I don't think there is enough appreciation for Cain Velasquez

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ROAR**, Sep 27, 2013.

1. ROAR**

ROAR** Orange Belt

12-1
    10 TKO finishes
    9 first round finishes
    Wins over Junior Dos Santos (former champ), Antonio Silva (x2), Brock Lesnar (former champ), Minotauro Nogueira (former interim champ).

Aside from the first fight with JDS (which he more than avenged in the rematch and likely will in the rubber match), the man has looked unbeatable in all of his UFC fights, never losing more than a few seconds of each fight. What's more, he has only had 13 fights total, so the room for improvement is still there (most notably, his head movement/jab has come leaps and bounds within the past two years).

I still feel he doesn't get the recognition he deserves in p4p rankings. He is ranked 5, sure, but it seems like he'll never be considered above Jones/GSP/Aldo or even Anderson, which is a tad unfair. He doesn't have any physical advantages for his weight class (Jones) nor is he physically large (Aldo, to some extent GSP). To me, he is the epitome of the p4p best fighter: cut little to no weight but dominate anyone regardless of size.

What's sad is even if he beats JDS again brutally, he won't have anyone else to really make a legacy off of. Barnett, Werdum, and perhaps even Travis Browne are available but those aren't names that people will look back on and really romanticize.

Oddly enough, even though HW is pretty strong at the moment (comparatively speaking) it seems like Cain's tango with JDS will be the only thing that keeps him relevant in terms of p4p. Everything else will simply be 'squash' matches.

Thoughts?

2. wartor

wartor Thug #22 Belt

Jose Aldo 23-1
    Jon Jones 20-1
    Renan Barao 31-1-1-1
    GSP 24-2

Cain 12 -1

I think he gets the right amount of appreciation, let him season a bit before you serve him any more appreciation.

3. istay

istay Purple Belt

He's number 5 in p4p, which is pretty damn good considering the smaller skillsets of HWs, so how is that not enough recognition.

4. ROAR**

ROAR** Orange Belt

Lower skillsets?

5. wartor

wartor Thug #22 Belt

Exactly if anyone should be mad it's Renan Bar

6. Fyreborn

Fyreborn Brown Belt

Cain gets tons of props and hype. What are you talking about?

7. ROAR**

ROAR** Orange Belt

8. TFanatic

TFanatic Silver Belt

Besides the big 4, who could you put on top of him p4p? And you can't say BW is more shallow than HW

9. styopa

styopa Banned Banned

He's the best heavyweight in the world right now. Amazing heart, cardio and power. Doesn't talk shit and seems like a genuine, humble, hardworking guy and a family man.

But I'm a JDS fan and I'll be rooting for him.

10. Momanjabo

Momanjabo Green Belt

Renan's the one who we should be bitching about not getting enough appreciation

11. istay

istay Purple Belt

Cain should be p4p based on what beating JDS and Lesnar?

Nog is old and has lost plenty of times but is a very good fighter, he's nowhere elite though. Antonio Silva didn't look as good as previously thought to be(was ranked 4th when he was beat by Cain). Lesnar didn't look good either. HW is a shallow division anyhow(extremely entertaining,but shallow).

Not serious obviously. It's easy to discredit a fighter's wins, but you can't deny Barao has the skills to be top p4p. He has perfect TDD, outstrikes everyone in his division, and has killer BJJ and offensive wrestling to go along with it.

12. WinterSoldier

WinterSoldier Black Belt

Cain gets nothing but rave reviews at the gym I train at and even here at Sherdog. You must be ill informed or do not read the forums very much.

13. BlastoiseDad

BlastoiseDad Al-hamdullilah

Cain is ranked too highly at #5 p4p. In terms of overall skills, Barao is leagues better. No disrespect to Cain. Plus Barao has accomplished more.

14. The Real Pedro

The Real Pedro Red Belt

P4P lists usually underrate heavyweights. In fact, one could argue that's the only reason they exist. With the possible exception of Jon Jones, he would make very short work of every other fighter on that list.

15. TrueBias

TrueBias Silver Belt

Thank you! Thank you for using total fight experience!

If anything, one would be more tuned in to call cain a rookie than a goat. Somewhere in the middle is where he lies and rightfully so

16. unknown48

unknown48 Green Belt

He is a badass, so much so I am not looking forward to JDS/Cain 3. It will look like a repeat of the second fight much like his second destruction of bigfoot was just like the first. The first JDS fight was the fluke and I don't see anyone that can beat him at HW right now, sure as hell not JDS. Barnett would be most exciting to me, not that he would win just would be a cool match up.

17. TrueBias

TrueBias Silver Belt

Amazing? Amazing heart? Jds survived a clinic with him so between the 2, who has a more. .. amazing heart?

18. Dart Feld

Dart Feld Steel Belt

Cain's a great fighter. He'd turn more heads if he was more well rounded and added a submission threat imo.

Just a theory. Cain at least tried with that armbar attempt against JDS in the second(third?) round of the rematch but yikes, that was not encouraging.

Third match is happening so soon, not really hyped for it. Wish there wasn't any teammate oath preventing the most exciting HW title fight, Cormier/Cain.

19. donfryeismyhero

donfryeismyhero Brown Belt

Elequently said my friend.

20. GUSWER**

GUSWER** Purple Belt

He gets all the appreciation he deserves. I see very few people around here talking crap about him.