a random white belt tapping out black belts unless they have a catch wrestling or samba for a ground game.

But with striking in the MMA, people with rudimentary training are beating guys with experience.

Examples:

Joe Riggs has been boxing since he was 5 years old and when he fought Diego at 25 years of age, he got KOed.

Anderson Silva has been striking since he was a kid starting with TKD and moving on to thai boxing and boxing. Afterwards he loses to Chris Weidman who has been kickboxing for 2 years at that point!

I have been boxing since late 2007, took 4 years off and I am having a hard time with a guy who has been doing it for 2 years!

Now granted I can't be bitter because 4 years is a long time but what about Anderson and Joe Riggs? They didn't take time off and yet they lost to guys with shit striking!
MMA striking is completely different than traditional striking. Period. End of Story.

lol troll

Reflexes ?
Different training ?
Different angles ?
Keep training with this guy, he will improve you and fill the holes in your game tenfold... You're doing the same for him too.

I personally don't fight (officially) but in the sports I do do, the comments stand true.

Ever heard of BJ Penn TS? He was tapping out guys with much higher belts when he started BJJ. He got his black belt in 3 years and then became first non-Brazilian to win World Jiu-Jitsu championship. People have natural talent.

I understand but if someone had a jump start, how can talent close the gap in such a short time?

MMA striking is completely different than traditional striking. Period. End of Story.

Striking is still striking bro, I mean a kick is still a kick as is a punch

lol troll

I realized the word "samba" I assume it was autocorrect and thats because the word "Sambo" is also a racial slur so it got autocorrected when I was typing.

Examples:

Anderson was being a clown, thats why weidman KO'd him. Silva has the superior hands.

Jon Jones is a white belt. He has the record for most submission wins in LHW history. Most of them against black belts.

It's true in striking you can advance much more quickly via talent and attention to detail

It's not as about putting in the hours grinding away (with striking),
that's more a wrestling/grappling thing, because grappling relies partly more on strength and conditioning than striking does by far. Super skinny guys and ridiculous looking fat guys can do amazing things in striking, not so much in grappling

51041c034209e4f070e4c0af49c43d50.jpg

cant understand striking? want someone to draw you a picture?

u fuckin idiot

Theres a whole forum section for this stuff

Ever heard of BJ Penn TS? He was tapping out guys with much higher belts when he started BJJ. He got his black belt in 3 years and then became first non-Brazilian to win World Jiu-Jitsu championship. People have natural talent.

Here is the thing with BJ Penn, he came from a rich background and his family provided him the finances to train full time during an era where you never made any money since BJJ and MMA was fringe and not main stream.

When BJ started training, he was competing against folks who had to hold down a job and make a living while Penn could 100 percent commit himself to BJJ and not worry about money.

But guys like Anderson Silva and Joe Riggs are in a place that can train full time. Silva was well off financially when he lost to Weidman and in Diesels case, he lives in Arizona, houses and prices are cheap and he has a name behind him.

When BJ started training, he was competing against folks who had to hold down a job and make a living while Penn could 100 percent commit himself to BJJ and not worry about money.

Wrong. He was tapping out seasoned black belts with their own BJJ schools who did BJJ as a full time profession. In BJJ tourneys that is.

Training matters a lot. Mayweather is good because his old man was a boxer, not a great one but a good one. When you know how to be good at something and you have a kid, you can teach them to be great at it from childhood.

speed and reflexes have much more to do with striking than BJJ. like liddell loved to say, anyone can "just get caught", but it's a lot harder to "catch" a BJJ expert with a submission because (usually) a lot more setup is required.

Back